REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
boon hogganbeck

advice on woodcock???

doodlecrazy
2 hours ago, finsfurfeathers said:

Once you believe woodcock can run all them false points start to make sense. 

Spot on!

Jazz4Brazo

Oh ya...they run out from under points alright...and so do grouse...I am sure we've all experienced it and some times we even see booking it out of dodge...revenge birds I say😡🤠

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, finsfurfeathers said:

Once you believe woodcock can run all them false points start to make sense. 

That's a factor, and woodcock can run like crazy sometimes, but so do grouse, and I've found false points far more prevalent hunting woodcock than grouse, and the dog less likely to relocate from the false point to a productive.  Lots of scent and a different scent profile than grouse partly because woodcock are often more concentrated than ruffs.  Like you said about the video, it takes a young dog a while to sort it all out.  I've seen more than one young dog pointing splash.

OHhamster

Something else to remember with a relocated our downed bird. Woodcock wingwash when they take flight. It can take a little bit of time (15-20 mins) for the scent to build back up and can be hard to find them Again right away.

finsfurfeathers
3 hours ago, OHhamster said:

Something else to remember with a relocated our downed bird. Woodcock wingwash when they take flight. It can take a little bit of time (15-20 mins) for the scent to build back up and can be hard to find them Again right away.

wish the dame could respond to this comment. Have seen her quickly locate a downed bird generally however as she closed in have trouble pin pointing the bird always suspected they throw off too much scent leaving her lost in the fog. As for reflushed birds one spot I hunt the primary tactic is to go through flushing pointed birds as there is no hope in hitting them. They usually land on the other side of the property marking for better shooting opportunity.  One thing I can say is reflushed birds tend to be way more jumpy so a hard running dog will bump 'em.

kgb
On 8/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, Mike Connally said:

That’s resting cover for migrating woodcock. When they drop in after flying all night they just want a thick hiding place. 

PM sent. 

It was in a Gene Hill story, I think, where I read of encountering migrating birds and knowing them as such because they would not fly very far when flushed.  Reason being they are tired from the effort, how does one tell the difference between those and maybe local birds that haven't been pressured yet?

boon hogganbeck
11 hours ago, OHhamster said:

Interesting.  How the dog's nose functions in relation to different birds is something I still don't understand... 

Don Steese
On 8/4/2020 at 7:40 AM, Hammergun said:

Perhaps someone there can take you out to share the experience to start. I would if you were over here in the Midwest. It’s too short of a life to not share the things that we love with others. 

That's my philosophy. Funny thing is, it always seems to come back to you.

Reeba
On 8/4/2020 at 8:10 AM, Cooter Brown said:

The best covers will not be too far from the open fields and meadow areas they use at night.   

I've always been confused regarding their need for open areas.  Some areas that I hunt have plenty of the preferred open abandoned fields nearby, but other areas are large tracts of forest with limited open fields, but areas of clearcuts, logging roads and wetland openings and plenty of woodcock.  So do the woodcock in the continuous forested areas use those available open areas?

finsfurfeathers
2 hours ago, Reeba said:

I've always been confused regarding their need for open areas.  Some areas that I hunt have plenty of the preferred open abandoned fields nearby, but other areas are large tracts of forest with limited open fields, but areas of clearcuts, logging roads and wetland openings and plenty of woodcock.  So do the woodcock in the continuous forested areas use those available open areas?

I find woodcock are masters of using edge cover. Imagine if you put your hand flat on the table and spread your fingers and thumb. invision your palm to be old growth forest  and the space between your phalanges to be open ground. You'll most like find woodcock at the tips of your fingers and thumbs.

Cooter Brown
40 minutes ago, Reeba said:

That's a great question.  I guess those open areas suffice.  Most of my experience hunting woodcock is in the southeast where open areas and fields are pretty common.  When I'm up north I don't target woodcock at all.   Woodcock along with wild duck are probably my favorite meats but I kill enough woodcock down home.  And I feel affection for the little gentleman, especially seeing over the last couple of years how hard they have to work when they migrate, and how much habitat they're losing on the migrations paths.

Brad Eden

Up here, Woodcock seem to prefer a piece of ground in fall that can be measured in feet, and replace themselves if shot or have moved on. Back when I guided Upland part-time, if the hunter was one short of a limit in Woodcock at The end of hunt.... More than once I told him I knew where that last Woodcock was. We went to a particular spot and there was one there. It was consistent enough to be uncanny. Ive been fortunate to encounter a few bonafide flights. Not a scattering or a sprinkle but a literal flock of Woodcock that were overnighting all together. Mostly this was in openish areas with a blanket of leaves and spread out wrist thick or thinner Aspen. You have to experience a ‘bird under every leaf’ with a flushing Spaniel to truly “appreciate” that. 

kgb
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

You have to experience a ‘bird under every leaf’ with a flushing Spaniel to truly “appreciate” that. 

Sounds like that might have you turning the dog over looking for an "off switch"!  

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Ive been fortunate to encounter a few bonafide flights. Not a scattering or a sprinkle but a literal flock of Woodcock that were overnighting all together. Mostly this was in openish areas with a blanket of leaves and spread out wrist thick or thinner Aspen. You have to experience a ‘bird under every leaf’ with a flushing Spaniel to truly “appreciate” that. 

That's gotta be a hell of a fun thing to witness.  One day I've gotta hunt with a flusherizer.

KenB

Midmorning today in western Wisconsin I was walking the setters and we moved three different woodcock, two of them twice.  Normally we don’t move any in that spot.  When the birds flushed they dropped down again within 50’, they seemed tired.   They were in a narrow strip of land about 100’ wide between a pond and a farm road that ran parallel to the pond.  Took forever to clean up the dogs when I got home.  Several kinds of plant stickers are now in season and both the dogs and I got covered.  

Are the woodcock on the move already?