Member Rhode Island

I believe that Dr. Erik Blomberg is still a member on the UJ. Prof Blomberg, with, Canadian input, has completed (?) a comprehensive study of "Scolopax minor" or American woodcock, just in time for the woodcock season soon to come. I don't know if the study has been officially published yet, but here is the article from the CBC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/woodcock-study-results-remarkable-1.5678256

Nice article Ben, thanks for sharing. Miss reading Rhode Islands adventures here, but I am sure Wisconsin is quite proud!

Great article, thanks for sharing. I’ve never shot a banded bird, let alone one with a GPS transmitter. Hoping I never do, that information is just too valuable.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, spinfly said:

Nice article Ben, thanks for sharing. Miss reading Rhode Islands adventures here, but I am sure Wisconsin is quite proud!

Boy, that’s the understatement of the year!

Proud beyond words.

Ken

On 8/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, Lurch said:

agreed - miss seeing Sue in the picturesque wide open vistas....

Sue’s enjoying semi-retirement in Maine. Erik assured me he has a ruffed  grouse/woodcock season or two left in him.

8D9CE318-7A69-441C-8315-4904E5774C46.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wisconsin said:

Sue’s enjoying semi-retirement in Maine. Erik assured me he has a ruffed  grouse/woodcock season or two left in him.

8D9CE318-7A69-441C-8315-4904E5774C46.jpeg

Not many bird dogs, or people, have seen the country and the birds that Sue saw!

• 1 month later...

I sure miss reading his posts as a Doctoral candidate.  We shared some woodcock info also.

From this post I assume Erik is doing well and has his foot well intrenched in woodcock research.  I do wish he was working with the Mississippi Valley migration route. Selfish me.....

21 hours ago, Huntschool said:

I sure miss reading his posts as a Doctoral candidate.  We shared some woodcock info also.

From this post I assume Erik is doing well and has his foot well intrenched in woodcock research.  I do wish he was working with the Mississippi Valley migration route. Selfish me.....

That may begin next spring. Stay tuned, I’ll keep UJ followers informed.

Meanwhile, Erik and Sue opened this year’s Maine 2020 season in style.

Ken

A90D1F39-FDFC-4CDF-98DB-FE8DD5456F85.jpeg

10 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

She is a he, and he’s ten years old now.

I knew that , dumb as I am . I forget a lot lately .

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see Sue is still going. Rhode Island's input and knowledge helped change my mind about coyotes benefits to upland game in that they are also a predator of raccoons and possum that are a much more severe nest predator. 

While he and I probably still disagree on avian predators he always brought a lot of knowledge into discussions and always remained professional. Wisconsin should be very proud. 

Love the picture of Sue and the grandchild. Nothing better than young kids and old dogs. 

I too miss the technical information he would graciously add to this forum.  I do hope he is enjoying his stay here in Maine.

On 10/22/2020 at 5:32 AM, NW River Mac said:

I too miss the technical information he would graciously add to this forum.  I do hope he is enjoying his stay here in Maine.

I think he is!

9E2CC9E8-082C-454E-9D3E-E99F4CC08E70.jpeg

634F61C0-EDD5-45E9-9059-C64BE1E5061D.jpeg