I downloaded the 7 day free trial if onx for maine but it doesn't or wont show me the age of timber cuts like it does for other states. Is this just because maine maps aren't up to date on the software or not supported yet? Because it looks like it could be one heck of a tool if it did. 

I downloaded the ONX app and played around with the trial version. I found the private property boundary lines highly inaccurate. That doesn’t seem to be the case in other states from what I’ve heard. It’s hard enough determining private and public property lines up here, and that’s apparently also the case with digital maps. (Maine is 94% privately owned. And that is not a typo.)

6 hours ago, ESetterSage said:

I downloaded the 7 day free trial if onx for maine but it doesn't or wont show me the age of timber cuts like it does for other states. Is this just because maine maps aren't up to date on the software or not supported yet? Because it looks like it could be one heck of a tool if it did. 

Timber cuts in MN are for USFW areas only. I spent the better part of 12 hours overlaying the cuts to some of my most productive covers and very few were correct or shown. 

"Maine is 94% privately owned."

I had no idea.  Wow.

As for On X and private boundaries, I've found it to be surprisingly accurate in the places I hunt in Michigan.

WI Outdoor Nut
28 minutes ago, Brent said:

"Maine is 94% privately owned."

I had no idea.  Wow.

As for On X and private boundaries, I've found it to be surprisingly accurate in the places I hunt in Michigan.

Same here in WI.  Lines were very accurate, to the point where we had a trespasser and he "thought" he was in the right.  Said, let's see, and pulled up the app.  He was off by about 30 yards and he backed out with his tail between his legs. 

Just another side question is scout n hunt the same as onx. Says I can purchase maine maps for 65 dollars for scout n hunt. Just curious if anyone from maine uses this app. Thankyou in advance.

OnX uses county data.  If your county hasn't provided digital data yet they won't have it.  I can't imagine them getting data from the large timber companies (i.e. private) to be able to overlay.  But, as has already been said, they are great to deal with.  I was in CO and they walked me through some stuff. 

i've just started fooling with it. 

Go into Layers and look under Hunt

I can see timber cuts on National forests only.

I’m not so sure the program is 30 yards accurate or that I would call someone out based on the boundary shown on On-X.  As you can see, it shows my a$$hole neighbor’s buildings on my property.  When I had it surveyed, they are one foot off the property line and the county setback is 10’ but that is another story.

40388888-A718-473A-A1A2-32658BA77455.png

Are the buildings considered to be pre-existing non-conforming and subject to an awarded variance or maybe grandfathered?

I have more disparity in fence lines between public and private vs OnX here in Colorado than anything else.  When checked against county records, the fence placement was in error and invariably in the private land owners favor - go figure.  😎