Rattlesnake Vaccine Abscess

Sorry to hear little Bliss is laid up so close to your big trip West.  Our Brittany, Willow is the most vocal dog EVER, and will carry on a long, chirpy conversation if you keep asking her questions.  How embarrassing for Bliss to have to wear a cone,  hope she's getting lots of sympathy and treats. She's young, fit and healthy, and I'll bet she will bounce back in no time.  Have a great trip.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• 406dn

• Don Steese

• Dogwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Brittanys can keep up with Setters. Their problem is mostly an inferiority complex over the lack of a tail and allow Setters to dominate the field. Some Brittanys can be restored to full confiden

Sunday night, Nancy was holding Bliss and noticed what she thought might be a lump on Bliss's right hip.  But, Bliss is very muscular and bony, so she figured it might just be that.  Monday morning, w

I am conflicted as I respond to this with a Setter and a French Brit watching closely.  They read text and lip read in addition to finding birds, dead and alive.   Perk

Posted Images

bullseyebill

Hope Bliss recovers quickly and completely.

Have a great trip , I’m sure we’ll see lots of updates.

Geesh , that's just awful . Glad she'll be ok . Having two dogs is a must until they both go down .

My story , both GSP's I had went lame in August . I panicked . UJ , Tim and Stump came to the rescue and found my Zack , my first Setter , a Derby . The rest is History .

I hope things get figured out for you and Lefty , Don . 

Greg Hartman
23 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Hope she heals quickly and completely! I need to get Lefty into the vet before we leave. He's got some lameness in his right front leg and much of the time won't put any weight  on it at all. That, combined with the continuing effects his Valley Fever make him very questionable for the coming season in my opinion. Darn shame for a three year old dog, who if healthy,  would have had a very bright future. I'm now left with a 10 1/2 year old to carry the burden. Might not be hunting every day, but I'll be there nonetheless!

Lefty in healthier, happier days!

317532659_Leftybacking.thumb.jpg.553b4872654c6e748c60daa938061af5.jpg

Don:

I had to look up Valley Fever.  Apparently something Lefty caught in AZ?  Really sorry to hear that he's sick - he is one hell of a great, big running dog.

From my reading, it sounds like Valley Fever can be cured if caught early enough.  Paws are crossed here for Lefty's full recovery!  Looking forward to seeing him again soon.

Just got back from the vet.  Bliss's drains were removed and she was switched to a different kind of antibiotic  based on the study of the fluid in the abscess.  Otherwise, she is doing well -  literally bouncing off the walls because we can't even let her out in her 3-4 acre e-fence "yard" to run off a tiny bit of her overwhelming energy.  Hopefully, she'll be able to run again in three weeks or so.  In the meantime, the thought of sharing the limited space of a motorhome with Ms. Loud Lunacy is daunting.  :D

BTW, anyone who think Brits cannot run with setters hasn't seen Allen Davis's dogs.

Some cold water: My research shows that rattlesnake vaccines are likely not effective and of no benefit.  Furthermore sterile abscess reactions like Joy's are common, relatively.  Most will resolve on their own and not require surgery.

My daughter Erin is a small animal vet in Utah.  Tons of snakes and upland dogs.  She basically reiterated my comments.  Her clinic does not recommend it or use it.

Hope that little pip is on the mend, Greg. She's more than welcome to come convalesce with me if she can't make the trip.😉

1 hour ago, Dogwood said:

Some cold water: My research shows that rattlesnake vaccines are likely not effective and of no benefit.  Furthermore sterile abscess reactions like Joy's are common, relatively.  Most will resolve on their own and not require surgery.

My daughter Erin is a small animal vet in Utah.  Tons of snakes and upland dogs.  She basically reiterated my comments.  Her clinic does not recommend it or use it.

That is the conclusion my recently retired vet offered after he had looked into it. I've not vaccinated for snake bites.

I think snake aversion training is about the one and only defense to rattlesnakes. Even then lightning could strike. Just this morning I ran the dogs where there is certainly some number of rattlesnakes. It is a rare day when I either hear one or see one. Over many years of running dogs out here,, I've come close to stepping on a few, before I heard or saw them. I did step on a small one years ago. The snake did not fare as well as I did. I don't worry about them all that much. 

A couple years ago out west I nearly  stepped on two in one day, a day after night time temps of 15 degrees.  They both  rattled at me. The first one I just kept going. The second one was in camp and didn't fare as well.

One of the dogs was going to investigate it when I took matters in hand.  The immobile snake was then used for some impromptu avoidance training. 

I've seen snakes in December. A few years ago I saw one while hunting chukars in about the only place in Montana where there are any. I won't hunt there until I think they have denned.

Anyway it was coiled up, sunning itself on a cool December afternoon. The temperature was -10ish inside of the next 30 hours. I pondered if the snake got to where it needed to get.

Greg Hartman

I run into them now and then - like this blue-eyed prairie rattler:

7th Day - 2008- Prairie Rattler

By avoiding places that are clearly "snaky" and staying away from PD towns with the dogs (a good idea for lots of reasons), they haven't been a major problem. 

9-29-10 - Deaht in the long grass - rifle on fence post

Never had a dog struck.  Nonetheless, I have always opted to get the vaccine because I've heard/read numerous times that it reduces the effect of the venom and allows you more time to get the dog to a vet (vets are few and far between where we go).  Figured rather safe than sorry with beloved dogs.

Reading some of these posts from people I respect, I now wonder if the risk of infection is worth the benefit (if any)?

Kansas Big Dog
21 hours ago, 406dn said:

Polo ponies don't race against Thoroughbreds. Horses for courses. 

Hey, that's not right, Polo ponies? I would say more like a Mongol horse. Tough and have great endurance. 😁