REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ryanr

E-collar problems: sudden increase to stimulation levels

ryanr

I suddenly have a major issue with both of my Pro 550 e-collars (not the Plus model.) The stimulation levels in both collars is much higher than it should be. I'm going to contact Garmin of course but anyone ever experience this?

Even on level 1 it is abnormally high on both collars. After both of my dogs about jumped right into the air on level 2 Low I knew something was wrong. So I put each collar on the inside of my wrist and tested it on level 2, definitely much higher than normal. Then I did level 1 and it was also much higher than normal. You should barely be able to feel a tickle on 1 and it was much more than that. One collar is 7 years old, the other is 3 years old. The transmitters also 7 years old.

We were doing water work yesterday and I began to realize their might be an issue shortly after that.

ryanr

Both collars are now working normal. Strange as hell. I'm guessing it had to be a moisture issue? Gonna snug the prongs up good, noticed lately they sometimes work loose. 

Cooter Brown

Water will definitely lessen the resistance and increase the perceived zap.

If you've done water work with the same collars and not noticed as big a difference there might be an issue.

The fact that both collars behaved the same way tells us something, like it's either the water issue or something with the handheld.

ryanr
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Water will definitely lessen the resistance and increase the perceived zap.

If you've done water work with the same collars and not noticed as big a difference there might be an issue.

The fact that both collars behaved the same way tells us something, like it's either the water issue or something with the handheld.

Yeah, oddly enough it actually seemed okay at the water but it was right after we goy home that I got the first hint (which I only realized in hindsight the next day when I definitively knew there was an issue.) And then like I said last evening everything was back to normal was still notmal this morning. I'm charging them up now so when I get home from work I'm going to check both collars again.

Both of these collars and the transmitter have given me years of foolproof service and that includes being in the water a lot. But eventually things wear but if that's indeed the case it's not exactly great timing for me. So far in July I've been furloughed, had one of my 550 Plus collars stop working, punctured a tire on my commuter car and then had these two collars act up. But I still have my health and I'm back to work now. 

grouse28

I would remove the prongs and allow to thoroughly dry. Both the male and female parts.