Puppy food for Adult Dogs

I have a three year old 75lb lab that since we got him has had a sensitive stomach.  It has been bad enough that we still have to feed him twice to three times a day to avoid him throwing up bile.  We have tried  large number of dog foods, from Purina, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, etc (probably 10-12 foods).  So far there have only been two that have given him fairly solid stool for long term and minimized his tendency to get sick before meal times.  The first was Taste of the Wild which he did well on and was high in calories, which for him is very important.  The problem there is that it was grain free and our vet told us in a very strong manner that we needed to move him off the grain free diet.  His current dog food Blue Basics Limited Turkey, not grain free version, seems to be fine so far with his stomach as well.  The issue we have now is that this has a much lower caloric density and he has started to lose weight as we have ramped up for the season.  We are already at 5 cups a day and I would hate to continue to increase that level, so my question is as follows.  They have a puppy version of this food that is more calorically dense, is there any reason I should not switch him to that food instead of the adult version?

TLDR:  Can I feed my adult dog a puppy formula of his food to help increase calories?

Hard to get ahold of without an appointment.  I just get a vet techs response which is that you should feed age appropriate food.  

Feed taste of the wild.  Wtf, if that’s what is working best then why not feed it. It’s a good food.  I’ve had great luck with it.  The occurrence of heart problems due to grain free I believe is grossly overstated.  

33 minutes ago, PGHgrouser said:

Hard to get ahold of without an appointment.  I just get a vet techs response which is that you should feed age appropriate food.  

Make an appointment? It seems odd that you say your dog has had this running issue since you got him yet your vet doesn't appear be that aware of it and hasn't given you specific guidance?

Also, it's not abnormal to feed 2x a day.

Given your dogs apparent issues with other food I don't think there's a health risk feeding the puppy food. You can adjust the amount if the dog starts putting on excess weight (which I think is the main concern feeding puppy food to adults.) 

Why was your vet so opposed to a grain free diet if he does good on it then feed it

Our lab had the throwing up bile problem. He always did it on an empty stomach. Our vet believed he had ulcer issues. He put him on Sucralfate for a week I think, along with Omeprazole. He did well with that regimen. It took time, but we eventually dialed in the omeprazole maintenance dose, food he would tolerate, and feeding schedule.

We discovered that feeding him the 30% protein Pro Plan did not work. He tolerates the 26% Pro Plan and must be fed 2x/day. He gets a maintenance dose of ompeprazole once/day.

No vomiting issues  for a couple of years now. It took time, patience and good record keeping(make one change at a time and give it time to work, or not before making another change) to dial-in everything, but no vomiting issues for a couple of years now.

Good luck.

Ryan,

My vet is very aware of the issue as we have spoken many times since he was a puppy.  At one point royal canin seemed to work but after 6 months the vomiting came back.  She has said we could go prescription or try LID diet which is the direction we went.

Sheldrake, 

Appreciate the insight and will have to bring that up next time we go in, thanks.  I think ulcers would make sense.

WPG,

She is worried about DCM.

Thanks

Mark