Stomach issues...

Last thursday my 7 year old female English setter wouldn't eat. She would eat a lot of grass that night more than usual and vomit bile and grass 3 or 4 times. I chalked it up as sick or upset stomach. Friday I boiled some chicken and gave her that and rice. She ate seemed normal Friday and saturday than Sunday back to snubbing her food again and eating grass. Now I'm getting kind of worried. Decide if she doesn't eat Monday I'll call the vet for app. She ate again and actually her normal food. Thought ok she's better now. Though I was hearing loud gurgling stomach sounds not every once in a while but pretty constant. Now today while I was at work step son said she threw up again a couple of times. When I got home she was running around but decided to take her to the emergency vet because normal vet couldn't see her for 2 days. I've been here at the e room since 530. Cant go in with pets here which sux. They said she has slight temp. After reading the other post about gastro and the symptoms I thought pancreatitis,  bet my life on it. Well they ran a test on the liver, kidney, x ray on gi tract to look for obstruction , and did a pancreas test. They just said everything was good. Si they are releasing her with anti diarrhea meds and a shot to help stop vomiting for 24 hrs. Ok. They said next step would be ultra sound because that may be able to pick up more things .. just seems weird that it comes and goes for almost a week now.  Just throwing this out there in a long winded rant in the parking lot where I've been pacing back in forth for 3 hrs now. Just wondering what you guys think about this one. I could have sworn it was inflammation of the pancreas but they say no. Maybe just sick. Not sure. Will be back to chicken and rice from here on out.  Thanks for listening. 

Brett

Tough on you to have to wait outside.  Hope it all works out ok, but it is pretty hard for you to feel so helpless and have to trust people whom you have never met to diagnose correctly for your dog.  I would be frantic.

shoot-straight

GI stuff is always tough to diagnose if there's no smoking gun. Been there many Many times. 

not that it's what happening in this case, but my last dog was getting terrible gi issues intermittently, and trips to the vet, inconclusive- same thing. Surcralfate and antibiotics. One day I noticed Something, he was eating my neighbors guinea fowl crap who were intermittently visiting my property. One shotgun blast, one less guinea fowl and no more vet visits. 

keep watching, you may be overlooking something. Best wishes that our pup feels better

All three Setters had same two weeks ago , one right after the other . I chalked it up to they ate something . What I don't know .

They're fine now .

That's what I was wondering. Friends dog same thing. Idk just hope it goes away on it's own. The clinic wants 1200 minimum for an ultrasound which id the next step let's hope I dont head there. The tech would need to be called in the night i was there 1600 for it at night. Wowzers, I'd pay thousands if it fixed it but cmon. Called my regular vet not something they really specialize in . Would be better off at the e clinic. Ok cooool.

My 12 yo had me concerned so I had an Xray and blood work done . Not taking any chances with a dog who's compromised by age . The six and seven yo I figured could handle it . 

Took about a week of boiled hamburg and rice . 

5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

My 12 yo had me concerned so I had an Xray and blood work done . Not taking any chances with a dog who's compromised by age . The six and seven yo I figured could handle it . 

Took about a week of boiled hamburg and rice . 

Good combination that can be enhanced with cottage cheese.  Works in cats too.

Perk