Garmin Devices Issues

I had heard about this.  Surprised they didn't have a better fire wall in place.  This sort of thing has happened for years.  I know a vets practice that was hacked a few years ago.  No access to any medical records, billing records, etc etc.  They paid thousands to the hacker to unlock everything.  They were dead in the water without their system.  They built a robust fire wall after that.

Fire Marshal Bill

I got an email from Garmin saying that they were having technical problems and would be back up and running ASAP. I didn't know about them being hacked until I saw it on the news. 

Cooter Brown

This involves aviation nav as well.  I wonder how deeply the Feds are involved in investigating this.

Seem that few of these miscreants get caught and fewer get effective punishment, and some have proven to be state actors.

Nasty business.

Yea I am shocked they are still down, I think they went down sometime Weds night. Agree on the aviation part, I would think Feds would be all over it. 

Wow, knew my watch wouldn't sync (got the alert that their servers were down), but had no idea they'd been hacked. No big deal to me, but as others have said, Garmin's the king when it comes to General Aviation nav systems. Not so much the commercial side, so the big boys won't notice it as much.

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, Speaks said:

Yea I am shocked they are still down, I think they went down sometime Weds night. Agree on the aviation part, I would think Feds would be all over it. 

I think the feds take this stuff seriously under any circumstances--the aviation aspect of it probably ups the ante.

Atticus or tut might have some better perspective on the LE portion of this.

30 minutes ago, Spin1 said:

We used our tracking collars today for training and didn't have a problem.

The problem arises when one attempts to use Garmin products that use Garmin servers.  So far as I know they are still down. A person would think a major software user like Garmin would have robust security. 

Mike da Carpenter

Maybe that is why my Alpha synced up instantly this morning.  The past couple of months have been hit or miss as to whether it would sync up at all.  Never has the sync happed as fast as it did today.  It might not be so bad for “everyone”.

I would be cautious about trying to sync to Garmin servers while this is going on. Might create a pathway from the hacker to your personal PC.

5 hours ago, quailguy said:

The problem arises when one attempts to use Garmin products that use Garmin servers.  So far as I know they are still down. A person would think a major software user like Garmin would have robust security. 

I would think they do have robust security, still doesn't mean it can't happen. Crazy times right now for sure. I have just emptied the freezer too from my stockpile during the initial outbreak in March. Gonna start loading her up again, pantry too.

10 hours ago, ryanr said:

I would think they do have robust security, still doesn't mean it can't happen. Crazy times right now for sure. I have just emptied the freezer too from my stockpile during the initial outbreak in March. Gonna start loading her up again, pantry too.

There are several vendors which provide very robust ransomeware protection. They are not cheap, and perhaps some don’t care for the cost. 

https://go.crowdstrike.com.  Is well known for its capabilities in this area.