How long a fly line lasts?

Cut up old  dark colored fly line makes pretty good decoy anchor cord. Some duck hunter will take old line off your hands.

Have to try Ccavacini's  old fly line used as weed trimmer cord.   

3 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

If you have concerns, pull it off and back on but in reverse.  New line right there.  

That only works with double taper lines.

• 2 weeks later...

My line life has everything to do with the environment I fish them in.  A few years I lived in WY and the local rivers had silt that just ate up the lines.  Growing up in SE Idaho I found the same thing to be true.  Those rivers that have clean rocks or fishing from a boat give me greater life in a line, YMMV.  

1 hour ago, Fishnfowler said:

My line life has everything to do with the environment I fish them in.  A few years I lived in WY and the local rivers had silt that just ate up the lines.  Growing up in SE Idaho I found the same thing to be true.  Those rivers that have clean rocks or fishing from a boat give me greater life in a line, YMMV.  

Yep, and how we use it.

When we chuck flies as musky, we strip all the line back into the boat, usually onto the floor, where it gets stepped on and dragged through all the crap that's collected there.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:54 AM, C.J.L. said:

If you have concerns, pull it off and back on but in reverse.  New line right there.  

I done that on a couple of my trolling reels with 20lb Braid. I take it off down to the Mono backing and presto line on the front end. I generally re spool once a year.

Hal

1 hour ago, Hal Standish said:

I done that on a couple of my trolling reels with 20lb Braid. I take it off down to the Mono backing and presto line on the front end. I generally re spool once a year.

Hal

Interesting..  I can't recall the last time I respooled braid that didn't have to do with either user error, or my dissatisfaction with a product.  Every now and then I'll cut off a few feet, if it looks beat up.

14 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Interesting..  I can't recall the last time I respooled braid that didn't have to do with either user error, or my dissatisfaction with a product.  Every now and then I'll cut off a few feet, if it looks beat up.

And I do the same, cut of line either because of weed damage or I feel i need to change the terminal tackle. Also I understand, but your not a dedicated troller. Line lengths are critical  to successful trolling presentations having a full reel is also critical when using line counter reels whether they are mechanical or electric. For reels that are not line counter models, using Metered braid is on way to avoid some of these issues.

Hal

3 hours ago, Hal Standish said:

And I do the same, cut of line either because of weed damage or I feel i need to change the terminal tackle. Also I understand, but your not a dedicated troller. Line lengths are critical  to successful trolling presentations having a full reel is also critical when using line counter reels whether they are mechanical or electric. For reels that are not line counter models, using Metered braid is on way to avoid some of these issues.

Hal

Didn't think about the line length deal, you're absolutely right.

4 hours ago, Geoff Roznak said:

Didn't think about the line length deal, you're absolutely right.

That's Ok, Geoff Most folks think that trolling is just about dragging a lure behind the boat. Trolling is a thinking man's game if he is doing correctly! 

Hal

2 minutes ago, Hal Standish said:

That's Ok, Geoff Most folks think that trolling is just about dragging a lure behind the boat. Trolling is a thinking man's game if he is doing correctly! 

Hal

It absolutely is.  As I've said, I just lack the patience for it.  But I like chucking 12" hunks of fur, feathers 'n' flash, and you kinda think that's nuts... 😉

5 minutes ago, Geoff Roznak said:

It absolutely is.  As I've said, I just lack the patience for it.  But I like chucking 12" hunks of fur, feathers 'n' flash, and you kinda think that's nuts... 😉

No! Not at all. When I do go to the Cast, I'm throwing 8-16 oz Bondy's, Bulldogs and 8-10 in Bucktails. Cold weather presentations such as now and in the spring at Ice-out. Trolling is done once water temps go below 50 degrees.

Hal

13 minutes ago, Hal Standish said:

No! Not at all. When I do go to the Cast, I'm throwing 8-16 oz Bondy's, Bulldogs and 8-10 in Bucktails. Cold weather presentations such as now and in the spring at Ice-out. Trolling is done once water temps go below 50 degrees.

Hal

I was talking about the flies.

IMG-0028.jpg

Even I thnk that's a little nuts.