Almost can't bear it

drummer's stump

WI Outdoor Nut
8 hours ago, Doubleplay said:

500,000 registered targets??? He must be very rich! lol

Or poor because he spent all his cash on shooting!!

9 hours ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Or poor because he spent all his cash on shooting!!

Gotta spend it on something. 

drummer's stump

I guess in the hay day of American trap if you were a good shot you could make a little money shooting trap. In south central Pennsylvania just about every town had a couple trap fields and you go pick up a few hundred dollars pretty easy. 

I'd love to see pics of the snare.   I can't picture it how you described it.    Have you seen the WCS12 thrower?  That's what I have, I like it just because it kind of looks like a foot hold and sets like one.   I've daydreamed of trapping a bear for years and I finally tried it last year.  Had some action but when I figured out it was a sow with cubs I pulled the trap.  The cubs where coming in first and the loop wasn't small enough to hold them so every morning there was an empty trap.  This year I won't have the funds to try again.   I'd get the license even though the out of state one is pricey, but paying a guy $700 to bait for a week before I get there is the deal breaker.   Its all going to the dog trainer this year instead.   

Good luck, post lots of pics!  

drummer's stump

I never did end up catching a bear, not sure if the bears moved off to a natural food source or they went in, but we had no activity on baits sites after the 13th. The last trap I had set was a trail set and by the photo of the trap firing I could not have missed him by much. Near as I can figure, the bear must have stepped on vs inside the cable when he fired the traps. If you look just to left of tree you can see the throw arm sticking up. Like I said before trapping bears is not all fun and games. He will be bigger next year!! 

STC_0009.JPG

And everyone thought trapping is easy. (or baiting..I’m certain trapping is more challenging...anyhow) I baited for quite a few years, saw bear while in stand, and never shot one...too small or I had a bow at the time and the right shot wasn't presented. Thanks for taking us along. Fascinating.