REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
spinfly

NHL- Back at it

spinfly

The NHL starts up again today, but who knows for how long? Does  anyone remembers what hockey was (or care) ?  It has been an eternity it seems since players took to the ice. I imagine it will take a little time for teams to find their groove.  Any predictions who will win the Cup if they even make it that far.  I see a final of the Bruins- Avalanche, and would like to see the Av's come out on top.

Millriver

Go Bruins! Looking forward to seeing some of the games, though tend to watch less television in the summer.

Watching hockey when it’s 90 degrees outside will be strange, usually when a hockey game is on I’ve got a blanket on my lap with a Cocker lying at my feet keeping them warm!

kgb

Very odd that they're doing this, but I'll watch the Pens until they're out or the whole program grinds to a halt.  Hockey in August, though, it's really not the season turn turn turn.

Marc

I might watch a few games, but have lost interest. I am more concerned about how and when we get back to beer league hockey. There is so much close quarter exposure from the dressing room, player's bench, and the on ice play that I can't see how it can done safely.  Us amateurs don't have the support system to create a bubble like the pros. 

dogrunner

Watching the Blackhawks dominate the Oilers, boring crowd. 

Ben Hong

Ho Hum! There's hockey? This is Phiily Phlyers' year . You hear here first. (I just heard the crack of lightning!)

jeff88

Watched both the Pens games thus far - am really enjoying that hockey is back.  So far the NHL seems to be leading the other pro sports with keeping Covid at bay.  Not sure I love the playoff format, my take is that they should have run it normally with he teams that made it in.  BTW, it's always August living in HOU so the weather doesn't make me think it's weird.  Glad they are in Canada for this, hope the ice stays crisp.

The Habs are looking good, this is a young, hustling team that is giving the Pens all they can handle.  Thank goodness for Sid, he's playing like there was no break.  No one should be surprised he came back to the season comparatively the fittest of players.    What is not fit, nor fixed, is the PGH power play.  They were middling in the regular season to below average in this series.  The Habs are shutting down a PP that features Malkin and Crosby with a strong supporting cast.  If they don't start clicking it will be a short run.

My prediction:  Pens find their PP groove tomorrow night.  Avs versus Pens.  MacKinnon/Crosby fest, Pens win in game 6 as an away team.  Sid is MVP.  Please consider this a Public Service Announcement so all y'all rooting for other teams don't have to watch any more.  

kgb

The break did allow Jake Guentzel to recover from shoulder surgery, he scored a nice one last night and Jake Shakes should be flying off the shelves (or at least over the counter) again.  Hockey highlights may return to the Omaha paper again as he's a native who came back to play for UNO and they love them some alumni around here!

sneem

I have been watching several of the games. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of play. I figured it would be sloppy with the lay off and the schedule, but most teams have looked quite sharp. Not good at predictions, but I’ll make two. The Bruins are done early. They look like crap and Rask is out.

Second. Much as it pains me to say it, the Flyers have a real shot. They are playing well and Hart in goal could do for them what Binnington did for the Blues last year.

fishvik
On 8/1/2020 at 7:34 AM, Millriver said:

Go Bruins! Looking forward to seeing some of the games, though tend to watch less television in the summer.

Watching hockey when it’s 90 degrees outside will be strange, usually when a hockey game is on I’ve got a blanket on my lap with a Cocker lying at my feet keeping them warm!

This seems like the good old days of taking my son to summer hockey camps.

fishvik
On 8/1/2020 at 3:27 PM, dogrunner said:

Watching the Blackhawks dominate the Oilers, boring crowd. 

Things were a little different last night. My wife was not in a good mood. My Wild are doing okay but the Rangers are tanking.

Ben Hong

For shits and giggles I turned on the NHL game between the Pens and Habs. It was a good game that the Habs won.They need 1 more win to kick Sid to the curb. Whodathunk it?

dogrunner

I would enjoy the kick to the curb for that dude. 

kgb

In the second game one of the announcers mentioned how high a level they seemed to be playing after such a long break.  Habs certainly fitting that description.

jeff88

Habs have been 1st to arrive to the puck more often than the Pens especially last night.  While we have seen this movie before, the Pens needing two wins to clinch a series and coming through, it doesn't feel that way right now.  Guess it never does.  Instead of writing "Go Pens", am thinking "WAKE UP PENS!"