REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Dog topper

mccuha

Well for the last couple years I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a dog topper or build a bigger and better dog box to fit under my camper top.  Also every year as of late the no. Of dogs we haul out West is growing.  I was going to build a box like what Craig D has a 6 hole    Well I have decided that a dog topper is the way to go for me. I know there are commercial made ones but I’m going to make one from a truck topper.  I know there was one person that made one this way.  

What im asking is , I’d really like to see some pics of you guys dog toppers whether commercialy made or home made. So I can make mine    I’m planning on turning mine into a 8 hole topper and use primarily all aluminum to make it.  

Hub

I have never made a dog topper and I can't comment, I did end up replacing the doors on the dog box because one of my a-hole dogs ripped the originals off.  Ad sponsor WingWorks sells, or maybe resells, a super high quality flanged and keyed door.  If I was making a dog topper this is what I would buy.  Super nice

Wingworks doors

Just for giggles here is what my young dog did in response to being locked up when I hunted his kennel mate.  He met me about a mile from the truck after his escape (note the broken rivets and blood etc)

door_destruction.thumb.jpg.d3eccb8f139d19d564993e1d2be91af3.jpg

Here is the updated doors he hasn't been able to destroy.  The original was slightly taller so I have a gap I am going to cover with a name plate
IMG_20191020_090442753.thumb.jpg.cb0afb2aca05a9902a4b906da588a7c7.jpg

Dick Sellers

Since I retired 18 years ago, I've had 2 similar pickups.  Both with 8' bed, a topper, and a self-built/slide-in platform.  MY objectives were to be to carry up to 6 dogs on the slide-in-platform and to have sliding draws underneath for various gear.  2 of the kennels load/unload from the left side window and the others from the rear.  The 2 draws provide lots of storage options, as does the roam behind the passanger seats.

P9200025.JPG.8e3178258da7694ac8e865ef4e5668f2.JPGP3100028.thumb.JPG.a8964625d2c9a1ec580eb5c14bc4c20d.JPG

WAGinVA

PM chukarman, I think he did what you want with a fiberglass topper.  You might be able to find the thread but if you can you are smarter than me ( which does not take much).

mccuha
20 minutes ago, WAGinVA said:

PM chukarman, I think he did what you want with a fiberglass topper.  You might be able to find the thread but if you can you are smarter than me ( which does not take much).

I knew someone on here made one.  

Swampy 16
On 9/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, Hub said:

I have never made a dog topper and I can't comment, I did end up replacing the doors on the dog box because on of my a-hole dogs ripped the originals off.  Add sponsor WingWorks sells or maybe resells a super high quality flanged and keyed door.  If I was making a dog topper this is what I would buy.  Super nice

Wingworks doors

Just for giggles Here is was my young dog did in response to being locked up when I hunted his kennel mate.  He met me about a mile from the truck after his escape (note the broken rivets and blood etc)

door_destruction.thumb.jpg.d3eccb8f139d19d564993e1d2be91af3.jpg

Here is the updated doors he hasn't been able to destroy.  The original was slightly taller so I have a gap I am going to cover with a name plate
IMG_20191020_090442753.thumb.jpg.cb0afb2aca05a9902a4b906da588a7c7.jpg

Would your pups name happen to be Kujo?

mccuha

There maybe some guys on here that own dog toppers that haven’t responded because they haven’t seen my post yet.  My topper is coming along.  I finally got around today to take the side panels off that were glass and a plastic fixed widow on each side, removed the rear glass panel, and removed hatch door.  I also disconnected the two ribs in it. I’m going to move them along with adding a third rib to use it in dividing the box into four compartments on each side. I’m going to pick up my aluminum Monday and bend the aluminum for the doors. Hopefully in the next week or so I’ll have it completed.  I’m thinking of using 3/8” plywood for the dividers and a 3/4 “ plywood floor.  I may end up using aluminum for the dividers. Haven’t decided yet.  

bobman

random

Plywood is warmer and reflects heat better than aluminum if you hunt cold weather 

make sure you have good cross ventilation, heats a bigger problem than cold

make sure the base is attached to the walls so if you hit a bump the sides won’t bounce up and catch and pinch a dogs foot under the dividers ( had that happen once and was lucky no permanent damage)

offset the doors on each box so you can mount a dog bowl on the wall next to the doors and not in the way they enter and exit the box

you can buy dog bowls that mount in rings that bolt to the walls so they are off the floor of the box which  gives the dog more room

when you use bolts make sure they don’t have sharp edges you can add nuts to the end of the bolts to prevent it 

pay attention to which way the doors swing so it best fits your truck layout

Grifish

I would add a Fantastic Fan, a common RV accessory.  They don't draw much juice and they will keep the pooches cool when you stop. There are areo hoods so that you can leave the fan lid open as you drive and it will pull the hot air and respiration out. Or you could fashion one your self.

mccuha
7 hours ago, bobman said:

random

Plywood is warmer and reflects heat better than aluminum if you hunt cold weather 

make sure you have good cross ventilation, heats a bigger problem than cold

make sure the base is attached to the walls so if you hit a bump the sides won’t bounce up and catch and pinch a dogs foot under the dividers ( had that happen once and was lucky no permanent damage)

offset the doors on each box so you can mount a dog bowl on the wall next to the doors and not in the way they enter and exit the box

you can buy dog bowls that mount in rings that bolt to the walls so they are off the floor of the box which  gives the dog more room

when you use bolts make sure they don’t have sharp edges you can add nuts to the end of the bolts to prevent it 

pay attention to which way the doors swing so it best fits your truck layout

The only plywood I’ll have is the floor.  Everything else will be aluminum.  I’m riveting and welding everything except where the floor attaches.  As far as water bowls. We use those no spill bowls.  They actually work pretty good.    To keep them warm at night on those rare cold nights. I have a real big comforter that I’ve made as a cover to help keep in.  I’ve actually used it when I’ve kept them in a kennel under my regular topper.  Got plenty of ventilation planned along with slides to cover vents when it’s cold.  Hopefully I’ll have it all together by next weekend.  It’s a work n progress.  Only worked on it a couple days for an hour or so each day 

thanks for the insight.  It’s what I’ve been wanting.  

Chukarman

A couple of points...

Aluminum is f'ing COLD. I made my topper with 3/8" birch ply and had it Rhino Lined on all sides.

I added 1" of styrofoam insulation in the bottoms of the bottom of the dog boxes and the truck liner covered it - bullet proof and great for retaining heat in the kennels. The floors are scrubable, washable, easily vacuumed and disinfected. They do not leak into the bed of the truck.

The interior boxes have grilled opening between adjoining dog boxes. This allows the dogs to 'communicate'  and also share body heat in cold weather.

The floors are dropped about 5" below the top of the bed rail. Allows dogs much more comfort when riding and keep the grass hay bedding from coming out of the topper when the dogs enter and exit.

I made a ventilating plenum with a exhaust blower to exhaust warm air from the dog boxes.

I used indoor/outdoor carpet glued to the cap walls to minimize condensation in the cap. Important for the comfort of the dogs.

I used the dogs doors from WingWorks - they have a square, tubular frame that makes them stronger, secures the latches, and makes them simple to rivet in place. All these are keyed alike.

Below the dog boxes I installed a BedSlide with 35 gallon water tank and pump forward on the slide, with my gun / dog equipment box on one side and and my 12V fridge and slide on the left side. there is room for tire chains and recovery equipment between the tank and the fridge.

One thing that I did NOT do, regrettably, is to provide LED lights for each box with contact switches to light the interior of each box when the door is opened.

I have been running this topper for about 12 years and have a lot of miles on it. It answers all my need from Saskatchewan to Arizona and Texas.

Interior under construction...

191219402_Dogcapinterior.thumb.jpg.a9f4d18efd556314486f1ac57e103b52.jpg

Tommy in his box...

741295065_TommyinBox.thumb.jpg.17530175a12be033fdd024705b8128fd.jpg

mccuha

I got to get some pics on here.  I finished my dog topper today and I think it turned out great.  It has 8 holes , 4 on each side.  It will fit a standard full sized bed or like I have a short bed like crew bed trucks have. I made it out of an old aluminum truck topper.  I used the frame work of the topper and went from there.  One man can’t load it but two can.  It weighs about 300 lbs.   I’m going to build a stand that I can put it on when not in use and will be able load by myself. Got a friend that had one built for him. It’s really nice, made out of stainless but weighs a ton. Has to be loaded with a loader and really have to haul it with a 3/4 ton truck. Oh and he paid a little north of 5k.  Mine cost me about 800.