REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
idcut

Huckleberries

mccuha

The next berries around here , well in the mountains are blueberries and some blackberries.  I’m probably heading up to the smoky mountain parkway next weekend to see if any are ready to start picking.  

GSPpurist
7 hours ago, Scrappy said:

Yep! My son and i were up fly fishing Kelly creek for several days last week. Found a couple patches of huckleberries and they were loaded. We brought home a couple gallons which my wife has already turned into jam. I am always amazed at the size of the berries in North Idaho. Nothing better than vanilla ice cream covered in huckleberry jam!

That was near where I was.  I passed by and went over to Cayuse creek. 

The mountains were covered up in huckleberries. 

Ben Hong

I love the UJ! Where else would you find a hunting and dog site hosting great deep discussions on berries.!!!

idcut

I've been thinking about making a run up that area myself....not for the huckleberries but the fly fishing, however if the berries are readily available, spending an hour or so harvesting a few more wouldn't hurt. Camp a couple of days, catch a few cutts,  cook up some huckleberry pancakes.....ummmmm!

Many people running around over in that area Scrappy/GSPpurist?

Scrappy
10 hours ago, GSPpurist said:

That was near where I was.  I passed by and went over to Cayuse creek. 

The mountains were covered up in huckleberries. 

Did you drive to the top of cayuse? We hiked up to the mouth cayuse from the the bottom one day. 

Scrappy
57 minutes ago, idcut said:

Many people running around over in that area Scrappy/GSPpurist?

Tons of people camping, but not too many fishing (comparatively speaking). If you are able to go during the weekdays it's much better. Either way, you can still find plenty of places to fish alone.

GSPpurist

No.  I was there last weekend.  My first trip.  I reached where the Orogrande meets the North Fork of the Clearwater.  It was packed like sardines with ATVs, MH, TT and trucks.  Campfires with 20+ chairs around.  Every campsite up to Moose Creek/KC parking area was packed.   probably 30-40 vehicles.  I was frustrated at how busy there area was.    No parking spots anywhere.  Went over to Cayuse creek which had only one other truck/campsite.  Amazing what 9 miles of unmaintained road will do.  The fishing was not good along the main stretch but if you go one mile in either direction of the Bridge at then we did well.  Lots of strikes on dry fly.  

GSPpurist
41 minutes ago, Scrappy said:

Did you drive to the top of cayuse? We hiked up to the mouth cayuse from the the bottom one day. 

We drove to the airfield and camped.  

mister grouse
2 hours ago, GSPpurist said:

We drove to the airfield and camped.  

Im not seeing my favorite GSP Buster  in any pictures?  Did Olivia catch some fish?

Somehow your three pictures must be viewed by following the arrows on the first pic.

GSPpurist
2 hours ago, mister grouse said:

Im not seeing my favorite GSP Buster  in any pictures?  Did Olivia catch some fish?

Somehow your three pictures must be viewed by following the arrows on the first pic.

Olivia did not fish much.  She wanted to swim in the creek most of the time.  It was pretty hot, about 90 degrees.  Didn't bring Buster.  Was a nice, relaxing weekend.  

Big Pine
On 8/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, Scrappy said:

Yep! My son and i were up fly fishing Kelly creek for several days last week. Found a couple patches of huckleberries and they were loaded. We brought home a couple gallons which my wife has already turned into jam. I am always amazed at the size of the berries in North Idaho. Nothing better than vanilla ice cream covered in huckleberry jam!

Gawd, I sure miss that neck of the woods. The huckleberries, those long slow drives on crappy roads, and especially those cutthroats.

I picked a bunch of blueberries this weekend, but I’d kill for a couple gallons of huckleberries.

Scrappy
36 minutes ago, Big Pine said:

Gawd, I sure miss that neck of the woods. The huckleberries, those long slow drives on crappy roads, and especially those cutthroats.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I lived for three years in North Idaho, Fortunately, I'm now living in southern Idaho and can get up there on a regular basis. I envy Idcut, I think he lives right on the St. Joe.

idcut

Actually Scappy, I grew up in St Maries and now live in Post Falls. However, we have a number of acres in SM that we manage for timber and now that i'm retired, I'm down there about every week, helping out my mom or going fishing or whatever. I was up the Joe a couple weeks ago with a good friend, Red Ives specifically, and I'll probably be back up there shortly. I sure hope it isn't as crowded as it was a few weeks back.

GSPpurist

One of the guys I work with floated the Joe last week.  Almost hit a guy in the head  his oar.   He was having trouble keeping away from tubers. 

Rogue Hunter

Looking at that first picture, what's the tent on the table, for sleeping, or...?