REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
topdog1961

Cell phone service?

bmeador

Tina and I have US Cellular. We have some service in ME, OK, AZ, UT and perfect service here on the East coast. We may have to drive 3 or 4 miles but we can check mail and make calls.  

bigjohnsd
5 hours ago, 406dn said:

I wish there was a decent signal where my brother and I elk hunt. There if I want to make a call,, it's either drive about six miles or ride my horse up on a ridge above the camp site.

Precisely the reason I go hunting! To get away from the phone and the data.

gwponr

Ive always had verizon and with all my traveling I found they had the best service coverage all round. Now that I moved to Potrero I get no verizon service until I hike 20 minutes up the hill. So I got a phone with sprint as they get service at the house, when Im back in town I think they suck. Not to mention the endless text messages with affiliate offers, I have warned them a couple times about all the texts to no avail as soon as I put up a booster antenna for my verizon numbers I will drop sprint like a rock

jeff88
14 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

I was with Verizon for a number of years but dropped them and went to AT&T eight years ago. AT&T's coverage is much better where I use a phone 90% of the time. Upstate PA's a different story though. I use a friend's cabin in NC PA throughout the year and have no service with my business phone. Picked up a cheap Samsung Galaxy off EBay that uses Verizon's towers and buy a Tracfone card (less than $100 for a year) for service. Best of best worlds. 

Where we stay in NC PA there is no cell coverage for any of the carriers.  For ATT, we are about 5 miles away from 1 bar.

dogrunner

I’ve been a lot of places with Verizon and have decent service everywhere except the Yoop. 

Marc Ret
3 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Where we stay in NC PA there is no cell coverage for any of the carriers.  For ATT, we are about 5 miles away from 1 bar.

My friend's place is around Germania. I lose service at Waterville and have none for the rest of the drive. My buddy used to have a hard line at camp but got rid of it when Verizon put in a tower near camp a few years ago. I can drive in to Galeton and have service but only go if I need something. 

It never concerned me being up there without cell coverage (I rather enjoyed it) until my father died.  My mother is 82 and I wanted her to have a way to get ahold of me in emergencies so I picked up the Tracfone. 

topdog1961
12 hours ago, gwponr said:Not to mention the endless text messages with affiliate offers, I have warned them a couple times about all the texts to no avail as soon as I put up a booster antenna for my verizon numbers I will drop sprint like a rock

I’ve had Sprint for 15 years and don’t have this problem. I checked back 6 weeks and they’ve sent me two text. One announced a policy change and had a link for more info. Then other was promotional, but included the option of replying “end” to opt out. If your texts include this option, and you opt out and still get them, I don’t blame you for dropping them. But the opt out option seems to work for me.