Alpha alerts

Idaho Chukar Hunter

I have a love hate relationship with my Alpha.  If I try to run it without it being locked, every time the screen gets bumped, it changes.  When I run it locked, it is a pain to go from the dog screen to computer or compass......but, I can live with that, except for one thing.  And I wonder if there is a solution:

When I have the screen locked, it buzzes and makes noise every time the screen is bumped, which is often.  I want to have the point alerts, both vibrate and sound.  But, I don’t want the noise or vibration when the screen is bumped.  Is there a way to set it so that I can have it the way I want, when the screen is locked,  ie, alerts, both vibrate and sound when the dog is on point, but no noise or vibrate when the screen is bumped?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cooter Brown
14 minutes ago, Idaho Chukar Hunter said:

I don’t want the noise or vibration when the screen is bumped.  Is there a way to set it so that I can have it the way I want, when the screen is locked,  ie, alerts, both vibrate and sound when the dog is on point, but no noise or vibrate when the screen is bumped?

That annoys me too.  I poked around and I don't think there's any way to do it without turning off all tones.

I don't know how to solve that problem with the alpha, but I'm loving the simplicity to the 550 Plus. It has an LCD, tells you if your dog is moving or pointing, has an arrow pointing toward them, and the distance in yards. It's pretty much idiot proof. I connect it to the instinct watch and use it like a regular e-collar. No maps, no touch screen, no menus. Just a e-collar with very basic GPS. 

• 1 month later...

I also have the same love hate relationship with my Alpha 100 very frustrating took the plunge on the  550 plus love it so far bad part is not compatible with my tt10 collar and  my Fenix  3 watch so I have to sell the whole bundle

So here is my Alpha story. Getting ready for bird season, about 4 weeks ago I updated my collars, the 550 Plus and the Alpha. After the update my Alpha's screen locked up, tight as a drum. A call to Garmin Technical support brought no solution other then having to buy a refurbished unit. Checked it out, it found my dogs and everything seemed good to go. Last week up in Michigan, calibrated the compass, punched in New Hunt to locate the truck  and off we went. When it came time to get out of the woods hit Track Manager to find the truck and that's when the fun started. My hunting buddy say's his unit showed the truck 180 degrees from my Alpha, this was a constant all week, 90 to 180 degrees out of whack. Tried it again today after being home, same thing. Guess Garmin will be getting a call in the morning. Good thing my buddies unit was working.

On another note, used the Northwinds maps last week and was extremely happy with them.