Gus, my 14 week old GSP pup, lost interest in his food a few weeks ago.  I initially thought he was just distracted (and he is easily), so I started feeding him in his kennel so he can't wander off and play.  He really is just uninterested though.  Sometimes he'll finish it in 15 minutes, sometimes it takes a few hours.  I have tried setting it out for a set time and then taking it away, but he won't act any more hungry for the next meal.  If I put a little canned food on top he goes nuts and will gobble it all.  I have been avoiding that though because I don't want to get him used to it.  He was at the vet last week getting his last round of shots and they couldn't see anything wrong with him.  I've never had a dog that wasn't all about meal time.  I am thinking about switching foods.  He's on Purina Pro Plan Savor Puppy.  Any suggestions?  

shoot-straight

my experience- my first lab only ate when he wanted to eat. even as a little puppy. i distinctly remember asking my vet then about it and he said "as long as he is growing good, dont worry". that dog was a picky eater all his life. he certainly didnt show any ill effects he was 85# of solid muscle.  

Ray Gubernat

Red - 

I second the  opinion that as long as he is growing well, filling out and  normally active, I wouldn't be concerned.   The dog was at the vet and got checked out visually.   That is all you can do at this point in time.  

If something in his behavior or his physical development seems off, check in with your vet and, if warranted, do some directed testing, based on the observed problem.    Otherwise,   keep on doing what you are doing.  Pro Plan is a top quality feed and  should supply all the nutrients the youngster needs to grow and flourish.  He may be bored with the food, but...so what?  He will get over it.   Just keep and eye on his growth and development, his activity level and energy level.   If the dog keeps progressing, growing and has normal energy and activity levels, I would go with it.

I have my adult dogs on self feeders.  They eat what they want, when they want and I really don't keep track of their food.  I look at the dogs and as long as i like what i see, I leave things alone.  

RayG

Yeah he’s growing and acting fine.  He will readily eat other stuff with enthusiasm, just not his kibble at this time.  Having a good food drive sure made training easier earlier in his life though lol.

I had a lab once that was a self feeder the first half of her life.  Then one day, she just lost control . . .