REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Snipeaholic

Cattle

Snipeaholic

My cousin who runs the farm wanted me to take a look at some of the animals before they shipped out tomorrow so we took a spin around and checked some out. In what seems like another life I had a good eye for cattle and even graduated in Animal Science but that was some years ago before getting in the fish business. We had a fun ride and saw some good animals. I did note my snipe haunts have plenty of mud and water so when the birds show up there will be plenty of room for them. A few pics from the outing on a UTV that was driven relatively responsible.

0A361198-1554-4E44-9EBD-8A35E6F15611.thumb.jpeg.26bbc69a41b6b59f1f86c29aa0ae09dd.jpeg

563B2823-6629-4AE1-A4AA-ADD31DCC6771.thumb.jpeg.6a7218264b78da50fd1b512360b01c81.jpeg

1A9E5A7A-F37E-4C4A-9B42-970C1DC36DFE.thumb.jpeg.ed9b271f306aaa5c06683ef41a858d74.jpeg

C4D587CA-7C40-4661-8CBF-3E5F10E107E8.thumb.jpeg.8a5255d679cc8cbfd4ee3ce548d1e92a.jpeg

1971snipe

Very nice.  Bring on the snipe.  Btw, it's cool seeing palm trees in a pasture.  

Cheesy

A good friend of mine said “everybody should go broke in the cattle business at least once”. 

That was right after my brother in law and my newly (as in the day before new) purchased $4500 bull was found at the bottom of a 40’ vertical rock wall entering a rock quarry in the pasture. 20+ years of cows with that quarry there and no issues. 

My uncles response “I’ve had some ugly cows in my day, but none so ugly the bull jumped off that rock wall the first day he saw them”

Remo

At least cattle don't bite.

quailguy
27 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

A good friend of mine said “everybody should go broke in the cattle business at least once”. 

That was right after my brother in law and my newly (as in the day before new) purchased $4500 bull was found at the bottom of a 40’ vertical rock wall entering a rock quarry in the pasture. 20+ years of cows with that quarry there and no issues. 

My uncles response “I’ve had some ugly cows in my day, but none so ugly the bull jumped off that rock wall the first day he saw them”

Florida is right up there in beef cattle production or at least used to be.

"everybody ought to go broke in the cattle business at least once." is a really good observation. Along about 2014 I remember asking a Texas County Agent what the average Texas cattleman made per cow. The answer was 'he looses $53 per head."  Some of these guys couldn't run a one cow operation.

mister grouse

Pictures show how flat that country is. And some very independent folk live in it too.  I suspect not many outside the area realize that florida is one of the very top cattle states in the US.  I think it was the first area in the US to have cattle . And is a huge calf production area today.  

And some real turkey country back in the edges of those fields .  Its challenging hunting, but exciting stuff .

dogrunner

I see some nice Porterhouses in that group. 

WI Outdoor Nut

Buddy of mine is into raising calves.  That market went soft and he had some room in his barns.  Got a bunch of steers.  Seems like a bad decision and then that market went soft.  I love farming, but not enough to lose money at it. 

mccuha

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that Florida raised more cows than anywhere else in the country   Or maybe they used to. 

Zkight89
2 hours ago, Snipeaholic said:

My cousin who runs the farm wanted me to take a look at some of the animals before they shipped out tomorrow so we took a spin around and checked some out. In what seems like another life I had a good eye for cattle and even graduated in Animal Science but that was some years ago before getting in the fish business. We had a fun ride and saw some good animals. I did note my snipe haunts have plenty of mud and water so when the birds show up there will be plenty of room for them. A few pics from the outing on a UTV that was driven relatively responsible.

0A361198-1554-4E44-9EBD-8A35E6F15611.thumb.jpeg.26bbc69a41b6b59f1f86c29aa0ae09dd.jpeg

563B2823-6629-4AE1-A4AA-ADD31DCC6771.thumb.jpeg.6a7218264b78da50fd1b512360b01c81.jpeg

1A9E5A7A-F37E-4C4A-9B42-970C1DC36DFE.thumb.jpeg.ed9b271f306aaa5c06683ef41a858d74.jpeg

C4D587CA-7C40-4661-8CBF-3E5F10E107E8.thumb.jpeg.8a5255d679cc8cbfd4ee3ce548d1e92a.jpeg

Those wallowed out holes around the feeders oughta produce a Snipe or three... 

Snipeaholic

Copied and pasted:

Florida Cattle

-Florida ranked 12th in beef cows on January 1, 2019, with an inventory of 914,000, 2.9 percent of the U.S. total.
-The 2018 calf crop totaled 820,000, which was 16th in the nation and 2.3 percent of the U.S. total.
-Florida ranked 13th in cow inventory on January 1, 2019 with 1,030,000 head, which was 2.5 percent of the U.S. total.
-Florida milk cow inventory totaled 116,000 on January 1, 2019, which was the 20th in the nation and 1.2 percent of the U.S. total.
-Dairy operations in Florida produced 2.40 billion pounds of milk in 2018, averaging 19,842 pounds per cow. Florida produced 1.1 percent   of the U.S. total.

U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service

Snipeaholic
18 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

Those wallowed out holes around the feeders oughta produce a Snipe or three... 

Or 8 👍🏻

Mild Bill
4 hours ago, Cheesy said:

Do you suppose that the new bull and another bull got into a scuffle over who was going to be THE Bull too close to the edge?

Cheesy
10 hours ago, Mild Bill said:

Do you suppose that the new bull and another bull got into a scuffle over who was going to be THE Bull too close to the edge?

Nope, only had the one bull in there at that time.  New scenery for him, guessing he just got to close to the edge and tried to fly.  Hadn't had any issue before or since.

I don't think they were that bad of looking cows though, do you? :)  Brother in law and I  had high selling lots in the local sale barn.  Those were good years when 5 weights were bringing $1500/each.

YfDGdqU.jpg

Cute little sucker

lCb8FJJ.jpg

ryanr

Am I the only one that read that as his BIL and his newly purchased bull were both at the bottom of the 40' cliff? Couldn't believe nobody was saying things like "gosh that's awful" and so I had to read it two more times, LOL.