Jump to content

Switching Dog Feed. Definite positive change.


Recommended Posts

I lost a dog in May that was extremely finicky. She was a real pain about her food. My wife eventually found a food that she would consistently eat but it was expensive and difficult to find at times. Our remaining Vizsla will eat anything, so I am in the process of switching her out to Victor and off the other stuff. So far she is doing well on it. I live out in the country and Victor is readily available at the local feed and the farm and ranch stores. I learned that easy to find dog food is important especially when you travel to hunt. That was the deciding factor for me when determining which brand to switch too. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Rick Hall

    5

  • 1971snipe

    2

  • WMassGriff

    2

  • UplandHntr

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have fed Diamond dog food for years, back to the 1980's when the local feed store carried it. For years I fed Diamond Hi-Pro, and now Extreme Athlete. I have always been very pleased with my dogs pe

I use Diamond naturals switching to Extreme athlete as the season starts.  They do well on it. Pup was on PPP when I got her, a lot of gas so switched back to Diamond 

I wish PPP worked for my two.  I just found that they had too many stools on it.  Switched over to Victor a few months ago and things seem to be pretty well balanced now.     I think this fo

Posted Images

Purina Pro Plan is my go to, and the dogs do well with it.  Occasionally I'll mix in a small amount of something different like Science Diet or other Purina and they seem to enjoy it and it prevents burnout.  

Lately my grandson gave me a container of feed that he said was Purina 1.  Some of it fell into a water bowl and I noticed that it never dissolved.  Curious, I got some and put it into a bowl of water to observe over time, and it never dissolved, but became like hard rubber.  You sure this is Purina?, I asked my grandson.  "Absolutely", he said.  Just regular old Purina Dog Chow will soak up water and fall apart .  I haven't tried PPP yet.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 10:46 PM, Mosby said:

...I am in the process of switching her out to Victor and off the other stuff. So far she is doing well on it. I live out in the country and Victor is readily available at the local feed and the farm and ranch stores. I learned that easy to find dog food is important especially when you travel to hunt. That was the deciding factor for me when determining which brand to switch too.

 

Never had a dog do anything but well on Pro Plan's 30/20, but have switched to Victor's, which they've done at least as well on, if not better in terms of coat - and the Victor affords the advantage of supporting neighbors'  feed store just down the road.   Save a couple bucks over Chewy's PPP price, too.  But would gladly pay that difference for the simple pleasure of stopping in a small town feed store.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PP Focus for my dog. Previous dogs were fed homemade food but this guy turned his nose up at it so..... We do mixd in some cottage cheese and sardines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feed Costco/Kirkland for a good while (Chicken and Rice) and then Covid changed that.  The other food I've feed most is PPP 30/20.  Not sure its the best, but its consistent.   I did try the Extreme Athlete Diamond from Tractor Supply one time and lets say the stools seemed too firm.  Thought the dogs were going to blow a valve trying to push them out.  Back to PPP.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tut said:

I feed Costco/Kirkland for a good while (Chicken and Rice) and then Covid changed that.  The other food I've feed most is PPP 30/20.  Not sure its the best, but its consistent.   I did try the Extreme Athlete Diamond from Tractor Supply one time and lets say the stools seemed too firm.  Thought the dogs were going to blow a valve trying to push them out.  Back to PPP.  

My dogs have exactly the opposite reaction on extreme athlete and I've tried it a couple times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WMassGriff said:

PP Focus for my dog. Previous dogs were fed homemade food but this guy turned his nose up at it so..... We do mixd in some cottage cheese and sardines. 

You mix in because hes that fussy or for a health benefit?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he is fussy (my fault) thus the cottage cheese, but we do feel that the sardines are good for him and his coat along with salmon oil tabs. He is not a food motivated dog (except for Milk Bone minis).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alaskan Swamp Collie

PPP can be found in almost every little town. So when you are traveling and run out you don't have to switch and end up with loose stools in a motel room.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alaskan Swamp Collie said:

PPP can be found in almost every little town.

 

Maybe in Alaska.  If the town's not big enough for a big box store, you'll not find it in South Louisiana.  Have to find a Pet Smart (or "co") or Tractor Supply to find get it here without ordering from Chewys.  But I've fed feed store available Victor interchangeably with PPP without issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Don Steese said:

My dogs have exactly the opposite reaction on extreme athlete and I've tried it a couple times.

 

My dogs have been like yours with regard to Diamond-made 30-20s vs PP's.  Loose stools and paint peeling farts with Diamond's and great "Tootsie Roll turds" with Pro Plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was feeding our dog PPP Sport.  But when your vet tells you there are at least two carcinigens in the food, what do you do?

She would have us feed raw 100% but a bit pricy and not practical when on trips.

Currently feeding him Native and some raw (not in the same meal).  Not 100% sold on Native but he does well on it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bullseyebill said:

But when your vet tells you there are at least two carcinigens in the food, what do you do?

 

I'd change vets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve been feeding Diamond extreme athlete during hunting season. At TSC yesterday I picked up the 4 health equivalent, two 35# bags for $9:67. Expiration date is next August. It seems they are switching to 45# bags. Wanted these gone I’m thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
braque du upstate

Just switched to victor.  Breeder / trainer feed PPP . I went with it . Got her back , lots of scratching.  Chewing at her feet . Puppy acne , poop is decent . Too soon to tell , preliminary research seems like it's a good alternative to PPP .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...