Rattlesnake Vaccine Abscess

Greg Hartman

Sunday night, Nancy was holding Bliss and noticed what she thought might be a lump on Bliss's right hip.  But, Bliss is very muscular and bony, so she figured it might just be that.  Monday morning, we both noticed a big lump on Bliss's right hip, just where she had the rattlesnake vaccine the week before.  So, I texted our vet (a good friend) to ask if this was normal  He said "No.  Bring her in right away."  So, we did.  He kept her and quickly performed surgery to clean out a huge abscess.  She is now home with two drains in the incision and a cone on her head.

The vet told me that this kind of infection at a shot site is very rare - he hasn't seen it for at least ten years.  He sent some of the fluid removed from the abscess out for testing to determine the type of bacteria involved.

2068870174_8-17-20-Blisssboo-boo.thumb.jpg.cd1b4b5d03878514e1780d5d4da0cfd4.jpg

Bliss is the most verbal dog I've ever known, let alone owned, so she lets us know ten thousand times per day how annoying it is that she can't reach her "boo-boo" to lick it.  The drains get removed tomorrow and I will have to remove the stitches myself in two or three weeks on the road - no problem I've done that a number of times, including on myself.  So the good news is that young Miss Bliss will be fine - no permanent damage from something that could have been life-threatening.  The bad news is that she'll be on the IR for the first few weeks of our western hunt and all the work will fall upon Joy. 

I am reminded again how necessary it is for anyone who considers himself a dedicated bird hunter to have at least two dogs.  Last year, Joy was on the IR for a couple of weeks in the middle of our western hunt and we had to rely on Bliss as our only dog power - she was only about 6 months old then, but did a suprisingly good job.  

Bliss will be back at 'em in a few weeks!

9-25-19 - Nancy walking in to flush a Bliss point

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• 406dn

• Don Steese

• Dogwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Brittanys can keep up with Setters. Their problem is mostly an inferiority complex over the lack of a tail and allow Setters to dominate the field. Some Brittanys can be restored to full confiden

Sunday night, Nancy was holding Bliss and noticed what she thought might be a lump on Bliss's right hip.  But, Bliss is very muscular and bony, so she figured it might just be that.  Monday morning, w

I am conflicted as I respond to this with a Setter and a French Brit watching closely.  They read text and lip read in addition to finding birds, dead and alive.   Perk

Posted Images

Hope she heals quickly and completely! I need to get Lefty into the vet before we leave. He's got some lameness in his right front leg and much of the time won't put any weight  on it at all. That, combined with the continuing effects his Valley Fever make him very questionable for the coming season in my opinion. Darn shame for a three year old dog, who if healthy,  would have had a very bright future. I'm now left with a 10 1/2 year old to carry the burden. Might not be hunting every day, but I'll be there nonetheless!

Lefty in healthier, happier days!

317532659_Leftybacking.thumb.jpg.553b4872654c6e748c60daa938061af5.jpg

Irishwhistler

Greg,

Sorry to hear this, but at least things look good for a full recovery.  Give Bliss and Joy a rub and a biscuit for me please. 👍

Best wishes for ye and Nacy to have an otherwise grand hunting trip, God know ye deserve one.

Cheers,

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

My dogs just received there red rock shot about 3 weeks ago. I'll do a closer exam tis afternoon.  Glad the little girl will be ok.  My exact setiments on owning more than one bird dog. I always seems one of the dogs we take has a problem or is just to worn down by the end of a long hard week's hunt.  Usually on the last day's hunt we just drop the tailgate and open the boxes to see who wants to hunt.  I've got a couple that's ready to go even on that last day. One will , if I let her, hunt the whole last day.  I'd hate to know I have my whole entire trip resting on the paws of one single dog.

Glad to hear she will be fine. Two dogs is always a plus. The dreaded conehead is misery for all concerned.lol

Glad to hear she's OK. Hate news like this when you're just getting ready for the seasons to begin!

I've never owned a Brittany but you and Allen could sure make a guy think! Just all around nice bird dogs and they can run with the Setters!!

2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I've never owned a Brittany but you and Allen could sure make a guy think! Just all around nice bird dogs and they can run with the Setters!!

You were doing fine, until saying they can run with setters.

Certainly some Brittanys can hang with some setters, but generally setters have a taller longer frame.

Polo ponies don't race against Thoroughbreds. Horses for courses.  

Hope Bliss is doing better! Our GWP pup got her first snake vaccine shot last week, and the next day she had a severe case of squirts. Vet said it could have been from the vaccine but not sure. When she gets her booster shot we will see what happens. Between hearing that the shots are not effective, and some of these reactions to getting the shot one has to ponder if it’s worth it.

8 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Bliss is the most verbal dog I've ever known, let alone owned, so she lets us know ten thousand times per day how annoying it is that she can't reach her "boo-boo" to lick it.  

😀 A friend had some pretty talkative English Setters, our Gordons always find their voice but we've got our loudest and most talkative one in Gin.  When she was as the trainer's for a month the trainer said she'd never felt so judged by a dog before.  

The idea of multiple dogs to maintain a reserve is a fine one, having to implement it is no fun for owner OR pup on the injured list.  Curious to see what the vet says.

Cooter Brown

Poor little old Bliss!  At least it wasn't a demon seed like the one that got Joy early in her career!

I really want another puppy, and not just for backup--I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed working with a young dog and seeing them develop.

2 hours ago, 406dn said:

You were doing fine, until saying they can run with setters.

Certainly some Brittanys can hang with some setters, but generally setters have a taller longer frame.

Polo ponies don't race against Thoroughbreds. Horses for courses.  

Musta lost my head!! 

Cooter Brown
8 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Hope she heals quickly and completely! I need to get Lefty into the vet before we leave. He's got some lameness in his right front leg and much of the time won't put any weight  on it at all. That, combined with the continuing effects his Valley Fever make him very questionable for the coming season in my opinion. Darn shame for a three year old dog, who if healthy,  would have had a very bright future. I'm now left with a 10 1/2 year old to carry the burden. Might not be hunting every day, but I'll be there nonetheless!

Lefty in healthier, happier days!

317532659_Leftybacking.thumb.jpg.553b4872654c6e748c60daa938061af5.jpg

Hate to hear this about Lefty!  I hope he gets back on track soon.