REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

what is this?

Scar

Was wandering the backroads of Beaver County today and stumbled across this old thing....

I think it is a water well rig from the 20's or 30's.  Anybody have any wisdom?

rig1.jpg

Rig2.jpg

Rig3.jpg

strato-caster

Looks like a typical rental return at Avis...

Tilkut

Helicopter prototype?

SxSetter

Horse driven ice auger

Scar
3 minutes ago, SxSetter said:

Horse driven ice auger

You, sir, have NEVER been to Beaver County, OK!

Spiller

Wow, that is really cool...I wonder what it is too....

Scar

After looking at some images online I'm convinced that this is a horse pulled (but tractor driven) drilling rig either for water (most likely) or perhaps oil.  It sits all alone on the side of a hill surrounded by miles of open prairie.  The nearest populated town is about 20 miles east.  The nearest populated homestead is 3 miles south.  How and why it would be sitting in that spot for all those years is puzzling and fascinating.  

idcut

It would be cool to know the story behind it. It is a interesting looking piece of equipment!

MAArcher

Whatever it is, its cool!   I love hearing about lost relics.

Larry Brown

Be careful with that relic stuff.  I'm going to be celebrating a birthday shortly.  But come to think of it, if I get lost while out hunting, I do hope somebody finds this particular lost relic. :)

WyomingArt

Possibly, and just a SWAG. A rig to install windmill pumps and drill pipe. Pipe had to be straight and plumb with the top of the tower.  Other than that guess , no clue. 

I forwarded your photo to a couple old guys who grew up on ranches with horse powered implements. They might know. 

Somewhere in Oklahoma is an old timer who knows about this outfit.

Thanks for posting. I sure like seeing  this old gear, hope someone takes it home and restores it. 

vabirddog
35 minutes ago, Scar said:

After looking at some images online I'm convinced that this is a horse pulled (but tractor driven) drilling rig either for water (most likely) or perhaps oil.  It sits all alone on the side of a hill surrounded by miles of open prairie.  The nearest populated town is about 20 miles east.  The nearest populated homestead is 3 miles south.  How and why it would be sitting in that spot for all those years is puzzling and fascinating.  

I agree that galvanized pipe/ casing suggests water. Shaft driven in front gearbox, long screw drive underneath?  If tractor driven was tractor pulled though. Steam tractor/engine perhaps. Probably abandoned on the somethousanth dry hole of the dust bowl. They had Dempster horse drill but I dont see this as one. 

Zoli 16ga.

Send a photo to the local museum?

WyomingArt

vabirddog: You just might be right on. And steam tractor sure is possible. I recall PTO might have been available about 1920's on gas tractors. Our tractor was old, but not that old. 

Wow, and did that trigger a recollection when you mentioned Dempster Horse Drill.   My family used a horse drill about 1955 to put in a well on the family farm. The horse walked in a circle underneath a wood derrick to drive the drill.  Not a Dempster but similar. My job was to stay out of the way and care for the horse and horse manure.

Thanks for the heads up.

idcut

As I was looking at the photo, I was wondering if perhaps it could have been driven by a PTO from a tractor of some kind!