ANYONE HUNT WITH A .303 BRITISH?

Winchester made a few Model 95s in .303 British for the Canadian market.  It is pretty close to the .300 savage ballistically.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marc Ret

• Snipeaholic

• gaberdeen

• Upland_Hunter

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There were an awful lot of African animals of all shapes and sizes that succumbed to a well placed .303 bullet or three.

I had a nice smle mkiv. That I restocked with a herters  stock as a teen. Think I had $11 in the rifle and $12 in the stock. It turned out pretty nice but I never got the $ to cut and crown the bbl an

Glad to help. Hope your buddy gets that gun in the woods this year. 

Posted Images

When I first started deer hunting now mind you I was a trout fisherman from NJ who also loved to fish the upstate NY trout infested waters.  A friend had a camp in the Catskills and while there in fall one year talk went to deer hunting .A couple of the guy's hunted deer but myself and another never had. I remember taking the course and getting a Winchester 94 - 30-30 and my firend picked up a Enfield 303 . I was with him when he made the purchase. A gun store had a barrel full of them for $ 80.00 a piece. Funny we were laughing and looking for ones with less damage in the barrel.....

My buddy has his grandfather’s and was going to use it for deer in NY this year. Can’t find ammo anywhere for it right now. Any leads?

1 hour ago, gaberdeen said:

My buddy has his grandfather’s and was going to use it for deer in NY this year. Can’t find ammo anywhere for it right now. Any leads?

Winchester- Mack's has a 10.5% off code on their home page

Federal (TargetSports)

Federal (Midway)

12 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

Thanks Mark

Glad to help. Hope your buddy gets that gun in the woods this year. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, lee sykes said:

Winchester made a few Model 95s in .303 British for the Canadian market.  It is pretty close to the .300 savage ballistically.  

Yup, I had one years ago. 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:53 PM, drummer's stump said:

During the days of the Empire some rifles were barrel with a .318 bore to aid in effectively dealing with larger game of the dark continent. The most notable was the Lee Speed sporter, if you ever get a chance to handled one they are truly something special. After I watched the movie Ghost and the Darkness I had to know what rifle Patterson was using, and I can say that moment right cemented my love of sporter rifles, and dangerous game. I will say that mechanically the Mauser was and still is the superior action, but the buttery smoothness of a worked up Speed is something else. 

The .318 was a Westley Richards development, I think. It has a .330 bullet diameter and very similar to the .338-'06 in ballistics. It was widely used in Africa with 250 grain bullets and enjoys an excellent reputation there.

I had a buddy in my youth who hunted with a .303 SMLE rifle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Huntschool said:

I am really thinking about one of these.  Like I need another hole in my head..... right.  This is a cool gun.  I just wonder as always, if I can get the trigger pull down to what I like.

You need a new hole in your head.  Go for it.

Perk

On 8/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, FlyChamps said:

The .303 British is in the same "ballpark" power level as the 30/06, .308, 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser and 7.62x54.  Game up to the size of elk probably wouldn't care with which of these cartridges they were shot - they would be equally dead.  As mentioned earlier in this thread many African (Canadian, Australian, and other) animals were taken with this cartridge.

As a rimmed cartridge it would not be my first choice for any rifle with a box magazine because you must be careful to load with the rim of each upper cartridge in front of the cartridge below or it may jam on loading.  For a break action rifle it is a quite suitable cartridge.

Plenty adequate indeed. With it's very lengthy Service record and the expansion of the British Empire and the vast numbers of surplus rifles it's likely killed more big game animals than

any other smokeless centerfire cartridge on Earth. 

(I'd include the 30/40 Kraig to FlyChamp's list jmo)

• 4 weeks later...

When I was growing up in the '50s those surplus .303 brits were for sale out of barrels at our local pawn shop.  The "jungle carbine" was the favorite. The Brits were preferred over the cheaper Japanese Arizakas due to rumors of boobytrapping in the jap rifles. 

All the guys had one along with the mil-surp ammo.  Our target of choice was the yard long garfish which surfaced in the river off a bluff we'd gather on.  The shot was momentary and the quickest guy got bragging rights...SelbyLowndes