REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
1971snipe

GMC Sierra Transmission

1971snipe

Last fall:  After last year's flood I hauled flood damaged items to a county landfill, and while backing up where directed by dump personnel something scraped underneath my truck, ripping off the protective plastic shroud from the underside of the truck.  Afterward I noticed oil drops on the driveway, and thinking damaged seal, brought the truck to a garage.  Turns out the leaked fluid was ATF.  The garage saw no damage, but they did tighten the bolts for the transmission oil pan, which stopped the leak.  

Last week:  I'm driving ~65 mph when suddenly I hear (and feel) a clicking noise from underneath the truck, like cards in bicycle spokes.  I pulled over and checked underneath, and drove slowly, both forward and reverse, and hear the same noise.  The garage had it towed to their shop, and have pinpointed the noise as coming from the transmission.  ATF level was just slightly low.  

I did a quick search on the symptoms for my model, (2011), and there are many possibilities.  I'm thinking the failure or damage is ultimately due to whatever happened at the dump last year.  I would appreciate any ideas, especially if by chance anyone here has had similar transmission noise/issues .  

Marc Ret

I'd be interested to hear what the shop comes up with.

Given what you describe as the noise, it sounds more like something is misaligned in the driveline or a worn bearing/u-joint on the driveshaft than an actual issue with the tranny. Does the rate of the clicking increase as speed increases or does it remain constant? 

Regardless, best of luck getting it sorted out. 

1971snipe
3 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

I'd be interested to hear what the shop comes up with.

Given what you describe as the noise, it sounds more like something is misaligned in the driveline or a worn bearing/u-joint on the driveshaft than an actual issue with the tranny. Does the rate of the clicking increase as speed increases or does it remain constant? 

Regardless, best of luck getting it sorted out. 

Increases with speed.  It began so suddenly I thought it was road noise at first, then u-joint.  

The shop listened with a stethoscope and initially thought transfer case, but a replacement didn't stop the noise. 

Lurch

I had a similar noise on my 07 2500, thought the Tcase had engaged at speed and ground teeth or something. They checked the T-case and it was fine but dropped the trans pan and it was full of shavings. A thrust bearing went out, making big parts into little parts.GM had the 100k warranty and the trans was replaced within 2 days free of charge. 

RayB

My bro in law's GMC has been in the shop several times for his transmission, Tim check around I think GM has had to extend warranties on their trannys. Of course I only found out about GM's tranny problems after I bought my 2018 Chevy 😡

1971snipe
3 hours ago, RayB said:

My bro in law's GMC has been in the shop several times for his transmission, Tim check around I think GM has had to extend warranties on their trannys. Of course I only found out about GM's tranny problems after I bought my 2018 Chevy 😡

That would be nice.   Also I'm thinking of filing a claim on insurance, presuming I have to replace the trans.