It's Here - GARMIN ALPHA 200i, well sorta

Kansas Bound

Garmin has the Alpha 200i on their Great Britain website.  The big improvement seems to be their InReach system is now compatible.  

The website seems clitchy but a picture is at the bottom of the page.  It appears the collars are the same but I feel InReach compatible collars are in the future. 

GARMIN ECOSYSTEM

Disappointing to see the same three training buttons.  I like the alpha for hunting and for containment at my house, but the lack of switches and toggles makes it difficult to use for training - particularly with multiple dogs.

Maybe I'll have to consider adding a pro 550+ controller instead - I just wonder if the collars can be paired to both transmitters at once.

Kansas Bound

More pictures are working.  It would be nice to know what the buttons on the side are for.

I gave the manual a quick once over last night. The buttons on the side are for training up and down and a covered SOS button.  I was getting ready to jump on the 550 plus until this popped up. There is a video overview as well now.

So 699 pounds converts to $911 US rather steep for just a handheld other than the inreach addition to the unit and a different shape what is really different from the 100

jhmiller9892

The Alpha 100 is $100 off on gundogsupply (and Garmin’s site) right now. I suppose they are trying to clear old inventory before making an announcement. I was days away from pulling the trigger until I saw this post, as I really was hoping to have a tracking collar to use this year. But now I am stuck. Good chance I’ll be without one for most of the season if I wait for the 200i but if the 200i has any improvements of note I’ll be bummed that I didn’t wait. 

Kansas Bound

Someone on Facebook said his source at Garmin indicated the Alpha 200 will be a compliment to the Alpha 100.  The Alpha 100 does not seem to be going away.

Will be nice to know what the main differences are. 

jhmiller9892

I've seen that the 200i will be compatible with the Garmin Explore app (w/ Bluetooth capabilities). I do not have an Alpha today, does anyone know if the Alpha 100 has any kind of sync functionality with a mobile app? I could see how this could be a nice feature, rather than having to constantly sync to a desktop. I do not know how Garmin Explore compares to Basecamp so this could be a good idea in theory but not very useful in reality. 

The Garmin UK website now has a decent amount of information up about specs / features / etc. that I don't remember seeing last week when this thread first came up, though I could have just missed it. 

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and ordered one. Most of my hunting is solo in areas with no cell coverage. Having the inreach built in is a little extra piece of mind. More buttons for more dogs is a win. Plus the timing worked out. 

Kansas Bound

Got my Alpha 200 today.  Thing is sweet so far!  A little bigger than I imagined but the screen is way better!! Great color and very clear.

The customizable buttons I really like. The three buttons on my home screen are Map, Compass and screen lock/unlock.  I hated the lock and unlock on the 100. Now I can push a button to lock and the same button to unlock.  The toggle button on the side scrolls down to show each dog for simulation, tone and vibrate. 

Now I need Bob at Wingworks to make a new case.

It would seem the question for most users of the 100 is why would/should someone spend $1k to "upgrade" to the 200i ??

I have watched a few YouTube videos on the 200i and don't hear the reviewers claiming anything $1k noteworthy in terms of enhancements. Seems like a tough sell for existing 100 users. 

Open to hearing others thoughts.