REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Gundogger

Garmin Instinct Trackback

Gundogger

I had a problem finding my truck a couple of years ago even though I marked my truck on my Alpha when I headed into the woods.  Now that I have an Instinct, thanks to this board,  is the Tractback feature on the Instinct any better for finding a vehicle than the Alpha?

Do any of you know of a good instructional video for hunters like us?

fourtrax57

I have an Instinct watch. Didn't even know it had a track back feature............

dogrunner

Never had a problem with my Alpha with that issue. 

Cooter Brown

Practice navigating with the Alpha.  It's going to be much more accurate than the watch.

The long antenna on the Alpha is for radio communication with the collar.  The stubbier antenna is the GPS satellite antenna.  The Alpha and Astro share this platform, and the external antenna, with the top end GPS units in the Garmin line.  The other GPS units and the watches have a much smaller and less powerful patch antenna.

When I use the Alpha to navigate, I do it one of two ways.  From the map screen I'll place a pin (by tapping the screen) on the peanut trail I've left, or to a waypoint like the vehicle.  When you place a pin, it'll give distance and a compass bearing to where the pin is placed.  I'll use a compass to follow that bearing, or at least make sure I'm headed that way.

If I have a specific waypoint I want to get to, I'll look at the waypoint list and get the distance and bearing, but you can get that same info by placing the pin on the waypoint.  If the pin is not in the right spot, drag the map to adjust it instead of trying to reset the pin.

Seems crude and old fashioned, but in practice it's fast and easy.  Never got used to using only the device to navigate.

Gundogger

So you do this vs just saying yes to the screen that asks "Do you want to mark this location as the truck"?

Cooter Brown
3 hours ago, Gundogger said:

So you do this vs just saying yes to the screen that asks "Do you want to mark this location as the truck"?

I mark the truck location with a waypoint.  I've never used the Mark as Truck option.  Not even sure how it works or if it becomes a permanent waypoint or not.  I want a waypoint in case I want to hunt there again or just as importantly decide it's not worth it to go back.

grouse28

Mark as truck acts just like a waypoint. However at your next location if you “start a new hunt” it will delete the former truck location.

If you wish to return to the same spot mark it as a true waypoint as Cooter suggested.