Adventures in Beer—A Review

Cooter, you’re review is dead on!  I agree haha.  I have good news though, Oktoberfest is upon us, my favorite holiday 😀!  In the last two weeks, a bunch of breweries released their Oktoberfest beers early.  I’ve already tried 6.

Schafly

Leinenkugels

Bells

Mothers

4 Hands

Springfield Brewing Company

I’m waiting for the Bierliechen and Ayingers to hit the shelf.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snood

• Brad Eden

• Zkight89

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In keeping with the spirit of a recent thread on the wonders of Spam, and especially the postings of the delightful and tempting concoctions in the “Cocktails” thread started by His Honor Judge Scar H

If I have to pay for it - Guiness.   If it's free - almost any beer, but I have run across a few microbrews where the "brewmaster" should be hung for the treason of ruining beer.  The worst

I like German style dunkel beers. Bocks, Oktoberfests, etc. Right now I have some Penn Dark by the Penn Brewing Co. I can’t stand IPAs! I just don’t get these new trendy brewpubs that brew 5 different

Posted Images

Today I happened to be passing right past Trillium, consistently rated one of the best breweries in the world, and my go to beer.  I picked up two 4 packs.  These two brews are new, so I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

C548A654-D001-4CB0-8584-EC8C26B0A8B7.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Uplander said:

Today I happened to be passing right past Trillium, consistently rated one of the best breweries in the world, and my go to beer.  I picked up two 4 packs.  These two brews are new, so I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

C548A654-D001-4CB0-8584-EC8C26B0A8B7.jpeg

Great Brewery - keep us posted!

1 hour ago, RedL said:

Cooter, you’re review is dead on!  I agree haha.  I have good news though, Oktoberfest is upon us, my favorite holiday 😀!  In the last two weeks, a bunch of breweries released their Oktoberfest beers early.  I’ve already tried 6.

Schafly

Leinenkugels

Bells

Mothers

4 Hands

Springfield Brewing Company

I’m waiting for the Bierliechen and Ayingers to hit the shelf.

My favorite time of the year.  Ruffed grouse and Oktoberfest beers.  Last year I tried over twenty different O’fest beers. Today I stopped by a good beer store.  I was shocked that they already had at least 10 O’fest beers on the shelf.  Agreed that Ayingers is a tasty beer.  Make sure you try Summit Oktoberfest.  It’s my all time favorite beer.  Give me a shout if you can’t find it locally.  Maybe we can do a trade.  

How bitter can you get seems to be the micro brew slogan in general IMO. There are a few I have tried that I like, Nut Brown from Old Pond Brewing out of Skowhegan, Maine a good example. I'll not travel to the ends of the Earth to buy something I like, not even to the ends of the county. For me Bass, out of NH works for me. An English style ale from northern New England. Cooter's review is great. A grand future in the beverage review business awaits.

21 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

The nose and the flavor are utterly indistinguishable from one another and wonderfully uncomplicated—a horse, after feeding for three days on ramps and asparagus, pisses in a bong, which is used in the house of a third tier fraternity for a week or so to smoke several ounces of low grade marijuana.  There are notes of ethyl alcohol and slightly of stale hops and the odd sensation of being poked in the pupil with something incredibly sharp and of small diameter.

The finish is where this brew really distinguishes itself; it's like a mouthful of very old, very tarnished copper pennies.  It lingers an astonishingly long time on the tongue, having the unctuous quality and some of the flavor of the motor oil and antifreeze mix from a '76 Chevrolet Vega with a cracked block.  This as far as I can tell can only be mitigated with the vigorous use of a stiff brush.

Damn Cooter - that's funny!

Like polecat mentioned, I really like Bell's Brewery.  While their IPA is probably their biggest seller, I could drink their Amber Ale every day.

Like many others here, I really do not care for IPAs or DIPAs. It's like chewing on a pine cone!

Good to hear that the brewers are starting to release their Oktoberfest.  Love that brew!!  In many places, I've seen Spaten Oktoberfest on tap year round!  It's a good German Oktoberfest, especially once all the rest have disappeared for the year.

A64EAAB0-D964-4731-8DFC-A348778E2669.jpeg

This is pretty good. Local brewery. I usually get it on draft when eating out. A lot of restaurants around here typically have it on draft. It has a slight bite to it. (Pun unintended, honest) , and no there isn’t any lobster juice in it.

13 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

A64EAAB0-D964-4731-8DFC-A348778E2669.jpeg

This is pretty good. Local brewery. I usually get it on draft when eating out. A lot of restaurants around here typically have it on draft. It has a slight bite to it. (Pun unintended, honest) , and no there isn’t any lobster juice in it.

We'll be up that way in a couple of weeks - going to have to give that one a try. Thanks for the heads up, Brad. I always ask about the favored local brews when I'm out of town, usually they're pretty darn good!

9 minutes ago, snood said:

We'll be up that way in a couple of weeks - going to have to give that one a try. Thanks for the heads up, Brad. I always ask about the favored local brews when I'm out of town, usually they're pretty darn good!

507FE347-71D3-487A-9F4A-66B7CC9918C0.png

Not sure where you will be exactly but if close to My Desert Island/Bar Harbor check out this hidden gem. Atlantic Brewing Company/Mainely Meat BBQ. It’s sorta hidden away in the town of Town Hill. We were there last Wednesday. I like their Blueberry Ale, and we shared a BBQ Sampler plate and a pulled pork sandwich. They are open for indoor and outdoor dining, and they they sell their beer and stuff in a separate building.

Found this--

The 50 beers that shaped America.

Grew up on Pabst...remember my dad bringing Rolling Rock back from his home in Pa.  Coors wasn't available in IN when I started drinking.  Many of these were local. Remember drinking Hudepohl at old Crosley Field in Cincy (needed to be only 18).  Beer tenders would be shouting, "Save the day with a 14 K."

• Budweiser
• Pabst
• Miller
• Schlitz
• Hamm's
• Michelob
• Ballantine
• Iron City
• Schaeffer
• Rheingold
• Blatz
• Falstaff
• Piel's
• Black Label
• Coors
• Lowenbrau
• Knickerbocker
• Grain Belt
• Stroh's
• Olympia
• Rainier
• Genessee Cream Ale
• Lone Star
• Pearl
• Shiner
• Schmidt's
• Rolling Rock
• Yuengling
• Straub
• Old Milwuakee
• Milwaukee's Best
• Heileman's Old Style
• Berghoff
• Leinenkugel
• Point Special
• Narragansett
• Dixie
• National Bohemian
• Meister Brau
• Utica Club
• Billy Beer
• Schmidt
• Stag
• Lucky Lager
• Weideman
• Hofbrau
• Bartel's
• Ortlieb's
• Buckeye
• Olde Frothingslosh

Cooter Brown

In the early 80s I started drinking Bass Ale.  Not sure why, the romance of its history maybe, or reading The Lord of the Rings and the descriptions of good ales in it.  Back then Bass was still brewed in Burton-on-Trent and the bottle was Burgundy style.  At any rate I knew it had a lot more flavor than Carling's and Bud and Miller Lite.  This led inevitably to Guinness Stout as well.

At that time there were two competing pubs in the area--one run by an Irish immigrant and his pretty daughter, the other by an English ex-pat.  The Irish place knew how to pour a Guinness from a tap (in three draws over the back of a spoon) and make a proper Black-n-Tan.  The English pub had Bass and Samuel Smith's on tap.

Of course this was well before the craft brewery craze took off.  I think if you looked hard enough you could find Anchor Steam which was one of the first of the type, but if you wanted ale or beer with real flavor, you bought imported, at least in my part of the country.  Or you brewed it yourself.  The first time I brewed I made an IPA, and it was a revelation.  I'd had lots of different imports and a very few domestic small breweries but until that time I didn't really understand what a fully flavored fresh, unpasteurized beer could taste like.  After that even the imported stuff I'd been drinking started to feel lacking.  I haven't bought an import in years simply because they don't taste fresh.

Fortunately I wasn't the only beer lover who felt this way--home brewing exploded in the 80s-90s, and thank goodness some of those home brewers like Jim Koch of Samuel Adams turned the hobby into a business.  Today the US has a tremendous variety of brews, certainly the most in the world.  And we brew some of the best on the planet.

Beer and ale lovers in the US can thank the unlikely duo of teetotaler Jimmy Carter and California Senator Alan Cranston for the tremendous variety and high quality of the brews we have in the US today.  Cranston, after trying a few times, finally got legislation legalizing home brewing included in a transportation bill, and Carter signed it.  Home brewing, which had been illegal since Prohibition, was finally legalized in 1979, and right around that same time a renegade home brewer called Charlie Papazian started a magazine called "Zymurgy".  Home brewing took off, and Koch and others like him saw the opportunity and grabbed it, and the "Craft Beer" phenomenon was born.

Now you can find high quality, complex and full-flavored fresh beer in a convenience store.  The Samuel Adams stuff is still super consistent, good beer and you can get it anywhere, and there are hundreds of smaller breweries putting out great stuff.  It's really a miracle compared to what it was years ago.

Though I'd agree that some are overdone, my go-to drink after all these years is still a good IPA--right now my favorite is Bell's Two-Hearted, and it's better out of the can, as long as you pour it into a glass.  I hope they keep making it like they are--I used to drink Sweetwater 420 (the regular 420, not the nasty stuff I reviewed) but over the last couple of years the quality and consistency have slipped.  Growth pains, I think, or getting distracted with cutsey-pooh crap like the hemp/horse piss swill.

There are a few reasons for the proliferation of IPAs in the marketplace.  One is that when it's done well it's delicious.  People buy it.  Another is that it requires a lot less capital to set up a brewery for ales than for lagers (refrigeration costs mostly), making it much easier for somebody to get into business making ales.  And of course it's delicious when done well.

Years ago my son and I backpacked around Ireland and Scotland. It didn’t matter where we went or what I ordered the beer I drank there was incredible! It’s probably just as well that the major brands of American beer are so mediocre or excessive beer drinking might have become a problem when I was younger. I’ve always liked darker beers, that includes bock beers and of course porters stouts and ales. San Miguel Dark was an early favorite of mine.

Now I’ll discuss IPAs. Like so many here I wasn’t very fond of IPAs until I made a discovery. While reading a book about beer history and making (My Beer Year by Lucy Burningham) I read a chapter discussing IPAs. It was there that I discovered the relationship between alcohol content and bitterness. When the beers bitterness gets above +70 IBUs (International Bitterness Units) it becomes extremely bitter, unless the alcohol content is increased to +7% or higher. The high alcohol content smooths out the bitterness while retaining the flavor of the hops. It’ll even improve an otherwise poorly brewed IPA. For me the only downside is that being a cheap drunk I can’t drink as much beer as I’d like.

Steve

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

507FE347-71D3-487A-9F4A-66B7CC9918C0.png

Not sure where you will be exactly but if close to My Desert Island/Bar Harbor check out this hidden gem. Atlantic Brewing Company/Mainely Meat BBQ. It’s sorta hidden away in the town of Town Hill. We were there last Wednesday. I like their Blueberry Ale, and we shared a BBQ Sampler plate and a pulled pork sandwich. They are open for indoor and outdoor dining, and they they sell their beer and stuff in a separate building.

Thanks Brad - we do plan to be up that way for at least a day so I'll be sure to check it out. Good BBQ and good beer, it doesn't get much better!

2 hours ago, ccavacini said:

Found this--

Grew up on Pabst...remember my dad bringing Rolling Rock back from his home in Pa.  Coors wasn't available in IN when I started drinking.  Many of these were local. Remember drinking Hudepohl at old Crosley Field in Cincy (needed to be only 18).  Beer tenders would be shouting, "Save the day with a 14 K."

• Budweiser
• Pabst
• Miller
• Schlitz
• Hamm's
• Michelob
• Ballantine
• Iron City
• Schaeffer
• Rheingold
• Blatz
• Falstaff
• Piel's
• Black Label
• Coors
• Lowenbrau
• Knickerbocker
• Grain Belt
• Stroh's
• Olympia
• Rainier
• Genessee Cream Ale
• Lone Star
• Pearl
• Shiner
• Schmidt's
• Rolling Rock
• Yuengling
• Straub
• Old Milwuakee
• Milwaukee's Best
• Heileman's Old Style
• Berghoff
• Leinenkugel
• Point Special
• Narragansett
• Dixie
• National Bohemian
• Meister Brau
• Utica Club
• Billy Beer
• Schmidt
• Stag
• Lucky Lager
• Weideman
• Hofbrau
• Bartel's
• Ortlieb's
• Buckeye
• Olde Frothingslosh

Ah, I see Utica Club in there, the home town brewery. They were the first to produce beer after prohibition, and they're still makin' the stuff. I don't personally like it, but it's very popular in the area.  Also, they produced the infamous "Billy Beer" for good ol Jimmy Carter's brother.

3 hours ago, ccavacini said:

Found this--

• Budweiser
• Pabst
• Miller
• Schlitz
• Hamm's
• Michelob
• Ballantine
• Iron City
• Schaeffer
• Rheingold
• Blatz
• Falstaff
• Piel's
• Black Label
• Coors
• Lowenbrau
• Knickerbocker
• Grain Belt
• Stroh's
• Olympia
• Rainier
• Genessee Cream Ale
• Lone Star
• Pearl
• Shiner
• Schmidt's
• Rolling Rock
• Yuengling
• Straub
• Old Milwuakee
• Milwaukee's Best
• Heileman's Old Style
• Berghoff
• Leinenkugel
• Point Special
• Narragansett
• Dixie
• National Bohemian
• Meister Brau
• Utica Club
• Billy Beer
• Schmidt
• Stag
• Lucky Lager
• Weideman
• Hofbrau
• Bartel's
• Ortlieb's
• Buckeye
• Olde Frothingslosh

I can't comment on most of these, but I wish that Schlitz, Lone Star and Pearl still tasted like they used to, ~ the 60s-70s.  I also wish Erlanger was still available and tasted like it did back in the 90s.