REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
idcut

Huckleberries

idcut

The Joe has been discovered and gotten popular! I think it was 1961 or 62 when they started paving sections of the road. Prior to that it was gravel from about a mile from Hwy 3 all the way up to Red Ives and it was a rough, dusty drive up! One couldn't drive to Red Ives in a couple of hours from SM, it was about a 3.5 hour drive or longer, if you got a flat tire! The Milwaukee R/R was still running so there wasn't a couple of options on which section of the road to drive. About the only people recreating on the river were locals camping and fishing and really not that many, except perhaps around the 4th of July weekend. I get a chuckle when I see bumper stickers that say "Hell yes my truck's dirty, I drive the Joe," when I'm certain they didn't drive the river road prior to it being paved!

Although it's been discovered and is now more crowded, the fishing has gotten better than it was and the cutts on average are bigger since they put in place the catch and release and barbless hook rules in the upper stretches of the river. I spent a couple of summers working for the USFS out of HS school, at Red Ives when the Ranger Station was still operational in the early 70's and fished as often as I could, I'd say the fishing is better now.

GSPpurist
On 8/3/2020 at 3:04 AM, Rogue Hunter said:

Looking at that first picture, what's the tent on the table, for sleeping, or...?

That is the front of our trailer.  We bought a Conqueror UEV-490 for our offroading hunting/fishing/camping trips.   

Conqueror Trailer

Rogue Hunter
8 hours ago, GSPpurist said:

That is the front of our trailer.  We bought a Conqueror UEV-490 for our offroading hunting/fishing/camping trips.   

Conqueror Trailer

Yup, as they say...the rest of the picture.

Remo
10 hours ago, GSPpurist said:

Conqueror Trailer

Their web page shows one cool looking trailer.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=Conqueror+Trailer&rlz=1C1AVFC_enUS901US901&oq=Conqueror+Trailer&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Uplander

You guys are lucky; in my haunts this summer has been epically dry, and berry crops are anemic at best.

Rogue Hunter

Could be my aging taste buds, but when I tried Huckleberry ice cream it tasted pretty much like blueberries.