Iconic western movies.

walt lister

The old Sixday Westerns of my childhood.  Tulsa in the late '40s every Saturday some of the cheaper theaters would have either cartoons or westerns. Under twelve it only cost a dime for a double feature. Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hoot Gibson, early John Wayne ,The Three Mesquiteers etc. Candy/popcorn was a nickle, or a dime for a large. Usually sat through two showings of both on hot Saturdays  and then played cowboys and indians that evening.  No computer games back then.   

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• Clueless1

• Kansas Big Dog

• RobH

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one scene  that almost everyone remembers  

The Wild Bunch is one of my favorites, as well. As are:   The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Hombre The Searchers The Shootist Fort Apache The Magnificent Seven S

I love most all of them, but my warped mind tells me I must cast a vote for "Blazing Saddles" with "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" a close second.

Rogue Hunter

Couple oldies I like:

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre", and "Cimarron" (Glen Ford).

Ride the High Country

Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott

Outlaw Josey Wales "figures I get to liking someone they aint around for long" (Chief Dan George responds) Seams when you get to dislike someone they aint round long neither"

SelbyLowndes

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre" was the best movie of my birth year and I've never seen it except for the 'stinkin badges' clip.  I need to remedy that...SelbyLowndes

I'm little younger than most here so don't know too many of the classics. Here a couple I grew up on that I always liked:

Young Guns

Silverado

The Quick & The Dead

El Diablo 

apachecadillac

I dunno what it says about me that I've seen most of what's been mentioned so far in this thread.  I'll throw in two more.

'McCabe and Mrs. Miller' and 'Viva Maria!'

Dances with Wolves was good, and Last of the Mohicans if you consider it a western. 

2 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Dances with Wolves was good, and Last of the Mohicans if you consider it a western. 

Mohicans was definitely an "eastern" and it also has guns, good guys, bad guys and Indians.

Samuel Hoggson

Shane

Unforgiven

Open Range

Tombstone

High Noon

So many others, but those are at the top.

I see a lot of mentions re: age and what movies you've seen. All these are available in one way or another -- just gotta search them out. Netflix, Amazon Prime, whatever, or one of my favorites -- TCM.

I think most cable lineups have TCM -- Turner Classic Movies. They do the old movies, and without commercials. Love it. Search the line up, set the DVR and there you go. Just watched 3:10 to Yuma this last weekend.

Steve Hunts

Not a western but one of my absolute favorites. It's story line would make a great western just like Seven Samurai became The Magnificent 7. Feels like the final confrontation in Shane.

Kansas Big Dog

All good choices.

I would add 

Kirk Douglas- Lonely are The Brave

John Wayne- Hondo, Red River and Stagecoach.

Gregory Peck- Yellow Sky and The Big Country ( with all star cast of Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Chuck Connors and Jean Simmons )

Clark Gable , Jane Russell and  Robert Ryan- The Tall Men

Jane Russell....WOW!

Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe- River of No Return

Marilyn....WOW!