REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
drummer's stump

Almost can't bear it

drummer's stump

Bear trapping is probably the most stressful thing I have done, the last time I swore it was the last time, but I started to get the itchy feeling last week. I have what looks like a nice boar coming in every night. This year is the first time with this particular trap, which is a spring loaded cable slipped over a 6" pipe. When the bear pulls on the wire basket inside it slips the cable off the pipe and the tention in the spring fires it. I spent the last couple night tweaking things. Tomorrow I will set. 

STC_0032.JPG

STC_0022.JPG

atticus

I’m looking forward to following this—totally new to me!

This may be a dumb question.....  let’s say a smallish bear you don’t want gets trapped. How do you release it or are you just stuck taking it and missing out on the one you were trying for?  

WI Outdoor Nut

Maybe I am a little slow here, but why are we trapping a bear?  I know they do this for "problem bears", but this sounds like you are doing it to be sporty.  Like a catch are release program?  Would seem to me there must be something else to do for fun. 

grouse28

It’s a trapping thing. It gets into your blood. Similar to bird hunting or any other blood sport.

I trapped for many years as did my brothers. My younger brother trapped a bear in Maine the last year traditional football holds were legal. Why, you ask? Because he was a trapper. It was a bucket list item. Not for everyone. Trapping is a one on one game of wits with a wild animal as opposed to flushing a bird and shooting it out of the air. Both endeavors have a place in my heart.

Trappers are part of the brotherhood of outdoorsmen. Don’t criticize them. I don’t understand baiting deer or road sluicing grouse. I’ll let that those that do it, do it. As sportsmen we cannot afford to divide our ranks, we have to defend ourselves from more dangerous foes.

drummer's stump
7 hours ago, atticus said:

I’m looking forward to following this—totally new to me!

This may be a dumb question.....  let’s say a smallish bear you don’t want gets trapped. How do you release it or are you just stuck taking it and missing out on the one you were trying for?  

The trail camera is the greatest addition to this, you can see what is coming in. You cannot make any guarantees, but the odds are much higher when you have a nice boar working the set that a smaller bear will not come in. I don't trap on years when there abundant wild foods, but there are situations where it can be productive.On years with very heavy beech nut crops, trapping on high ridges in late October can have good results. Sows with cubs go into the den first, on a year like this I bet some have gone in by the end of next week, then younger bear will go in. The big boars are usually the last to go in, I think they will all be in by the first week of October. Your question about small bears being released, you pin the bear down behind a piece of plywood and cut the cable. A friend of mine caught a young bear in a coyote trap last year, which was surprising. There is a relaxing lock on the cable and a stop at 2 1/2" to minimize injury. The cable I use is the same one the state bear biologist uses for trapping research bears, and they have had very few injuries in hundreds of bears. 

WI Outdoor Nut
10 hours ago, grouse28 said:

It’s a trapping thing. It gets into your blood. Similar to bird hunting or any other blood sport.

I trapped for many years as did my brothers. My younger brother trapped a bear in Maine the last year traditional football holds were legal. Why, you ask? Because he was a trapper. It was a bucket list item. Not for everyone. Trapping is a one on one game of wits with a wild animal as opposed to flushing a bird and shooting it out of the air. Both endeavors have a place in my heart.

Trappers are part of the brotherhood of outdoorsmen. Don’t criticize them. I don’t understand baiting deer or road sluicing grouse. I’ll let that those that do it, do it. As sportsmen we cannot afford to divide our ranks, we have to defend ourselves from more dangerous foes.

Tough to tell in a tone of an email, but want to make sure everyone knows, I am not at all against trapping.  I get the in the blood thing for sure. 

So when we are talking "trapping bears", all footholds, like used for yote's, just bigger?  I just can't image a bear is very happy to see a trapper coming up when he/she is tied to a foothold.  Wouldn't they be quite aggressive?  And if it is smaller than one would like, how do you release it?  I am aware of the neck restraint used to release non-target species on foothold for yote's, but what does one do in this situation. 

NCgrouse

You going with a guy named Butch by chance??

drummer's stump
42 minutes ago, NCgrouse said:

You going with a guy named Butch by chance??

That is one of his aliases!!  He is a very very good coyote trapper, just don't tell him I said that. I don't think I have met anyone who works harder at the art of coyote trapping, I have learned a lot about k9 trapping from him. In his younger days he was quite the trap shooter as well. Only person I know of with 500,000 registered trap targets.

NCgrouse

Yeah he's a good guy. Small world lol. We chat a lot on a coyote trapper forum. Looking forward to pics when you tangle him up. I'd say over 280, by the way 😉

Marc Ret

That "Butch" fella is a shady character. The only thing good one can say about him is he likes Labs. 

drummer's stump

If you have dry land trapped, then you have had a trap dug out. Bears take digging out to a new level!! Bear 1 - Me 0

IMG_2013.JPG

Dave in Maine
On 9/4/2020 at 9:04 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Tough to tell in a tone of an email, but want to make sure everyone knows, I am not at all against trapping.  I get the in the blood thing for sure. 

So when we are talking "trapping bears", all footholds, like used for yote's, just bigger?  I just can't image a bear is very happy to see a trapper coming up when he/she is tied to a foothold.  Wouldn't they be quite aggressive?  And if it is smaller than one would like, how do you release it?  I am aware of the neck restraint used to release non-target species on foothold for yote's, but what does one do in this situation. 

No.  Just cable sets like the biologists use.  It is the one kind of hunting where you can catch and release, if the bear is not one you want to take.

OTOH, it ain't easy because the bear will get to smell "human" all around the set if you aren't careful, with the result you might expect, i.e., leaving.

drummer's stump

Well the bears are still whipping my ass, but a bigger bear showed up last night and ran other bear off. In the second photo you can see the cable fire from the bear clawing at it. 

STC_0189.JPG

STC_0221.JPG

salmontogue

I always wanted to try trapping but never had the opportunity even while a teenager.  By the time I finished college, went off for military service, returned for a law enforcement job and an MBA, changed jobs and earned a PhD in finance nights and weekends, I was thoroughly exhausted and out of spare time.  I figured I would get to trapping later but later never came after I embarked on a hobby gun business in addition to my primary job.  Funny how these things happen.  There are lessons to be learned.   I learned slowly and too late.  Pursue your dreams...all of them.

Trapping fascinates me.

Perk

Doubleplay
On 9/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, drummer's stump said:

That is one of his aliases!!  He is a very very good coyote trapper, just don't tell him I said that. I don't think I have met anyone who works harder at the art of coyote trapping, I have learned a lot about k9 trapping from him. In his younger days he was quite the trap shooter as well. Only person I know of with 500,000 registered trap targets.

500,000 registered targets??? He must be very rich! lol