REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
WI Outdoor Nut

Door County, WI Fishing

WI Outdoor Nut

Last week my family and my brother's family took a camping trip to Door Co, Wisconsin sort of on a whim.  We were supposed to be out west, but with Covid going on, that trip fell apart.  So we some last minute prep, pulled together a few campers, tents boats and found a place to camp.  We threw the invite out to others and at one point in time, had 18 of us around the campfire (BIG campfire to maintain distance:)). 

I have fished here in the past a bit and while I would not say we did great, we did okay and for many, they broke their PB's (personal bests).  As always, I take kids with when I can and all did well.  Only one sea sick event, and that was after 3 hours of fishing in some pretty ugly seas. 

My son really like to chase bass, and in the Door Co waters, it is known for some of the best smallie fishing in the US.  Many fish tip the 6# category and there are 8#er's caught every year.  Sad to say, we did not encounter any of those monsters, but we caught 17-20" fish every day.  My niece has never landed a small mouth bass before and she was pretty surprised that a 2# fish could fight so hard. 

I prefer to chase walleye, but to be honest, only spent about 4 hours the whole week looking for them.  I taught my brother and son a new method called shivering, which is using a ice fishing jig called the shiver minnow made by Moonshine lures to bomb fan cast and do violent drop and picks from the bottom and fish crush it.  In a 45 minute period, we landed 8 walleye and lost as many.  I will be honest, my arms were sore.  In the photo, those were all between 19-21", and we threw some back that were too big (personal slot) and a few too small.  Made for great meals the whole week. 

The kids are asking to go back - so hopefully next year. 

2020-7-30 Sam SMB.jpg

2020-7-27 smb.jpg

2020-7-30 austin smb.jpg

2020-7-30 Ella SMB.jpg

2020-7-30 Larsens Reef Shiver.jpg

Okhotnik

There's some great fishing up in that area. Jealous but thanks for sharing. Have to look up "shivering"

aje4

Some nice eyes and smallies!

WI Outdoor Nut

Few of the hiking and lounging photos as well.  Amazed on how much the hammocks were used by the kids just hanging out. 

2020-7-26 hammocks.jpg

2020-7-27 Kids.jpg

2020-7-27 Overlooking Lt Sturgeon.jpg