Switching Dog Feed. Definite positive change.

I recently decided to feed my 4 dogs a better quality feed since I was not happy with current feed. I was feeding a Southern States food that was 26% protein 18% fat but did have ground corn and some other fillers. I switched to a feed made by Diamond for Tractor Supply branded 4Health  Strive. The bag I feed is a 30% protein 20% fat and has no corn soy or wheat. After 2 weeks only I can see a higher energy level with dogs and def. Better digest ability with less stool. A good quality feed def. Matters and better results. What does others feed and what changes have you made over time? 

20200829_110550.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Hall

• 1971snipe

• WMassGriff

• UplandHntr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have fed Diamond dog food for years, back to the 1980's when the local feed store carried it. For years I fed Diamond Hi-Pro, and now Extreme Athlete. I have always been very pleased with my dogs pe

I use Diamond naturals switching to Extreme athlete as the season starts.  They do well on it. Pup was on PPP when I got her, a lot of gas so switched back to Diamond 

I wish PPP worked for my two.  I just found that they had too many stools on it.  Switched over to Victor a few months ago and things seem to be pretty well balanced now.     I think this fo

Posted Images

I fed my previous pup on 4-Health chicken and rice formula. The price was right and the pup thrived. My current pup was started on Purina  Pro Plan 30/20 All Age and I've continued with it. She's 15 months age. She's a high energy Lab and I'll continue with Purina for now.

What ever round comes out the barrel the best !  That said when I got my first shorthair in 1997 I was feeding Purina Pro Plan and the dog did great his entire life on it. When my second pup was in the planning stages I started researching food. It seemed at the time that perhaps one of the high quaility feeds may be the ticket.  Eventually went back to Purina product and the dog did great. 

I remember once asking a vet their opinion and they claimed " you are what you eat" so felt the high priced Holistic feed was best.

Another vet claimed that the bigger companies such as Purina had a better quaility control in place to monitor their products. 

Final answer- what ever the dog did good on was the best answer -IMO 

That said these sporting breeds have been fed Purina products for so long I think their bodies are really accustomed to it .

Again ~ JMHO 

2 & 1/4  Dogs - 1/4 because Axe is still a puppy and all have done best on Purina .  A few of my observations. 

19 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

...ground corn and some other fillers...

Though I've long forgotten the fellow's name, statements like the above always remind of a Texas pointing dog super-duper pro's response to then-Field & Stream dog columnist, Bill Tarrant's, question about feed.  Was along the lines of "Most anything's fine - as long as it has a lot of corn."

Don't know that this more casual feeder would go that far, but I agree with the actual canine nutritionists that properly processed corn is far from just "filler".

But while anything Diamond lost me with their string of dog killing "oversights" years back, I'm glad you've found something you're happy with.

Both of mine are on PPP , different versions and do fine. Ive been on the food roller coaster enough to know that if you found something thats works, stick with it. 
glad you found one that is working for you

PPP has been my go to product.  30/20 for younger dogs Bright minds for older dogs.  Some one told me with higher end products you get more consistency of ingredients. 

PPP here too on the recommendation of the breeder. Before I switched 10 years ago Sammy was having some allergy issues that cleared up with PPP /no corn.

My 11.5 year old Brittany had always scratched a lot ,it became worse about 3 years ago.I took her to vets and they sold me some products like 

fish oil , we were camping in Arizona and took her to a vet there,she [the vet]gave me some pills that interfered with the" itch switch" in her brain.

The itching stopped right away.

We had tried different foods to no avail but decided to try Purina pro plan focus  [salmon and rice] with no grains, no corn ,no wheat, no soy.

after 2 weeks we took her off the medication and continued to feed the pro plan focus,here we are 1 year later and no scratching

Ive tried many high protein foods...many didn’t digest well with my GSP’s.  I went to PPP and have been using that for a couple years now...

PPP has been my go to feed in recent years but right now they're on Sport Mix Chicken and Rice from Tractor Supply. Higher protein and fat count. I've fed the 4 Health chicken and rice formula and they did fine on it. I think we kinda overthink this stuff. Until about ten years ago I fed Joy, #1 ingredient was ground yellow corn. My GSP's looked great and were still hunting into their teens?? 

Kansas Big Dog
On 9/4/2020 at 9:27 AM, Bird Buster said:

I switched to a feed made by Diamond for Tractor Supply branded 4Health  Strive.

I have fed Diamond dog food for years, back to the 1980's when the local feed store carried it. For years I fed Diamond Hi-Pro, and now Extreme Athlete. I have always been very pleased with my dogs performance, especially with the Extreme Athlete.   Tractor Supply is where I buy the Extreme Athlete. Purina and Diamond are both Missouri Companies.

I use Diamond naturals switching to Extreme athlete as the season starts.  They do well on it. Pup was on PPP when I got her, a lot of gas so switched back to Diamond 

I’ve tried a myriad of foods over the years. Many quite expensive. My Golden from way back had skin issues, so we were constantly trying different food. After seeing so many recalls for the dog foods we were using I went back to PPP/Purina Pro Plan for all the dogs. They eat it, they poop out solid flingables and have as much energy as I can handle.

I wish PPP worked for my two.  I just found that they had too many stools on it.  Switched over to Victor a few months ago and things seem to be pretty well balanced now.  

I think this food thing is really a ford vs. chevy deal.   Lots of good choices out there, some bad ones, find what works for you and hope the price/availability stays reasonable.