REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Tim Frazier

T5 mini, any practical downsides?

Tim Frazier

Any reason to get the regular T5 for running grouse/woodcock dogs in the East?

grouse28

Not that I have seen, although I have not had a side by side comparison. I like the smaller size.

Never had an issue with losing contact with a dog, unless there was extreme terrain issues or very heavy canopy, which would effect the regular one the same.

Cooter Brown

I've got two TT15s and a TT15 Mini.  I got the mini because the first time I took my young dog to UP he was barely 4 mos old and pretty small.

For practical purposes I don't see any need for the mini unless the dog is less than 30 pounds.  It might make sense if you were also using a beeper or an ecollar at the same time, but for years I ran dogs with an ecollar on the same collar strap as a DC40 and a big beeper (mostly a Lovett's VLT) on a separate collar.  Oftentimes a bell.  This was with 35 and 42 lb dogs and it didn't slow them down.

The most important use of the GPS collar is finding a lost dog, and here the advantage goes to the regular collar.  Out of the three collars, the Mini has noticeably less battery life than the bigger ones, and it's the newest of all of them.  If I had a smart phone I'd set it to video them overnight and fast forward to when they ran out of battery.  I can't say how much more battery life you get out of the regular size, but even if it's only a couple of hours (I think it's more) it could mean the difference between finding a dog and not.

I agree with Grouse28 that I've seen no real difference in communication with the two sizes.  I usually carry the Mini as a spare.

gunsrus

I've got the TT15 both regular and mini . I see no difference in performance . The mini has less battery but always enough for the day . I charge them every night anyway .  My dogs are not big and I've got trial bred Setters that fly through the woods and the mini is a lot smaller around their neck . I bought the mini because if my dogs could talk they would tell me to get the smaller unit . 😀

WAGinVA

The main reason I went to GPS collars was to prevent (or recover) lost dogs.  The battery life of the TT5 is significantly longer than the mini which equates to a longer window of opportunity to collect the occasional runaway.  I assume that both the TT5 and the mini both have the "recovery mode" where the unit automatically goes to the longest interval between signals at 25% battery life.  I am running DC40s and like Cooter I bought a Mini when I was traveling to the midwest with a very young puppy.  I have not used the mini since the pups first year (she is now 4).

dogrunner
40 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

I've got the TT15 both regular and mini . I see no difference in performance . The mini has less battery but always enough for the day . I charge them every night anyway .  My dogs are not big and I've got trial bred Setters that fly through the woods and the mini is a lot smaller around their neck . I bought the mini because if my dogs could talk they would tell me to get the smaller unit . 😀

I have both also and do the same thing. My dogs can talk and said they wanted less weight around there necks. 😉