REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Stone/Bug/Hood Protector?

Do they work or just for show?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do Bug/Stone/Hood Protectors work to help keep windshields from getting dinged.

• Yes, they work
    • No, they don’t work
    • I don’t care, I like the look

Brad Eden

I’m in that tweak/mod phase with my new to me Tacoma truck. And trust me there is an entire business surrounding  tweaking and add-ons for a Tacoma or any truck for that matter.

My ‘06 Tundra that I drove here in the northeast for 11 years went through at least 3-4 windshields. It seemed to be prone to getting pebbles and rocks thrown against the windshield when driving on roads and especially highways. Mostly in spring after all the sand and crap was put on roads in winter. Constant pits and dings, leading to spider web cracks. We have free replacement with our insurance but after a few times you can see the seal, although waterproop, starts getting wavy and worn. 

This Tacoma has some sort of auto dimming rear view mirror that appears to be hooked up to sensors thus the battery, and it has a built in Go Pro video attachment. Looks like more of a chore to replace than old truck.

I wondering if the Bug/Stone/Hood protectors you attach under the lip of the hood actually work to keep windshields and hoods from getting beat up and cracked by flying objects. Poll included in this Topic.

WI Outdoor Nut

I think they will help your hood from getting chipped up, but not your windshield.  Biggest thing, as I had to teach my wife, is don't ride too close to the vehicle in front of you.  Now of course, the vehicles on the other side of the road can toss pebbles at you, but most come from the vehicle in front of you. 

RookieEP

Had one on my previous honda pilot close to 10 years never a windshield issue knock on wood.  Did think it helped reduce hood dings.  One annoying thing is trying to clean the space in front of the bug deflector. Trying to think back- i think it had drain holes.   If you park outside often and have a lot of trees dropping leaves and such might not be a good idea if you don't Clean often.  

Virgil Kane
24 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

Had one on my previous honda pilot close to 10 years never a windshield issue knock on wood.  Did think it helped reduce hood dings.  One annoying thing is trying to clean the space in front of the bug deflector. Trying to think back- i think it had drain holes.   If you park outside often and have a lot of trees dropping leaves and such might not be a good idea if you don't Clean often.  

You can go to your local home improvement center and by one of those paint brushes that are made out of a foam material instead of bristles.  They work great for getting into tight spots when washing your car/truck.

As far as the bug/stone shields, I have thought about them but I hate the looks and like many people have said, they will not stop stones from chipping your windshield. They are probably very useful in areas that get a lot of flying bugs early morning or late evening. Nothing worse than smeared bugs across the windshield when driving into the sun.

Virgil

WMassGriff

Keep the front of my hood from getting dinged but that's about it! Mostly for show, just like those damn Deer whistles that I had to put on company vehicles until the "brains" figured out that the deer didn't give a Sh** about them!

Chukarman

I have a deflector on my Landcruiser, but not on my F350. I have gone through 2 windshields on the Landcruiser and three on the F350. But I have had the Ford a lot longer and driven it about 30K miles more than the 'Cruiser. So I'd say that they may help protect the windshield some - or not. They do protect the hood very well.

Swampy 16

Will they stop 2’ long pieces of 2x4? I had one almost come through my windshield when I had my Tundra. Scared the sh!t out of me. 

Brad Eden
13 minutes ago, Swampy 16 said:

Will they stop 2’ long pieces of 2x4? I had one almost come through my windshield when I had my Tundra. Scared the sh!t out of me. 

Or sheets of ice flipping off 18 wheelers and smaller vehicles roofs...this is a huge problem up here. Truckers and people not cleaning off their roofs of snow and ice, then rolling down the highway. Plenty of windshields are smashed, and accidents happening. I think there was a new law enacted to fine people found driving with too much snow and ice in vehicle roofs. 

OldSarge

I had one on my 89 Bronco. It held water and ice during the winter and caused premature rusting to the welded seam under the lip of the hood. Drain holes clog with debris, so unless you plan to keep the thing religiously clean and dry, it will rust your hood. 

WPG Gizmo

They do protect the front edge of your hood but you can also buy a plastic sheet made for this that seals your hood from damage

They do not protect your windshield.

There is Jessica's law which states that you have to clean your vehicle off of all ice and snow and it does get enforced the problem is that they dont stop everyone.  the fine is $250-500 for the first offense and $1000 plus for the second.

Truck drivers are not going to climb onto the trailer roof during the winter that is a sure way to get hurt or killed when you fall off so they have invented a drive through roof cleaner you see them in truck yards and truck stops.  Buses are another problem area School buses mainly most drivers are women and they dont clean the roofs off I see a lot of them driving around with snow and they never get stopped.  We had one of the DOT foremen driving home get hit by a sheet of ice coming off a truck it destroyed the cab and came close to killing him the only thing that saved him was he saw it coming and ducked.