So to start, I have an appointment with the Vet for next week, but my mind can be a terrible place as I perseverate about it.  My 10 year lab started limping 3 days ago.  It is his right rear leg.  When I've run him hard hunting, it was the leg he would be lame with for a few hours later in the day.   However it has always been better after a little rest.  He doesn't appear to be in much if any pain as he is his happy old self including chasing a rabbit on the three good legs.  His eating, drinking and bathroom habits have not changed.  He will let me touch him anywhere on his leg and move it around with no reaction.   When he stands or walks he keeps the foot just a few inches from the ground.  When he sits he throws the leg out to the side a bit, almost like a slouch.  He now has what almost looks like a hot spot where his "knee" would be.  My wife says she has seen him licking at the spot feverishly so I don't know if the spot is from the licking or is causing the licking.  Any ideas what my good boy could be going through?  This is driving me nuts!

Could be a Cruciate injury, Id go easy on exercise if it is a bad cruciate tear there may be bone on bone contact which I think would be very hard on a 10 year old. Unfortunately I have too much experience with that injury. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Vander said:

Could be a Cruciate injury, Id go easy on exercise if it is a bad cruciate tear there may be bone on bone contact which I think would be very hard on a 10 year old. Unfortunately I have too much experience with that injury. 

Thanks.  He isn't exercising at all other than trips outside for the bathroom.

Good move, reach out after they figure it out, I have had experience with surgical repairs. 

Well the nature of the lameness localizes/diagnoses nothing in particular.  So it's good you have an exam scheduled.

Dogwood,  We on the site want to thank you for your regular professional advice on health issues.  We have a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board who share their experience your one of the best!   Thanks again,  George

IMO. 10 is the age when old injuries can come back to haunt a dog. Cash was nicknamed Crash when a young dog. His reckless abandon was legendary. He also has a reoccurring limp in a front leg after hunting hard. I hope you’re boys issue isnt too serious. 

30 minutes ago, studdog said:

Dogwood,  We on the site want to thank you for your regular professional advice on health issues.  We have a lot of very knowledgeable people on this board who share their experience your one of the best!   Thanks again,  George

You're welcome George.  It is a great privilege to share knowledge and help others.

shoot-straight

My lab at 7 had a bad limp. Wound up at an orthopedist- 1000$ later and he said he just had a sprain. 6 weeks of rest and some derramaxx. It sucked missed all October, but he healed up and never had another issue with it. Even sprains take long to heal. Human or dog. Hoping it's just that.