REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Quig

Michigan opener

Quig

I got out today for a while before the heat and miles wore us out. It was a nice day, overcast warmed up to about 75. Birds seemed to want to run, even the woodcock. I was happy with her work, she obviously was working moving birds and was patient, I wish I was. I missed a crosser at about 25 yards, left to right. Had I only waited another half second.

Ended with 6 woodcock pointed,  three of four grouse. All the grouse were large single birds, that has me concerned.

More concerning is my spade female is pissing blood.

Thunder Bay

I also went out for a quick hunt (normally I sit out the opener due to temps and bugs but we were both fired up today).  We got out of the truck at 11am - he was on point within 100 feet of the truck.  Walked in and  stomped around until a woodcock flushed.

We then moved on and another point deeper in the jungle, this time it was a grouse but I never saw the bird (typical early season result).  We then got into another woodcock about 10 mins later and then a long dry spell.  It was about 70 degrees when we called it quits and started heading back to the truck.  Got turned around with my GPS momentarily that resulted in another 1.5 miles of walking.

Good hunt but no grouse harmed.

Hope your female is ok - let us know what the issue is.

Huntschool
53 minutes ago, Quig said:

More concerning is my spade female is pissing blood.

I would get her to the Vet that spayed her or at least have a long direct conversation with that Vet....  Could be nothing/could be something  

ESetterSage

Good luck with your dog scary stuff when we dont know. 

Spin1

I won't get out until Saturday. Hope all is well with your dog.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Thunder Bay said:

I also went out for a quick hunt (normally I sit out the opener due to temps and bugs but we were both fired up today).  We got out of the truck at 11am - he was on point within 100 feet of the truck.  Walked in and  stomped around until a woodcock flushed.

We then moved on and another point deeper in the jungle, this time it was a grouse but I never saw the bird (typical early season result).  We then got into another woodcock about 10 mins later and then a long dry spell.  It was about 70 degrees when we called it quits and started heading back to the truck.  Got turned around with my GPS momentarily that resulted in another 1.5 miles of walking.

Good hunt but no grouse harmed.

Hope your female is ok - let us know what the issue is.

No Compass?

Thunder Bay
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

No Compass?

My truck and handheld GPS weren’t synchronized resulting in my mistake of similar named waypoints.  I thought I had parked at a different waypoint.

Bonus:  Found a new clearcut that I haven’t seen before.  

Quig

Have a appointment for 3 tomorrow, same vet office that spade her. She has since pissed, no real obvious blood.

I liked the Hurtta vest I got last year so order another this year, a cooling vest. Well we lost it on the first hunt of the year. I don’t know if I put it on wrong or what happened. She went on point right by the truck, damned if I can remember seeing it. Hell I was at the next spot when I figured out it was gone. I went back and looked close to where I first turned her out. No luck, she covered 7:5 miles. Damn

Runningdog
2 hours ago, Quig said:

Have a appointment for 3 tomorrow, same vet office that spade her. She has since pissed, no real obvious blood.

I liked the Hurtta vest I got last year so order another this year, a cooling vest. Well we lost it on the first hunt of the year. I don’t know if I put it on wrong or what happened. She went on point right by the truck, damned if I can remember seeing it. Hell I was at the next spot when I figured out it was gone. I went back and looked close to where I first turned her out. No luck, she covered 7:5 miles. Damn

The blood in urine could be from pushing the limit early on!

dogrunner
3 hours ago, Runningdog said:

The blood in urine could be from pushing the limit early on!

Yep. 

Rockford Setters

Ran for 1 1/2 hours in two different covers. My year old pup had tow woodcock points in 45 minutes as well a one grouse flush and another wild woodcock flush.  Ran my 7 year old in another cover and she had 4 woodcock points and there was one other woodcock flush.  Very pleased for the first time out. Weather got warm so we went home.

Quig

I was wondering if she might have bruised something. Her urine was very noticeable, thick with blood. She’s acting ok, and hasn’t needed to pee anymore than normal. 

This isn’t here first time out, we’ve been training for more than a week.

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, Quig said:

I was wondering if she might have bruised something. Her urine was very noticeable, thick with blood. She’s acting ok, and hasn’t needed to pee anymore than normal. 

This isn’t here first time out, we’ve been training for more than a week.

I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck to you both.

MichiganMan

My buddys shorthair was pissing blood yesterday too. We noticed it at lunch so we didnt hunt him in the evening. It is now almost completely clear this morning. He doesnt run his dog much in the summer so it mustve just been a combo of stress, heat, dehydration, and being out of shape. He seems completely fine but is going in for a checkup anyways to be safe.

We hunted 6 hours yesterday. 4.5 in the morning 1.5 in the evening. We moved 70 ish birds. Id say 80% were young, we had broods everywhere. Best of luck to all this year!

WI Outdoor Nut
35 minutes ago, MichiganMan said:

My buddys shorthair was pissing blood yesterday too. We noticed it at lunch so we didnt hunt him in the evening. It is now almost completely clear this morning. He doesnt run his dog much in the summer so it mustve just been a combo of stress, heat, dehydration, and being out of shape. He seems completely fine but is going in for a checkup anyways to be safe.

We hunted 6 hours yesterday. 4.5 in the morning 1.5 in the evening. We moved 70 ish birds. Id say 80% were young, we had broods everywhere. Best of luck to all this year! 

Those are some great flush numbers to say the least.  Just to get a gauge, is that up, or about normal for you, for this time of year?