Adventures in Beer—A Review

Cooter Brown

In keeping with the spirit of a recent thread on the wonders of Spam, and especially the postings of the delightful and tempting concoctions in the “Cocktails” thread started by His Honor Judge Scar Hisself, I thought I’d share my impressions of a brew I was recently served by a host who until now seemed always to have the best of intentions, or at the very least didn’t appear to wish to set my face into a permanent look of surprise and confusion.

From the package of Sweetwater Brewery's "420 Strain G13 IPA":

"We took an already dank IPA and married its hops with strain specific terpenes and natural hemp-type flavor.  The result is an aromatic super-hybrid sticky IPA that’s ready to rip.”

Indeed.  Not surprisingly, folks who can create such drivel…I mean interesting ad copy--have created a remarkable ale.

The nose and the flavor are utterly indistinguishable from one another and wonderfully uncomplicated—a horse, after feeding for three days on ramps and asparagus, pisses in a bong, which is used in the house of a third tier fraternity for a week or so to smoke several ounces of low grade marijuana.  There are notes of ethyl alcohol and slightly of stale hops and the odd sensation of being poked in the pupil with something incredibly sharp and of small diameter.

The finish is where this brew really distinguishes itself; it's like a mouthful of very old, very tarnished copper pennies.  It lingers an astonishingly long time on the tongue, having the unctuous quality and some of the flavor of the motor oil and antifreeze mix from a '76 Chevrolet Vega with a cracked block.  This as far as I can tell can only be mitigated with the vigorous use of a stiff brush.

It possesses the desirable quality of flowing downhill, but this does little to redeem its faults; its virtue lies in its cost, which is high enough to discourage an impulse purchase.

Please let us know about any new brews you’ve tried!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snood

• Brad Eden

• Zkight89

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In keeping with the spirit of a recent thread on the wonders of Spam, and especially the postings of the delightful and tempting concoctions in the “Cocktails” thread started by His Honor Judge Scar H

If I have to pay for it - Guiness.   If it's free - almost any beer, but I have run across a few microbrews where the "brewmaster" should be hung for the treason of ruining beer.  The worst

I like German style dunkel beers. Bocks, Oktoberfests, etc. Right now I have some Penn Dark by the Penn Brewing Co. I can’t stand IPAs! I just don’t get these new trendy brewpubs that brew 5 different

Posted Images

DennisMcFeely

My brother is heavy into the micro-brew roulette game and is always providing me with unsolicited feedback.  His enthusiasm knows no bounds.  In the mid-1980s I discovered Guinness draught and haven't looked back.

Just jokin' Cooter.

21 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

In keeping with the spirit of a recent thread on the wonders of Spam, and especially the postings of the delightful and tempting concoctions in the “Cocktails” thread started by His Honor Judge Scar Hisself, I thought I’d share my impressions of a brew I was recently served by a host who until now seemed always to have the best of intentions, or at the very least didn’t appear to wish to set my face into a permanent look of surprise and confusion.

"We took an already dank IPA and married its hops with strain specific terpenes and natural hemp-type flavor.  The result is an aromatic super-hybrid sticky IPA that’s ready to rip.”

Indeed.  Not surprisingly, folks who can create such drivel…I mean interesting ad copy--have created a remarkable ale.

The nose and the flavor are utterly indistinguishable from one another and wonderfully uncomplicated—a horse, after feeding for three days on ramps and asparagus, pisses in a bong, which is used in the house of a third tier fraternity for a week or so to smoke several ounces of low grade marijuana.  There are notes of ethyl alcohol and very slightly of stale hops and the odd sensation of being poked in the pupil with something very sharp and of small diameter.

The finish is where this brew really distinguishes itself; it's like a mouthful of very old, very tarnished copper pennies.  It lingers an astonishingly long time on the tongue, having the unctuous quality and some of the flavor of the motor oil and antifreeze mix from a '76 Chevrolet Vega with a cracked block.  This as far as I can tell can only be mitigated with the vigorous use of a stiff brush.

It possess the desirable quality of flowing downhill, but this does little to redeem its faults; its virtue lies in its cost, which is high enough to discourage an impulse purchase.

Delta serves 2 types of beer on flights, Sweetwater IPA and Miller lite. I generally order a woodford and gingerale. Occasionally on short flights they only serve wine and beer and I will still take it over miller lite. I have not drank one since early Feb and doubt I will any time soon. 

Dave Erickson

Admittedly not that adventurous with beer, and I'm stuck on the cow. It's a WI microbrew. 

Unknown-2.jpeg

1 hour ago, DennisMcFeely said:

My brother is heavy into the micro-brew roulette game and is always providing me with unsolicited feedback.  His enthusiasm knows no bounds.  In the mid-1980s I discovered Guinness draught and haven't looked back.

Just jokin' Cooter.

I don't see the humor?  There's nothing funny about Guinness, its perfect.   If you get tired of perfect, change it up once in a while by going half and half with a Bass Ale.  What more could you need?  I think if more people tried nice fresh Guiness from a clean tap, the micro-brew industry would implode.

DennisMcFeely
20 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

I don't see the humor?  There's nothing funny about Guinness, its perfect.   

I'm just joking about the micro-brew thing, all in good fun just not for me. 

I love Guinness and never get tired of it

I like Dos XX, Corona gets skunky when it gets warm and I will never understand why anyone puts a lime in their beer, if it tastes that bad go to a different brew 

2 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

The nose and the flavor are utterly indistinguishable from one another and wonderfully uncomplicated—a horse, after feeding for three days on ramps and asparagus, pisses in a bong, which is used in the house of a third tier fraternity for a week or so to smoke several ounces of low grade marijuana.  There are notes of ethyl alcohol and slightly of stale hops and the odd sensation of being poked in the pupil with something incredibly sharp and of small diameter.

It possess the desirable quality of flowing downhill, but this does little to redeem its faults; its virtue lies in its cost, which is high enough to discourage an impulse purchase.

The description fits a good aged pipe tobacco as well.  

I intended to attempt growing my own hops this year but ultimately didn't. I like and enjoy various micro brews, typically the hoppier the better, especially when eating steamed/boiled crustaceans.  

I missed a flight once, at SeaTac airport, due to getting carried away with the sampler platters at an airport terminal micro brewery diner.  

Leigenkugels(sp) Summer Shandy when its hot out. Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold when its cooler/cold out. More than likely, I'll just have a bourbon and a little ice.

Virgil Kane

Guiness when I can Spotted Cow when I can't otherwise give me give me a good old MGD served ice cold.

I'm oldschool and really don't care for 99% of what micro brewers concoct. 

Virgil 

Mike Connally
3 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

This has got to be the best review of anything ever written anywhere. 

I take it you didn’t like it...

You had me at IPA...can’t stomach hoppy beer. I’m down to Switchback Ale and Fat Tire Belgium White. Although I do have a six pack of Atlantic Brewery “Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale” in the fridge. I’m not embarrassed about it either.

Stopped in at the local liquor store yesterday to buy a bottle of vodka.

While walking through the isle, saw a 6 pack of Tsingtao.  It was my go to beer at our favorite Asian restaurant.  I remember it as being very tasty.

Took it home and I'll have it with dinner tonight.

Craig Conroy

Living in Wisconsin, I get to see all the various flavors that New Glarus produces.  I'm not a fan of their IPA "Moonman", but it's OK.  The recent "Strawberry-Rhubarb" fruit beer is kinda like drinking a piece of pie, but since I like that kind of pie, one once in a while is OK, too.  I like their "Two Women" lager, and "Totally Naked" is good,; I'm looking forward to "Fat Squirrel" this fall, along with "Staghorn". Everybody likes "Spotted Cow".  And that's not half of it 😉

4 hours ago, Speaks said:

Delta serves 2 types of beer on flights, Sweetwater IPA and Miller lite. I generally order a woodford and gingerale. Occasionally on short flights they only serve wine and beer and I will still take it over miller lite. I have not drank one since early Feb and doubt I will any time soon. 

Nothing wrong with woodford and ginger ale 👍🙂