Adventures in Beer—A Review

On 8/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, atticus said:

The only thing I can say about this list is two of the greatest inventions in human history erupted on the scene when I was in college:

the Stroh's 30 pk and the Matt's beer ball. Quality was not as important as the cost/volume ratio in those days...

Oh, and Vermont was 5 miles away from campus and their drinking age was still 18!

Halcyon days...

Glory days indeed! The Matt's Beer Ball was made by the Utica Club Brewery, my home town. Came in a nice box, wax lined so that you could fill the voids with ice, tap it and you had a nice little 5 gallon keg ready to go. We had more than a few parties with that nifty little set up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snood

• Brad Eden

• Zkight89

• Cooter Brown

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In keeping with the spirit of a recent thread on the wonders of Spam, and especially the postings of the delightful and tempting concoctions in the “Cocktails” thread started by His Honor Judge Scar H

If I have to pay for it - Guiness.   If it's free - almost any beer, but I have run across a few microbrews where the "brewmaster" should be hung for the treason of ruining beer.  The worst

I like German style dunkel beers. Bocks, Oktoberfests, etc. Right now I have some Penn Dark by the Penn Brewing Co. I can’t stand IPAs! I just don’t get these new trendy brewpubs that brew 5 different

Posted Images

Funny you should mention the box. I recall my roommate freshman year, hoisting a Matt’s beer ball With a rope up the outside of hoosac hall to a 7th floor window. Just as it got to the window, the box gave way sending the beer to an unfortunate, albeit spectacular end, on the pavement below. 

Shortly thereafter we switched to a hockey players gear bag Right through the front door....and realized it would hold a 1/4 keg.....  More than a few were likely Utica Club. 

Went down to the small Country Store in town to pick up a six pack of Switchback Ale from VT.  Seems it’s become popular in town since they were all out. So I splurged and got a 4 pack of 16oz Threshers Cream Ale. It wasn’t until I got home and took a sip that I checked out where it was brewed. Searsmont ME. This is close by and I drove by the Brewery last week on my way to my tractor place to look at a snow blade. Very nondescript building, and their website is bare bones...but the beer is excellent as well as the design and packaging. Very nice all around. A bit rich for my wallet but I’ll be getting more off and on.

8 hours ago, atticus said:

Funny you should mention the box. I recall my roommate freshman year, hoisting a Matt’s beer ball With a rope up the outside of hoosac hall to a 7th floor window. Just as it got to the window, the box gave way sending the beer to an unfortunate, albeit spectacular end, on the pavement below. 

Shortly thereafter we switched to a hockey players gear bag Right through the front door....and realized it would hold a 1/4 keg.....  More than a few were likely Utica Club. 

Now this truly qualifies as an "adventure in beer"! Fun times