REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Spin

Spam, the hunting/fishing, other (sort of ) red meat

Big Al

Never have, never will.  Oh,oh there's that never word.

Tony Moore

Then you will never know what you have been missing.

topdog1961

Saturday evening, I had the best steak of my life. We were at my gr nephews bachelor party get away weekend, 11 family and friends staying in a big AirBnB in Cincinnati. A lot of good bourbon was drank, cigars smoked, and steaks grilled. We got an entire fresh beef loin from a local butcher. One of the guys was a grill master. You could cut it with a fork, and it melted in your mouth. 

But it was still not as good as the “Treat Meat Stew” my long departed mom made. It was Treat Meat in a cream sauce with either fresh or canned garden vegetables, depending upon what was in season. She grew up on a holler in Eastern KY during the Great Depression. She could make something fantastic from nothing.  Her recipe died with her. 

84D6C27C-41C1-41F0-ABC7-C8F2A8E1195F.jpeg

FAFD32C1-CEDF-4FD5-8474-48BC66A3C511.jpeg

CF0AF66C-BDA7-430D-BE71-4D13E455822E.jpeg

284217E5-A9B1-475C-A2EC-34A420AA003B.jpeg

Bloodhound

I love SPAM!  I grew up with it.  it was a regular for a Saturday lunch...my mom wasn't very creative with meals so it was just a sandwich meat during my childhood.  But I use it for lots of things now...when I am not with the family...My family all responds "Gross" when the topic comes up. 

I have spam when my wife is traveling, or when I am at the cabin.  There is spam in the pantry now.  I like it fried on a sandwich, chunked and fried with eggs, BBQed on the grill and it makes the best fried rice!  I eat it at least once a month. 

dogrunner

If you don’t have some your missing out, I like the bacon 🥓 breakfast of Champions. Fry it up and it taste great. 

AD58738F-CF8B-4143-935C-DB14CFB4DA28.jpeg

OceanRoamer

Just ate some tonight in a dish called musubi. Spam, Vienna Sausages, and MREs using find their way in my pack during hunting trips.

F7B5AED5-A919-486E-8724-957AF3A187E6.jpeg

Cheesy

Haven’t ate any since I was a little kid. 

Had a friend that was in my wedding, he quit the company I work for here I. A Missouri and moved back to Georgia as a supervisor in a Spam plant. Said that place ran well, if there was any downtime on a shift there would be hell to pay at the ops meeting. 

fishvik

Spam and Vegall used to come in initial attack food packs for out FS helicopter crew. One guy would have a spud in his PG pack and another guy would have an onion. We mix it together for a fire line meal. We called it Rocky Mountain Pile.

Spin
17 hours ago, SODAKer said:

It's the secrete to very good fried rice. 

Yeah!!  That is exactly what we had for dinner 2 nights ago. had it a couple of weeks before that. Makes a good substitute for ham in a tasty "Ham Salad Spread" or toasted Ham and Cheese sandwiches or diced and added to Mac & Cheese. I'll bet you could even rinse, dry, slice and dehydrate the stuff for a doable short storage jerky. Speaks I was thinking about canned corned beef hash this morning (which gave rise to this thread I suppose)

A lot of folks from my Parents generation ( The Great Depression's  generation) Looked at it as Hard Times food and turned away from it and the rough times they associated with it.

UplandHntr

Never

theres enough other food in the world

WyomingArt

IIRC growing up,  Spam was about  .30 or .40 / can. This was around  '49-' 50 or so.   We didn't have a lot of money.  Spam was affordable  along with hamburger,  stew meat or a pot roast ( the last two for Sunday only.)  

A  treat was a big feed in a small town church basement after a funeral or wedding.  No Spam there and lots of pies. Luckily we had a big family, so weddings and funerals came around often. 

Fast forward to 1960,  I went off to school and hit the culinary jackpot. No more Spam.   My roommate's family got deer hit by the county snow plows. His folks didn't like venison, so we got the road kill,  thought it was luxury.   Old Milwaukee was .99 for a 6 pack about 1962.  It was greenish yellow but affordable. That and a big deer roast with potatoes, onions, carrots  on Sunday afternoon for half time of the Packer game with our GF's and no Spam.

Spin
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

If you don’t have some your missing out, I like the bacon 🥓 breakfast of Champions. Fry it up and it taste great. 

AD58738F-CF8B-4143-935C-DB14CFB4DA28.jpeg

I've never had the Turkey or the Bacon flavors but I'm sure going to now.

Bird_Man_mike
2 hours ago, OceanRoamer said:

Just ate some tonight in a dish called musubi. Spam, Vienna Sausages, and MREs using find their way in my pack during hunting trips.

F7B5AED5-A919-486E-8724-957AF3A187E6.jpeg

You need to make a spicy terikayi/sesame glaze for that.

dukxdog

I love it fried with eggs. Eat it every so often.

idcut

A staple on hunting trips in AK was spam and pilot bread. We'd eat it sliced and cold with the pilot bread, kind of like a fine cheese with a good cracker!