Arizona is hurting right now

Desert Wings
On 8/25/2020 at 7:13 PM, RobH said:

He was on episode 10 of Hunters Happy Hour.  It’s a “podcast” that’s live-streamed on YouTube.  You can even ask question while it’s live.  I wouldn’t call it a recent episode but it’s the newest thing I’ve heard him on.  

Good stuff, always learn some new things from an Odell interview.  Would have been interesting to hear the nature of the conversation if it was recorded now instead of 3 months ago. 

And I wish Mr. Webster would stop gushing about Arizona.  I am sure the locals like the business, but leave those poor Mearns alone!!

Hopefully they have him on here soon.  A couple of the guys from the show really enjoy AZ Quail and are friends with him so hopefully the do an update show.  Maybe during his time in Yuma for the dove opener since he was really hyping it up to those guys.  

Desert Wings

I am sure it will be different this time around, I'd heard that a lot of the public events and contests were cancelled this year.  

In southern Arizona the monsoons have been disappointing - perhaps half of the amount we would normally expect. The higher elevations have greened up but the growth is lessthan expected. I think that Mearn's quail are going to be scarce in most areas.

We did have good winter and spring rains, which will benefit scaled and Gambel's quail. I expect that in the lower areas where the heat is more intense there may be some mortality from the 110 degree heat. I am betting on desert quail and Couses deer to make my season.

PS: I have met Jonathon O'Dell a couple times here in Sonoita, interesting and knowledgeable guy. I didn't know he was doing a podcast.

• 1 month later...

John Odell is a good guy! He is very knowledgeable and willing to help. Whenever I have questions I will shoot him a text and he answers the best he can. I enjoy listening to him on podcasts as well.