REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
spinfly

Giant Puff Balls- anyone ?

spinfly

Does anyone else here seek out and harvest Giant Puff Balls? It has been a few years since I found one, out back in the buffer between my house and the neighbors of all places. As a kid always went to my great aunts dairy farm and readily found them, or a neighborhood sections of woods always had them. I see them now and then at a local park I hike, but they have usually been kicked like a soccer ball by some unknowing person, plus not legal to harvest in the parks. Hope I can find another, miss eating them, just simply fried in butter.

1971snipe

I've always heard of folks baking them in the oven like a roll or small bread, but I never tried it.  Most times I just kicked them like a soccer ball, just to see the cinnamon brown cloud of dust.  If you do fry one, please post pics. 

WyomingArt

Sauteed a big one years ago. Didn't have the oil and butter hot enough. Puffball steamed rather than sauteed. Texture was wet. 

canvasback

They grow around here with some regularity. I have a couple each year. Sliced and then sautéed in butter. Delicious. 

h20fwler

They taste like dirt to me.

I love mushrooms and have tried to cook these many ways and tried different sizes...I don't get it.  I leave them where they are anymore.

We liked kicking them in spring when we were kids.

mister grouse

Very good eating IMO  if you have the right age puff ball  and it is well prepared . First off you hav etc be sure you have firm fresh , solid white interior PB.I there is any trace of yellow or brown interior it is past eating stage IMO.  Ones smaller than baseballs are best for eating IMO. 

Slice thin like to the  thickness and width of ritz cracker .  Melt  butter  in skillet , and get it to sauté' heat, and cook to a nice brown/out not so long that they are like crispy chips.  Salt and pepper.  IMO they ar excellent , but can be a bland taste to some palates.  

finsfurfeathers

In the past could take 'em or leave 'em. Didn't mind the occasionally feed but never found them special like other wild mushrooms untill some one told me to dry them.

Take a white ball and slice it like toast bread. Place slices in food dehydrator. When dry powder the slices. Add to scamble eggs, soups, rizzottos anything that could use a mushroom taste think you'd be impressed. Only thing jar of powder looks awefully suspicious so keep it labeled.

Dave in Maine
19 minutes ago, finsfurfeathers said:

In the past could take 'em or leave 'em. Didn't mind the occasionally feed but never found them special like other wild mushrooms untill some one told me to dry them.

Take a white ball and slice it like toast bread. Place slices in food dehydrator. When dry powder the slices. Add to scamble eggs, soups, rizzottos anything that could use a mushroom taste think you'd be impressed. Only thing jar of powder looks awefully suspicious so keep it labeled.

If you can't find puffballs (or don't trust your mushroom identifications skills or whatever) you can do the same thing with generic white button mushrooms.  I set them at the back of the stove atop the little instrument panel where the knobs are located.  Three or 4 days they they are dry.  They will keep indefinitely.  I leave them whole until it's time to powder and use them.  To powder them, I use my (well-cleaned in advance) little powered coffee grinder.  Makes them into powder in short order.  Drying seriously concentrates the flavor.

SelbyLowndes

Careful with Puffballs, there's a deadly one which masquerades as one.  I eat the small ones but always cut them in half lengthwise to be sure there's not a toadstool hiding inside...SelbyLowndes