Garmin Instinct and Pro 550 Plus

After getting this last Christmas, I finally dug it out this week.  Rather amazing, because the instructions are trash, I was able to somehow figure out how to pair it with my Pro 550 Plus.  Did a full scale test today and it appears that it actually works.  I will from now on stick my Pro 550 Plus in the vest with the antenna sticking out and rely on my watch to show me where Sophie is.  PS.   This watch also tracks my heatbeat and how many steps I take.  Rather amazing IMO.  

20200825_102258.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tut

• Cooter Brown

• Virgil Kane

• Dogwood

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tut, from that screen on the watch if you push the "GPS" button (at 2 o'clock on the watch bezel) and release it quickly you'll get the big numbers.  Each button has two functions within each screen o

Barrett is on point or taking a dump or eating something gross.

After getting this last Christmas, I finally dug it out this week.  Rather amazing, because the instructions are trash, I was able to somehow figure out how to pair it with my Pro 550 Plus.  Did a ful

Posted Images

Just got my Garmin Instinct yesterday and got it set up for the most part.  Today I'm going to try and sync my Instinct and Alpha together.  But you are right, the instructions are trash.  I went to Youtube and it had a much better and more detailed instructions than Garmin did on their web site.

Interesting what these Instincts can do, besides heart beat monitor I checked my sleep pattern last night and now if I can sync it up with my Alpha it will be a tremendous help in the Grouse woods.  Only problem I have is I never wear any jewelry or watches and it's going to take me a while to get use to wearing this thing.

Virgil

Cooter Brown

tut, from that screen on the watch if you push the "GPS" button (at 2 o'clock on the watch bezel) and release it quickly you'll get the big numbers.  Each button has two functions within each screen on the watch, depending on if you release it quickly or hold it down.  The only way to really learn it is to play with it, although I'm sure like VK said there are some good videos about it on youtube.

Big numbers below--if you have more than one dog the buttons at 9 and 7 o'clock scroll through them.

The "Set" or "Back" button at 5 o'clock takes you back to the other screens you have set up.

561924260_instinctafterrefreshed.jpg.5b1468ead64cff8918bb8e6adbba69c9.jpg

Just set up my dog tracking synced with the Alpha.  I have to test it outside because my Instinct is showing the collar 26 feet away and the exact opposite direction when the watch and hand held are just a couple feet away from each other.  Probably getting some interference from something inside.

Virgil 

Ahhhhhh,  perfection. Ant the Instinct even vibrates when the dog is on point. 

Virgil. 

Cooter Brown
20 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Just set up my dog tracking synced with the Alpha.  I have to test it outside because my Instinct is showing the collar 26 feet away and the exact opposite direction when the watch and hand held are just a couple feet away from each other.  Probably getting some interference from something inside.

Virgil 

You'll still get that outside.  Within 20-30 yards or so the directional arrow is not super accurate on either the handheld or the Instinct (which is getting all its info from the handheld), and accuracy falls off the closer you get.

I think the main reason for this is that both the collar and the handheld have an amount of error as far as knowing exactly where they are, and the error from both devices stacks and creates the cumulative error seen on the devices.

Works great outside. Tut , hope you enjoy the hands free monitoring as much as I am going to. 

Virgil 

So do you guys wear the instinct on the outside of your jacket or shirt?   

I’m trying to convince myself I need one.  But for example I know trying to take a look at my Apple Watch for the time takes longer than just lifting the alpha up and looking at the screen. 

1 hour ago, ScenicRoute said:

So do you guys wear the instinct on the outside of your jacket or shirt?   

I’m trying to convince myself I need one.  But for example I know trying to take a look at my Apple Watch for the time takes longer than just lifting the alpha up and looking at the screen. 

Wear it like a watch. Mine shows the same image and distance as my Alpha and they show and vibrate simultaneously.  The Instincts is always on unless I shut it off and I just look a my wrist for the time same as I would for a Timex ,Rolex or any other conventional watch. I don't know how the Garmin products compare to an Apple watch.

Virgil  

• 2 weeks later...

Boy try as I might I cannot figure out how to pair my Instinct to the Pro 550.  Yes the instructions are terrible.  Could not locate any YT videos for this pairing.

Help!!!

12 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Boy try as I might I cannot figure out how to pair my Instinct to the Pro 550.  Yes the instructions are terrible.  Could not locate any YT videos for this pairing.

Help!!!

You don't need to "pair" it per se.

Do you have "Dog Tracking" set up as a widget on your watch?

10 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

You don't need to "pair" it per se.

Do you have "Dog Tracking" set up as a widget on your watch?

Yes.