Adventures in Beer—A Review

If I have to pay for it - Guiness.

If it's free - almost any beer, but I have run across a few microbrews where the "brewmaster" should be hung for the treason of ruining beer.  The worst was one that was "aged" in a barrel that previously aged something else - probably cow manure.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snood

• Brad Eden

• Zkight89

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In keeping with the spirit of a recent thread on the wonders of Spam, and especially the postings of the delightful and tempting concoctions in the “Cocktails” thread started by His Honor Judge Scar H

If I have to pay for it - Guiness.   If it's free - almost any beer, but I have run across a few microbrews where the "brewmaster" should be hung for the treason of ruining beer.  The worst

I like German style dunkel beers. Bocks, Oktoberfests, etc. Right now I have some Penn Dark by the Penn Brewing Co. I can’t stand IPAs! I just don’t get these new trendy brewpubs that brew 5 different

Posted Images

I'm told often that i have no taste, and I can't disagree.

Glad there are so many others here that relish in my bad taste!

God's Own MicroBrew...

guinness.JPG.5771f5b430c1927d81214970f5e24dde.JPG

Sulliesbrew
3 hours ago, GuyO said:

I just don’t get these new trendy brewpubs that brew 5 different hoppy bears and IPAs and maybe 1fruit flavored wheat

You see a lot of these because hops will cover up a lot of brewing mistakes.  You hardly see any pilsners out there because any mistake in your brew process is noticed immediately. You also see mostly ales because they do not need refrigeration to brew.

We did some home brewing for a while and like the light pale ales. We would make batches that shook out to about 4.5 abv and only use 1 kind of hops so you could taste that hops flavor profile without it being some big in your face beer.

I will never turn down a Guinness, but like to try a little of everything.

This is my favorite when it shows up: https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/special-releases/stone-xocoveza

Hayslope got me drinking the" Bells" don't like them all but I found one called ' O Captain my Captain' I need to find another 6er to get a second opinion.

I like stouts, porters, dark ales, high alcohol/high IBU IPA’s (the +7% alcohol really smooths out the hops). However, with that said I feel that too many craft breweries put too much stuff in their stouts and porters such as too much chocolate, I wish they wouldn’t put any in of that stuff. As for lite beer, who wants to drink a mixture of urine, water, and alcohol? YIIICK!!!

Steve

PS as for Guinness, it was delicious when I had it in Ireland, but not so good over here.

salmontogue
29 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

I like stouts, porters, dark ales, high alcohol/high IBU IPA’s (the +7% alcohol really smooths out the hops). However, with that said I feel that too many craft breweries put too much stuff in their stouts and porters such as too much chocolate, I wish they wouldn’t put any in of that stuff. As for lite beer, who wants to drink a mixture of urine, water, and alcohol? YIIICK!!!

Steve

PS as for Guinness, it was delicious when I had it in Ireland, but not so good over here.

The key to great Guinness on tap is to power the draft with nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide which is most common in the USA.  I have a single tower kegerator that I power with nitrogen for all brews including Guinness.  Nitrogen makes all brews taste better and yield a proper creamy small bubble head.

Perk

I Like the hops myself. I don’t need to drink ten, a couple will do. Here’s my current selections.   Most pretty local. 

D2411824-0683-4D73-ABE7-A72AADABB1B0.jpeg

8 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I don't see the humor?  There's nothing funny about Guinness, its perfect.   If you get tired of perfect, change it up once in a while by going half and half with a Bass Ale.  What more could you need?  I think if more people tried nice fresh Guiness from a clean tap, the micro-brew industry would implode.

I'm late to this thread. Archer is dead on. There's Guiness and everything else.

Virgil Kane

Leinenkugal use to be good when is was only locally available but to me the taste changed when they were acquired by Miller Brewing Co. 

Virgil

Life's too short to drink bad beer*

* Bad beer is very personal. 

I can enjoy a quality beer of many styles, but my pallet just can't handle darker beers. I also can't stand the flavour of coffee and relate the two. 

I do enjoy ales, including IPA's and gravitate towards them. As was mentioned, they can cover up bad brewing techniques, but when you find the good ones... 

My beers tonight so far. Some dankness going on. 

IMG_20200807_163705.jpg

God I love beer..... Is there anything better than cold beer. 

My go to fav is Two Roads Liv'heaven. A nice session IPA with just enough flavor to keep it interesting but not to much that you get sick of it. Its my go to. There's always some in cans at home. 

We try alot of different beers at my house. Our house is the neighborhood hang out since we have the pool. Most neighbor come over with a couple new beers to try at least once or twice a week since they know I enjoy new beers.   Tonight we tried Lawson's Super Session IPA and had City Steam Naughty Nurse. 

Although after 6 months of the kids being home and me  being home more because of Covid.... I  probably should take a break from beers. I'm sure my almost 40 year body would appreciate it. 

8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

You had me at IPA...can’t stomach hoppy beer. 

And I was just starting to like you. ☹️

8 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

This has got to be the best review of anything ever written anywhere. 

Urbane humor. Whatever the heck that means?? 

Depends . . .

Out fishing or just after cutting the grass Labatt Blue Kanadian Pilsner in a can in a cozy.

If I'm feeling like a big shot then Pilsner Urquel the original, in a glass.

Winter time a nice oatmeal stout or Guiness or Sam Smith.

Never IPA's.  Those heavy hops taste like bad soapy water and the bitterness stays on my tongue for a day no thank you.  But man my son Peter 30 and daughter Erin 29 love those hoppy beers.  Still all the rage.

My hands down favorite will always be Yuengling.... But can’t get it here in AZ.  On my trips back east to visit family or go on vacation I usually drink my body weight worth of it.  

I’m not big on microbrewery’s, usually it’s all too artsy for my taste.  Give me a good straight up Lager or Pilsner and I’m happy.  South Padre Island Brewery does have a very nice one called Tailing Red tho but they only do it during the fall.  They also have a nice dark beer as well but the name escapes me.  And don’t get me started on their Frijoles Charros,  slap ya momma good.  

Out here in AZ I usually stick to Corona’s and Estrella Jalisco.  With a lime of course.  Like Brad said, refreshing on a hot summer day.  Sometimes I’ll venture out and grab some Four Peaks Golden Lager or Lagunita’s Lil Sumpin Sumpin or Daytime.  The Lagunita’s beers are both “fractional IPAs”, not as hoppy as a standard offering but also pretty damn crisp and refreshing.  

Also like some have said, Guinness.  I found a very nice Irish pub that pours an amazing pint.  Extremely good.