Switching Dog Feed. Definite positive change.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, 1971snipe said:

Purina Pro Plan is my go to, and the dogs do well with it.  Occasionally I'll mix in a small amount of something different like Science Diet or other Purina and they seem to enjoy it and it prevents burnout.  

Lately my grandson gave me a container of feed that he said was Purina 1.  Some of it fell into a water bowl and I noticed that it never dissolved.  Curious, I got some and put it into a bowl of water to observe over time, and it never dissolved, but became like hard rubber.  You sure this is Purina?, I asked my grandson.  "Absolutely", he said.  Just regular old Purina Dog Chow will soak up water and fall apart .  I haven't tried PPP yet.  

Chunks of Purina PPP never dissolve in water, they become like hard rubber.  Don't know what this observation proves; it's just an observation.  

Meanwhile a good friend of mine feeds his 12 yo female GSP a product called Blue Buffalo, that he buys at a local feed store, and she does well on it.    

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Hall

• 1971snipe

• WMassGriff

• UplandHntr

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have fed Diamond dog food for years, back to the 1980's when the local feed store carried it. For years I fed Diamond Hi-Pro, and now Extreme Athlete. I have always been very pleased with my dogs pe

I use Diamond naturals switching to Extreme athlete as the season starts.  They do well on it. Pup was on PPP when I got her, a lot of gas so switched back to Diamond 

I wish PPP worked for my two.  I just found that they had too many stools on it.  Switched over to Victor a few months ago and things seem to be pretty well balanced now.     I think this fo

Posted Images

Both my GSP's do really well on Victor. Both were fed ppp from the breeder but both had a hard time keeping weight on the first year and the younger one especially, had loose stools. Put him on Victor 30/20 and he was much better in a few weeks. Gave ppp a solid chance both times but Victor for whatever reason has been much better. 

Still going strong with PPP for Springer and Cav.... (As I’ve expressed before, I’ve tried all sorts of brands over the years and got tired of the recalls so am sticking with PPP.) No issues outside of the Cav gaining weight like a fat piglet. She gets PPP for small dogs but we have caught her stealing Cash’ large dog formula when we aren’t looking. We are experimenting now with some Science Diet “diet” blend for little dogs and see if that will keep her weight at 20lbs or below.  When PPP for the Springer stops producing solid flingable poops or if any issues arise I guess I’ll try Victor.

Sorry, haven't read all responses. Just thought I'd add that for the first year my dog seemed "unsettled", loose stool one time, solid the next, or throw it all up 4 hrs after feeding. I started on PPP, when to Victor, then to Diamond, and I think one other. And, back to PPP. Finally, at around one year old, Lucy's digestive system has settled down, and she has been on PPP since.