REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

It begins again...on Monday...

Brad Eden

IMG_1256.JPG

Maine Fall Turkey Season begins this Monday 9/14/20. Same 5 bird limit, either sex as last year. Some zones allow less but the total bag limit is 5. I shot my share last fall and most were mature or large Jakes. I am going to try and kill at least one polt this fall, and as advised by better turkey hunters and cooks than me...they are wonderful plucked and baked like a chicken or brined and smoked.

As expressed before I’m an ambivalent Fall wild turkey hunter. I don’t typically actively plan and carry out hunts in the conventional sense; spot, scatter, kee kee or lost hen call and draw them back etc. I do keep a shotgun, shells, calls and gear in my truck for birds of opportunity while on my travels. If I spot a workable flock, and I have time, I’ll stop, gear up and sneak into a spot in their direction of travel. Do some basic yelps of kee kee’s and wait for them to get curious and come in within shotgun range. I sometimes have Cash with me and he has a good heel and will hunker down at the set up spot with the shakes and a low whine, and when let loose some fun can be had.

Also the Expanded Management bow deer season starts this Saturday the 12th, and that has my Adrenalin pumping much more than fall wild turkey. 

WMassGriff

Wow, are you lucky with the seasons you have! I will second the Poult suggestions and add even the legs are edible!

Spin1

Good luck Brad.

Dave in Maine

Small game opens Saturday, 9/26 this year.

SelbyLowndes

Dove's in in GA for a few more weeks (1st season), teal and Canada goose the 21st of this month, then the various bow and muzzle-loader deer seasons. No Fall turkey season here...SelbyLowndes

idcut

It's been open here since Sept 1st. I'm like Brad, in that when I'm out and about I'll have my gear with me and if I spot an opportunity, I'll try to take advantage of it, or  when I'm visiting my mom and doing some work on our property, I'll check it out for possibilities. There's usually a fair number of birds hanging around there, this time of year.

Brad Eden

I didn’t see any turkeys but one lone hen near some houses on my extended errand run this morning. Might take a quick drive around after lunch if I have time, and am planning on heading to my Expanded archery deer stand in late afternoon. So much to do, so little time.

Brad Eden

Seeing a lot of Turkey flocks. I have my shotgun, shells and gear in truck, but they have all been in or near the road, and too close to houses. 

Brad Eden

23D16ECB-AC9B-417C-A783-7612725D856A.jpeg

Finally got a fall wild turkey. The usual “knowing lay of the land”; spot large flock of hens and good sized poults in a blueberry barren, watch direction of travel...wait til out of sight...sneak, look, stop, slink, see a light blue head at 25 yards. BOOM! Average sized hen, wouldn’t have been unhappy with a Poult even. I wanted a young bird to smoke when the girls come up next week.

WMassGriff

Congratulations and good eating!

Brad Eden

FD9F3D7D-E5F5-496B-900A-4FD992A0933E.jpeg

After taking Cash for a bird hunt in a once productive cover that has gone cold, I dropped him off at the house and headed back out to run some errands. I spotted a mess of wild turkeys in a big farm field and decided what the heck, and was rewarded after a long spot and stalk, reposition, spot, stalk, repeat, on a bachelor group of Toms and Jakes that had broken off from the main flock. I’m talking about full crawl closer through woods territory. I also fooled with a mess of calls, and they could have cared less. That’s why I prefer Spring gobbler seasons over the fall hunt. Finally sealed the deal on one 20 pound Tom and couldn’t resist the temptation for his twin as it beat up on the flopping bird. That’s three turkeys so far and I’m done (ME has a 5 bird any sex limit in fall). Will concentrate on grouse, woodcock and bow deer. I’m getting too old to carry two big birds 1/2 mile back to the truck. Exhausting. And the MEIF&W needs to join other states with Online Tagging of wild turkeys. The workers at my local tagging station didn’t know how to do it since the owner wasn’t there, so I had to find another that could. No big deal but wild turkeys should be able to be tagged Online. IMO.