REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Spin

Spam, the hunting/fishing, other (sort of ) red meat

Spin

Just curious, How many of us have eaten Spam or the equivalent at camp or a backwoods camping trip? How many eat it on a somewhat regular basis, say twice a month?

I largely kept some up at the cabin along with a number of easy storing food items that could go into a "tucker bag" for spur of the moment day trips or longer. I enjoyed it when I was young and still

.  do.

OldSarge

I like it fried crispy in cubes with some scrambled eggs. 

Brad Eden

On a whim, maybe once a year, I’ll buy a rectangle tin can of regular Spam. I slice it and fry it until crisp. Then I put it on white bread with copious amounts of yellow mustard. Salty grossness, I mean goodness.

Brdhntr47

Haven’t had it in 60+ years. I seem to remember that it was fried with a bit of brown sugar. It was fine.

SODAKer

It's the secrete to very good fried rice. 

Lurch

I've bought one can in my life - age 13. Buddy and I were fishing for catfish and the store was out of chicken livers, so we grabbed the next nastiest thing we could think of...

idcut

I probably buy a can of the turkey Spam (healthier 🤑) about every 3 or 4 months. I like it fried crisp as well and usually have a couple of fired eggs, over easy and grate some potatoes for hash browns. I'll fry it and eat it in a sandwich also. I was eyeballing the spam section yesterday at the store with the intent to purchase a can, but no turkey spam, so none came home with me! Whenever I mention I'm going to buy a can, when shopping with my wife, her only comment is "yuck!"

sprocket

Spam & eggs every once in a while.

And the term Span in regards to emails was termed so because of the sketch...

sneem

I love it fried crisp with eggs instead of bacon. Don’t eat it that often.

Clueless1

Been almost 20 years.  Still searching the interweb but in a previous life the Akron Beacon Journal did a story about the guys at the company I worked for.  For about 2-3 years they had "Spam Friday" in which 3-4 guys (rotated somewhat) would make a Spam dish each Friday for lunch.  The few that I remember were Spam bbq hamburgers, Spam n bean soup, Spam n egg omelets. 

Randy S

I always said that naugahyde was the leather from a Spam animal. 

Bird_Man_mike

I love it.  Eat it maybe once per month.  

Fried/grilled crispy over a bowl of rice with grilled pineapple, over easy egg, and some teriyaki.  So good. 

Or just fried crispy on a roll w/ grilled pinapple and teriyaki glaze.  

Spam fried rice.  Mmmm Hmmm.  

Spam musubi!

Cold Iron
10 minutes ago, Bird_Man_mike said:

I love it.  Eat it maybe once per month.  

Fried/grilled crispy over a bowl of rice with grilled pineapple, over easy egg, and some teriyaki.  So good. 

Or just fried crispy on a roll w/ grilled pinapple and teriyaki glaze.  

Spam fried rice.  Mmmm Hmmm.  

Mike gets it 🙂 So does this Mike.

Shot 5 Stand Sunday near Austin, Mn. where Spam is made. 

SpamMuseum01.jpg

It is actually a pretty simple food as far as ingredients go

MNAUSspam_ingredients_prov_620x300.jpg

In Hawaii it is a main staple and they access to a lot more flavors than most of us in the Mainland

n4CpGuj.jpg

Usually pan fry it but often smoke it. Scored deep with brown sugar sprinkled on top and pineapple glaze. Sitting next to the Atomic Buffalo Turds.

34674356076_fd28f68cec_b.jpg

Spam is ALMOST as good as scrapple. Almost.

Speaks

Not often but every once in awhile. Usually fried crispy with eggs or on a sandwich, I am sure there is a can in my pantry if I went to look. I have not eaten it without frying in quite some time but recall sandwiches with it right from the can were alright too. 

I used to eat it more often with eggs but it more or less got replaced with canned corned beef hash. 

Speaks

Not often but every once in awhile. Usually fried crispy with eggs or on a sandwich, I am sure there is a can in my pantry if I went to look. I have not eaten it without frying in quite some time but recall sandwiches with it right from the can were alright too. 

I used to eat it more often with eggs but it more or less got replaced with canned corned beef hash.