Disappointed with Garmin

I am so disappointed with garmin.  I have an alpha that is useless.  Just bought a bark limiter deluxe.  Unfortunately my pup was the receiver of some unwarranted stimulation.  She yelped a few times....first time I thought I stepped on her foot.  Second time she pissed herself.  Took the collar off and it was corrected her 10 times and she’s hadn’t barked once.  Strapped the POS to my leg for 20 minutes and got zapped several times. 

the alpha and the bark limiter are both going in the trash can.  

Wow what is the issue with the Alpha before you trash it send it to me and I will see what I can do with it if I get it working right I will send it back.

I know that with the bark collars that can be the only collar on the dogs neck any other collar that has metal on it will cause a short if the metal touches the prongs

4 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Wow what is the issue with the Alpha before you trash it send it to me and I will see what I can do with it if I get it working right I will send it back.

I know that with the bark collars that can be the only collar on the dogs neck any other collar that has metal on it will cause a short if the metal touches the prongs

The receiver has absolutely no clue where the collar is as far as direction.  The distance is fairly accurate but one second the collar is to my right 100 yards and next second it’s 100 yards to my left.  Dealt with customer service two times.  They have no idea if it’s the receiver or the transmitter. 

I’d agree with you on the bark collar. But it activated on my leg with nothing else touching it.   I’ll assure you I wasn’t barking and flexing my leg!   In fact it was dead quiet during the test and no leg movement.  

There are some setting tweaks that can help a lot maybe you could post what your current settings are and we can help you out. 

Might want to try to update both the collar and transmitter. Sometimes that clears up problems.

If you have been in contact with Garmin they probably suggested this or a reset.

15 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

Might want to try to update both the collar and transmitter. Sometimes that clears up problems.

If you have been in contact with Garmin they probably suggested this or a reset.

yes have done both.  It was up to date so they walked me through a reset twice.  

their suggestion was find another collar and see if the problem exists.   If so likely the transmitter.  If problem is resolved likely the collar.  

My alpha has been flawless, wonder what could be wrong, surprised they did not say to send it in.  I have had good results with a bark limiter as well. With the bark limiter you cant leave it on if the dog is running around as it can go off, its a crate only thing. It is triggered by vibration not sound. 

Cooter Brown

Definitely check the handheld with another collar if you can, and the collar with another handheld.

Until you can do that, check the accuracy of the compass on the handheld with a magnetic compass you know is right, observe and make sure the handheld is consistently correct.

Also make sure the handheld isn't on "GO TO" mode, in other words navigating to the dog.  I accidentally set it in that mode once (didn't lock the touch screen) and I thought the things had gone berserk.

I've dealt with Garmin Cust Svc a lot over the years, and have always been very happy, except for one time when I got someone who didn't know a thing and didn't seem to care much.  I just hung up and redialed and got someone else.

So I may have to admit some user error in the alpha.  The running pointer feature was turned on and that was what I was interpreting as the dog position.  Quite honestly I never even noticed the large pointer on the compass which is actually the dog position.  Only reason I noticed was looking at a picture online of multiple dog setup and no running pointing feature.   

so, my bad! 

the bark limiter however absolutely isn’t working correctly and won’t be going back on a dog ever.  

Cooter Brown

Hey, don't feel bad.  I've called Garmin CS with some pretty bone-headed questions.  Luckily the reps waited until they got off the phone with me to start laughing.

The running pointer is cool.  It just showed up one day after I did an update.  I wish they could figure out a way to put one on the Instinct watch.

Good luck with the bark limiter.  Hopefully you can get it straightened out.

So tried the alpha today with my new found understanding of how the unit operates...and it worked flawlessly.  Worked one of the dogs in the field where she was visible for half an hour and it was dead nuts on.  I’m impressed with the accuracy.