Iconic western movies.

I know I've said it in other threads but if you guys haven't seen The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada you are missing out on a GREAT western movie.  I'm shocked and dismayed it hasn't made a single list in this thread. Rent it and let me know if you like it as much as I do.

Oh, you can bury my stinking, dead rear-end in the sandhills north of town.  No need to drag me any further south than that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Hong

• Clueless1

• Kansas Big Dog

• RobH

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one scene  that almost everyone remembers  

The Wild Bunch is one of my favorites, as well. As are:   The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance Hombre The Searchers The Shootist Fort Apache The Magnificent Seven S

I love most all of them, but my warped mind tells me I must cast a vote for "Blazing Saddles" with "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" a close second.

5 hours ago, Steve Hunts said:

Not a western but one of my absolute favorites. It's story line would make a great western just like Seven Samurai became The Magnificent 7. Feels like the final confrontation in Shane.

This is one of my all time samurai films.

Steve Hunts

Give this one a chance. Coburn is fantastic.

Valdez is Coming (Bert Lancaster)

Nevada Smith (Steve McQueen)

Waterhole #3 (Comedy with Carol O'Conner, James Coburn and others) 

I was trying to remember the name of Valdez is Coming.  One of the best quotes after a long shot than no one could believe.

Why that must have been 800 yards.

Valdez “Nearer one thousand” turns around and walks away like it’s nothing.

Tony Moore

There was something about the "Searches" that really left a lasting impression, could never figure why.

Open Range, Silverado and all of Clint's.  HM to Magnificent Seven and Sons of Katie Elder.

One that I forgot about that I classify as a modern western is “Hell or High Water.”  No horses and open range riding but replace the lever guns with modern arms and horses with vehicles and boom, modern western.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:07 PM, Zoli 16ga. said:

The outlaw Josey Wales (and anything else by Clint Eastwood)

My bird dog, Josey;  AKA, "The Gundog Josey Wales".

Yep outlaw Jose wales.  Great movie. A John Wayne movie that I’ve enjoyed. It’s not your typical western but was pretty entertaining, McClintock 

For me I’ll mention

How the West Was Won
True Grit.  (The remake was the best imho)

Silverado

Tombstone

Centennial   The miniseries 

Dances with Wolves

Longmire.   More of a modern day western series
Liberty Valance

Magnificent Seven

Wild Bunch

Lonesome Dove. ( The Best Western Ever)

Cooter Brown
15 hours ago, RobH said:

One that I forgot about that I classify as a modern western is “Hell or High Water.”  No horses and open range riding but replace the lever guns with modern arms and horses with vehicles and boom, modern western.

That's an excellent movie, and you're right, a modern western.

If had to pick one it would be a tossup between the Outlaw Josey Wales and Big Jake,

But there are too many to list,

I have not seen McKenna’s gold, this  has a number of big stars,  Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savalas, Ted Cassidy (Jaws from the James bond films)

Barna

Kansas Big Dog

Outlaw Josey Wells is loosely based on Oder #11. It affected Cass, Bates, Jackson and Vernon counties in WC Missouri. Almost all of the farms were burned by the Union Army in those 4 counties..  Jesse James family farm in Cass county has burned by the Union Army. Many think that is what turned him into an outlaw. Just as happened to Josey Wells.

General Order No. 11 (1863)

General Order No. 11 is the title of a Union Army directive issued during the American Civil War on August 25, 1863, forcing the evacuation of rural areas in four counties in western Missouri. The order, issued by Union General Thomas Ewing, Jr., affected all rural residents regardless of their allegiance. Those who could prove their loyalty to the Union were permitted to stay in the affected area, but had to leave their farms and move to communities near military outposts (see villagization). Those who could not do so had to vacate the area altogether.

While intended to deprive pro-Confederate guerrillas of material support from the rural countryside, the severity of the Order's provisions and the nature of its enforcement alienated vast numbers of civilians, and ultimately led to conditions in which guerrillas were given greater support and access to supplies than before. It was repealed in January 1864, as a new general took command of Union forces in the region.[1]

Most of the farmers in Cass, Jackson, Bates and Vernon county