Rattlesnake Vaccine Abscess

4 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Don:

I had to look up Valley Fever.  Apparently something Lefty caught in AZ?  Really sorry to hear that he's sick - he is one hell of a great, big running dog.

From my reading, it sounds like Valley Fever can be cured if caught early enough.  Paws are crossed here for Lefty's full recovery!  Looking forward to seeing him again soon.

Just got back from the vet.  Bliss's drains were removed and she was switched to a different kind of antibiotic  based on the study of the fluid in the abscess.  Otherwise, she is doing well -  literally bouncing off the walls because we can't even let her out in her 3-4 acre e-fence "yard" to run off a tiny bit of her overwhelming energy.  Hopefully, she'll be able to run again in three weeks or so.  In the meantime, the thought of sharing the limited space of a motorhome with Ms. Loud Lunacy is daunting.  :D

BTW, anyone who think Brits cannot run with setters hasn't seen Allen Davis's dogs.

Wow, I would think with the drains removed and her on antibiotics she wouldn't be so restricted even from just running around the backyard. Good luck Greg, I'm sure she'll heal fast.

My DD had an abscessed quill removed and drained from his muzzle, put on antibiotics and the vet said keep it clean and maybe out of the lake for a bit otherwise he's good to go. I said great because I don't have a prayer's chance in hell of being able to do anything more restrictive with him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Hartman

• 406dn

• Don Steese

• Dogwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most Brittanys can keep up with Setters. Their problem is mostly an inferiority complex over the lack of a tail and allow Setters to dominate the field. Some Brittanys can be restored to full confiden

Sunday night, Nancy was holding Bliss and noticed what she thought might be a lump on Bliss's right hip.  But, Bliss is very muscular and bony, so she figured it might just be that.  Monday morning, w

I am conflicted as I respond to this with a Setter and a French Brit watching closely.  They read text and lip read in addition to finding birds, dead and alive.   Perk

Posted Images

Most Brittanys can keep up with Setters. Their problem is mostly an inferiority complex over the lack of a tail and allow Setters to dominate the field. Some Brittanys can be restored to full confidence with the use of a Big Dog Strap on Tail, available on Amazon.

26 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

Most Brittanys can keep up with Setters. Their problem is mostly an inferiority complex over the lack of a tail and allow Setters to dominate the field. Some Brittanys can be restored to full confidence with the use of a Big Dog Strap on Tail, available on Amazon.

I am conflicted as I respond to this with a Setter and a French Brit watching closely.  They read text and lip read in addition to finding birds, dead and alive.

Perk

6 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Some cold water: My research shows that rattlesnake vaccines are likely not effective and of no benefit.  Furthermore sterile abscess reactions like Joy's are common, relatively.  Most will resolve on their own and not require surgery.

My daughter Erin is a small animal vet in Utah.  Tons of snakes and upland dogs.  She basically reiterated my comments.  Her clinic does not recommend it or use it.

The vets I used in south Texas all strongly recommend the Red Rock vaccine, or did during 2018. The vet I normally used said that he had never lost a dog which was current in vaccine.  The vaccine was made to act against diamondbacked rattler venom; which is primarily hemotoxic. Some rattlers have primarily or mostly neurotoxic venom and it doesn't work well in those cases. 

I am unaware of any current research which proves the Red Rock vaccine has little to no effect on a dog bitten by diamond backed rattlers.

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_for_dogs.php 

On 8/19/2020 at 5:51 PM, 406dn said:

You were doing fine, until saying they can run with setters.

Certainly some Brittanys can hang with some setters, but generally setters have a taller longer frame.

Polo ponies don't race against Thoroughbreds. Horses for courses.  

I agree and I have 2 of each, the gait is different on a Brit than it is on a  setter or pointer.  But I still like hunting over all of them.  If I want a slower walk I take a britt,  especially at the end of the day if the cover suits them. 

Greg Hartman
3 hours ago, ryanr said:

Wow, I would think with the drains removed and her on antibiotics she wouldn't be so restricted even from just running around the backyard. Good luck Greg, I'm sure she'll heal fast.

My DD had an abscessed quill removed and drained from his muzzle, put on antibiotics and the vet said keep it clean and maybe out of the lake for a bit otherwise he's good to go. I said great because I don't have a prayer's chance in hell of being able to do anything more restrictive with him.

She has close to a 4” incision over a big muscle.  I suspect the vet doesn’t want to see it torn open while we are on the road.  I don’t either, so I’m ok with a conservative approach.  Bliss isn’t happy about all of this, of course.

Fire Marshal Bill

Just saw this Greg. Mojo sent for Bliss (spot) for a quick recovery. Have a great time out West. Safe travels to you and Nancy. Don't forget to post lots of photos because I'll probably never get to see it for myself. Take care. 

10 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Don:

I had to look up Valley Fever.  Apparently something Lefty caught in AZ?  Really sorry to hear that he's sick - he is one hell of a great, big running dog.

From my reading, it sounds like Valley Fever can be cured if caught early enough.  Paws are crossed here for Lefty's full recovery!  Looking forward to seeing him again soon.

Just got back from the vet.  Bliss's drains were removed and she was switched to a different kind of antibiotic  based on the study of the fluid in the abscess.  Otherwise, she is doing well -  literally bouncing off the walls because we can't even let her out in her 3-4 acre e-fence "yard" to run off a tiny bit of her overwhelming energy.  Hopefully, she'll be able to run again in three weeks or so.  In the meantime, the thought of sharing the limited space of a motorhome with Ms. Loud Lunacy is daunting.  :D

BTW, anyone who think Brits cannot run with setters hasn't seen Allen Davis's dogs.

Yes he got it last summer at the ranch. Actually had it while we were in Montana last fall. The vets there have no clue what it is. Been on meds since November. Since we arrived in PA he's gotten worse. Whenever he gets the slightest bit excited, which is every time any family member gets near him, he sounds like he's gonna cough up a lung. The slightest bit of exertion causes heavy breathing; and now the problem with the leg. Heartbreaking to watch! I'm near tears most every day. What really makes it hard is he's the sweetest dog I've ever been around. 

Glad Bliss is doing well! Those two are among the most animated I've been around; Joy and Bliss are apt monikers for them!! They'll run off that energy tearing up the prairies in just a couple short weeks!  Mabel is going stir crazy too as I haven't been running her this summer like I usually do. 

Had a fella who probably knows setters as well as anyone who said he'd never have believed there were Brits that could run like that till he hunted with Allen! 

There is not much more stressful than being cooped up with a young, VOCAL Britt who has something to gripe, chat, complain, explain, describe.....to you.  It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks in the RV until Bliss gets her butt back to normal, and I can feel your pain (with a big grin on my face).  Please give her a dear kiss on behalf of her northern kin.  Marysburg

17 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Had a fella who probably knows setters as well as anyone who said he'd never have believed there were Brits that could run like that till he hunted with Allen! 

I seem to remember a little setter blood creeping into Allen's Brits. Some accidental Settainies a few years ago. Might have helped make them faster? 😎

17 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

I seem to remember a little setter blood creeping into Allen's Brits. Some accidental Settainies a few years ago. Might have helped make them faster? 😎

My friend tells me that at least one of those dogs was nothing short of spectacular! 

35 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Now that is what is called trolling.

I like every dog pretty much,,, except,,,,,,, you can guess which ones.

IF there were Brits that could really run with pointers and setters,,, there would be some one field trialing them, competing against them. Brits have their place,, they are very good bird dogs. They are not that well suited to tear up a course in front of a horse. I can count on one hand the number I've seen at trials over the last score of years. None of them won anything.

There are many things that a dog needs to succeed in field trials and their gait is right up there. If they can't just efficiently flow over the ground with speed, they will never make it in that game.

That does not diminish their talent for finding and pointing birds. Hunting should not be a competition. It is better if it isn't.

Field trials are a competition. Everything about the dog is scrutinized. An exceptional ground race is more or less mandatory to have any sort of prospect of succeeding.

Greg, the infection was from the injection rather than the vaccine, right? I was considering the RR for my dogs if I ever get west.

2 hours ago, 406dn said:

IF there were Brits that could really run with pointers and setters,,, there would be some one field trialing them, competing against them. Brits have their place,, they are very good bird dogs. They are not that well suited to tear up a course in front of a horse. I can count on one hand the number I've seen at trials over the last score of years. None of them won anything.

Gee, 406 you had to take that fork in the road and put it into print. As mentioned before, Brittanys are already suffering from short tail syndrome as are the rest of the Continentals. They will never heal from those negative feelings if they have to read it in print.😇
Please be more sensitive in future posts.

I like all, (most), bird dogs, except for the 80 lb. slobber mouth setters.

36 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

Gee, 406 you had to take that fork in the road and put it into print. As mentioned before, Brittanys are already suffering from short tail syndrome as are the rest of the Continentals. They will never heal from those negative feelings if they have to read it in print.😇
Please be more sensitive in future posts.

I like all, (most), bird dogs, except for the 80 lb. slobber mouth setters.

I'll try to be more careful. I can agree some setters are easier to like than others. But as just a dog,, nearly every bird dog is a nice dog.

I will add,,, I've seen GSP's, GWPs, and Vizslas that could run with most anything around.