Food allergy

Long story short, my almost 3 year old setter seems to have a food allergy. She’s been on Pro Plan Sport 30/20 chicken formula since she was weaned. I had her on grain free for a while bc she’s a picky eater and I was trying to keep some more weight on her. I recently switched back to normal Pro Plan and she’s been doing ok on it. 

To the allergy part of this. I had her annual checkup last month and the vet commented on the slight rust color around her feet. It had been there for a while and a cursory internet search let me know she probably had an allergy. It’s gotten worse since we switched food and I’m thinking about transitioning her to the beef 30/20 formula. 

Has anyone had any luck with that formula? Or more to the point, has anyone had good results with a different formula or an altogether different brand when their dog has had allergies?

Thanks for the input!

Kip

Best to get a complete rundown of the allergy with tests. My setter also has allergy issues. Most are not food related and can occur at times when you might think it is food related. Ti began having issues about the same age, 3, and has gone through many Dr visits.

Seems to be somewhat controlled. Turns out she is allergic to dust mites and some tree pollen. Food allergies, and they do exist, have become a marketing narrative for the pet food industry.

+1.   Grouse 28, my GSP has a very similar story to what you described, right down to the dust mites, tree pollen, and a lot of other plants such as grasses, willows and also algae.  Testing is the only way to find out where the issues are, and without finding out, the dog's itching is just prolonged.

If your dog is not pruritic/itching a lot, pursuing testing, food allergies, etc is not really worthwhile given that her only symptom is paw discoloration.  Yes technically speaking it can suggest allergies but lacking other symptoms not so much.

shoot-straight

I went through the whole allergy shebang. My dog licked his paws raw incessantly.

Here was my experience.  Food trials are very very tough to do. It takes a long time, and any sort of deviation starts you over again. Went to allergist, did the prick testing, he was allergic to pretty much everything. Did the shots, didn't help much. It was a long road with him. Just managed it best we could. 

trying to find that "one thing" that's the issue is a very difficult task. 

My two boneheads and I also have rust colored feet after walking thru the grass in our yard. Been happening for 2 months or so.  Pollen or something.

yes Im serious. Not sarcasm

Has anyone ever found a supplement that helped alleviate the scratching/chewing associated with the allergies? Thank

you 

shoot-straight

i tried the zoom dog "itchy dog" supplement, didnt notice a difference.

not a supplement, but apoquel? it was in limited supply when i needed it, so i never got a chance to try it on my lab. 

I have seen at least one setter that had chronic allergy to green grass. The feet were inflamed and obviously bothering the dog. We did not notice any rust colored discoloration. The owner and his vet were unable to find a medication that was effective in treating this condition.