REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
idcut

Huckleberries

idcut

It's that time of the year again for the topic of huckleberries! I went out earlier in the week to a favorite spot here in N ID, with my wife and the area I pick was loaded with berries. We picked about 2.5 gallons. My brother wanted to go out, so he and I went out yesterday, same place, and between us we picked about 3 gallons. I'm not the fastest picker but due to the size and the number of berries, we were able to get a fair amount. I attribute the good berry year on a very wet and decently warm spring.

No bears were spotted, but I'm sure they're out gorging themselves on berries. 

IMG_0692 (3).JPG

GSPpurist

I picked out a bunch also in eastern Panhandle.  Amazing Summer!!

Ben Hong

Amazing summer indeed! In normal summers we hardly ever see wild raspberries in any great profusion along the kilometer  loop around my house. This year is the first year  in the 23  since we have been here that I can pick enough for about 6 jars of jam and a couple of pies, besides what I ate whilst picking! They are still producing!

The first blackberries are starting to ripen, and those too will be in amounts never before seen, judging by the green unripened berries on the vine.

Our shore is very rocky and the blueberries that grow among them are usually plump and plentiful. Not this year??!!

I may have to jack up my daily dose of insulin for a while!

Don Steese
3 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

I may have to jack up my daily dose of insulin for a while!

Just put in an IV with one of those roll around caddy thingies people use to shuffle around the hospital. 😋

SelbyLowndes

We get our blueberries and mayhaws in May, our blackberries in June and our huckleberries in July.  Huckleberries are my favorite for pie.  Our southern variety grapes are on the vine and will be ready to pick this month...SelbyLownds

Scrappy

Yep! My son and i were up fly fishing Kelly creek for several days last week. Found a couple patches of huckleberries and they were loaded. We brought home a couple gallons which my wife has already turned into jam. I am always amazed at the size of the berries in North Idaho. Nothing better than vanilla ice cream covered in huckleberry jam!

mccuha

Never had huckleberry until I went fly fishing in Wyoming a couple years ago.  While we were there we picked 3-4 gallons. We put it all up into jelly and jam. It’s really good. 

CptSydor

Haven't been proper picking yet, there were just getting good when I left for a trip. But I have been eating. Actually this morning on the dog walk I ate wild raspberries (red and purple), blueberries, huckleberries, strawberries and thimbleberries. Even had a couple Saskatoon berries but they pale in comparison to the others. 

Ben Hong
9 minutes ago, CptSydor said:

Haven't been proper picking yet, there were just getting good when I left for a trip. But I have been eating. Actually this morning on the dog walk I ate wild raspberries (red and purple), blueberries, huckleberries, strawberries and thimbleberries. Even had a couple Saskatoon berries but they pale in comparison to the others. 

OK, I give up...what are thimblenerries?

1971snipe
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

We get our blueberries and mayhaws in May, our blackberries in June and our huckleberries in July.  Huckleberries are my favorite for pie.  Our southern variety grapes are on the vine and will be ready to pick this month...SelbyLownds

If you wait til May to pick mayhaws here, you're too late.  Blueberries and blackberries too.  I've been picking Muscadine a for a couple weeks here now, and they are still ripening.  

It's on my bucket list to have a piece of huckleberry pie.  

WyomingArt

For Ben H:  Thimbleberries  are pretty similar to a raspberry but smaller, rounder.  Used to find them in full sun in openings in the woods. Pretty much found all over the  western third of the continent I think, don't know how far south.  They need moisture.

CptSydor
9 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

OK, I give up...what are thimblenerries?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus_parviflorus

Very delicate. Doubt you could pick and transport them without making a mush. They also dry out very easily, so they can feel like dust in your mouth. But if you manage to get some protected from the sun a little and juicy, they are very tasty. I think they taste like a raspberry and strawberry cross. 

idcut

Jam, syrup, pie, muffins about anything with huckleberries are great and let's not forget the homemade huckleberry ice cream, which I'll be making tomorrow, but vanilla ice cream with huckleberry jam can't be beat!

The thimbleberry kind of reminds me of a red raspberry in shape but is a more dull red, and the berry is more shallow on the nub it grows on. The plant has very large, kind of a more pale green leaves and to my taste it has a very unique flavor, which I've always liked. The berries don't seem to last very long once they ripen. I'm not sure how widespread they are, probably found throughout the NW, but beyond that I don't know.

Marc Ret

Thought for sure somebody would have quoted Doc by now. 

image.jpeg

mccuha
2 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

Thought for sure somebody would have quoted Doc by now. 

image.jpeg

I think of that every time I hear the word huckleberry