Jump to content

what's in a brush pant?


Recommended Posts

spent my newbie upland career in basic cabelas type briar pants.  stiff, hot and were literally duck taped by years end.

 

deciding to upgrade on pants and boots this year.   Got the old man a pair of Firstlite sawbuck brush pants, and might gift myself a pair as well.

 

for the sake of trying another pair since he'll have the sawbucks for me to run with as well, figured I'd see what anyone else would recommend?  We hunt NE pheasant so it's usually pretty chilly and requires always a base layer (Whether it be a lightweight or cold weather one).

 

I was checking out the first lite corrugate pant, but didn't know how it would hold up to brush/briars.  I do like the elastic waist band...seems just more comfortable and flexible as you're layering/moving throughout the day.

 

Originally was leaning towards the orvis stuff, but they're just too tight.  Again with layering, and we're bigger set...they just are too restrictive for me.  

 

Also really like the Pyke Tioga pants...and normally could care less about looks over function -- but then i realized i met my limit are the dark blacked out grey they use..

 

ANYONE HAVE SOME TECHNICAL UPLAND PANTS THAT HAVE BEEN FIELD/BRIAR TESTED?  LIGHTWEIGHT ISN'T AN ISSUE, AS I'VE FOUND I CAN LAYER AS NEEDED.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Swampy 16

    18

  • chilly460

    11

  • ScenicRoute

    8

  • mccuha

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an

I don't like heavy brush pants so I just wear regular pants and stop at a hospital for a blood transfusion on the way home each day.

I’m a bluejean and Filson chaps kind of guy.  But dans and mule brand make some tough chaps as well. The thing about chaps is you can wear about any kind of pants you like to wear under the chaps.  Wh

Posted Images

I really like Dan upland bibs. They also make pants. the bibs are great for me as they can be worn alone over shorts when hot, or over jeans if its cold or really nasty briars. Also easy to take on an off at the truck. Feels good to get back to the truck and be in a pair of shorts and crocks for the drive home. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
molliesmaster

Can't help you much other than to say First lite's corrugates are not what you want.  I use them deer and turkey hunting down here in the south, threads pull very easily in brush and briars.  Super comfortable but not suited for that. 

 

If I understand it correctly, the sawbuck's are the corrugated guide pants with a briar proof layer over top of the thighs on down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

carhartts

 

I like these but most of the time I just wear Wrangler Mt pants from Wally world with chaps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wear the Beretta Thorn Resistant pant. I’ve had quite a few different brands and styles of pants, I’m a bit of a gear junkie. The Beretta’s are 100% Proof and the lining inside makes them the most comfortable, lightweight pant I’ve worn yet. They’re more comfortable than blue jeans, really I’m serious. And don’t be fooled by Thorn Resistant, after 3 seasons there not a single tear or even a showing of wear. After as many miles as I’ve put on these pants through I started to get a little wet hunting mushrooms all day in a downpour (yes I’m insane with the Morel thing) but that’s to be expected under those conditions. The only thing that’ll work is Grundens at that point. But, comfort is king in the grouse woods and these pants are that and then some and are of incredible quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bluejean and Filson chaps kind of guy.  But dans and mule brand make some tough chaps as well. The thing about chaps is you can wear about any kind of pants you like to wear under the chaps.  When the hunt’s over just slip the chaps 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the Dan's bibs. Cannot beat them. Can layer all you want under them. Easy on and off. You can get the waterproof, hip wader bottoms and more varieties.  Check them out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might check out LL Bean.  They have pretty roomy stuff and a good selection.

 

Duluth trading company fire hose pants are great until you get into serious briars, then they aren’t woven tight enough to stop the long thorns.  I have a set of those with a facing and they have treated me well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ScenicRoute
3 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

I wear the Beretta Thorn Resistant pant. I’ve had quite a few different brands and styles of pants, I’m a bit of a gear junkie. The Beretta’s are 100% Proof and the lining inside makes them the most comfortable, lightweight pant I’ve worn yet. They’re more comfortable than blue jeans, really I’m serious. And don’t be fooled by Thorn Resistant, after 3 seasons there not a single tear or even a showing of wear. After as many miles as I’ve put on these pants through I started to get a little wet hunting mushrooms all day in a downpour (yes I’m insane with the Morel thing) but that’s to be expected under those conditions. The only thing that’ll work is Grundens at that point. But, comfort is king in the grouse woods and these pants are that and then some and are of incredible quality.


i have several pair.  I will attest to them being briar proof and waterproof.  Never felt a single briar.  I do not agree they are as comfortable as you claim. I’d much rather wear a pair of carhartts but I feel ever briar in a patch when I wear them.  
 

I have a couple of other pair on the shelf of other brands I’m going to try this year.  
 

orvis pro lt are good for summer but don’t offer any briar protection. They are lightweight and dry very quickly when wet and then breathe very nicely.  
 

carhartt upland pants are junk.  Too thin, offer zero briar protection. But they’re comfortable.  In my opinion best served as a training pant when working in a field or water work.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
ScenicRoute
7 hours ago, ptwysocki said:

spent my newbie upland career in basic cabelas type briar pants.  stiff, hot and were literally duck taped by years end.

 

deciding to upgrade on pants and boots this year.   Got the old man a pair of Firstlite sawbuck brush pants, and might gift myself a pair as well.

 

for the sake of trying another pair since he'll have the sawbucks for me to run with as well, figured I'd see what anyone else would recommend?  We hunt NE pheasant so it's usually pretty chilly and requires always a base layer (Whether it be a lightweight or cold weather one).

 

I was checking out the first lite corrugate pant, but didn't know how it would hold up to brush/briars.  I do like the elastic waist band...seems just more comfortable and flexible as you're layering/moving throughout the day.

 

Originally was leaning towards the orvis stuff, but they're just too tight.  Again with layering, and we're bigger set...they just are too restrictive for me.  

 

Also really like the Pyke Tioga pants...and normally could care less about looks over function -- but then i realized i met my limit are the dark blacked out grey they use..

 

ANYONE HAVE SOME TECHNICAL UPLAND PANTS THAT HAVE BEEN FIELD/BRIAR TESTED?  LIGHTWEIGHT ISN'T AN ISSUE, AS I'VE FOUND I CAN LAYER AS NEEDED.


Breathability has always been important.  I don’t know how you can layer.  I’m always too hot.  Never too cold.  I want to make sure my sweat wicks.  And if I start to cool off I just work a little harder! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A favorite topic.  As far as I can tell, none of them are as good as advertised.  

 

I have Orvis Pro LTs, they are extremely light and flexible, but may as well be wearing linen pants...zero thorn protection.  Light cover only.  

I have Carhartt Rugged Flex as linked above.  Nice and light, and flexible.  They do NOT turn medium to heavy briars, and they'll tear if you have to push a briar patch.  

Dan's gear.  I haven't actually worn this in the field, I want to buy some but I try some on in the store and I'm hot within 45sec, I'd sweat to death in that stuff.  

Full Cordura faced old school - Brand nobody will know, bought at Gander about 8 yrs ago.  VERY briar proof, and by now they're comfortable, but god help you if they get wet they weigh 15lbs.  

 

I have hope in the Beretta ThornProofs I picked up on Swamp's suggestion, they do appear to check a lot of boxes but we shall see.  And of course they were $$.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

A favorite topic.  As far as I can tell, none of them are as good as advertised.  

 

I have Orvis Pro LTs, they are extremely light and flexible, but may as well be wearing linen pants...zero thorn protection.  Light cover only.  

I have Carhartt Rugged Flex as linked above.  Nice and light, and flexible.  They do NOT turn medium to heavy briars, and they'll tear if you have to push a briar patch.  

Dan's gear.  I haven't actually worn this in the field, I want to buy some but I try some on in the store and I'm hot within 45sec, I'd sweat to death in that stuff.  

Full Cordura faced old school - Brand nobody will know, bought at Gander about 8 yrs ago.  VERY briar proof, and by now they're comfortable, but god help you if they get wet they weigh 15lbs.  

 

I have hope in the Beretta ThornProofs I picked up on Swamp's suggestion, they do appear to check a lot of boxes but we shall see.  And of course they were $$.  

How’s the comfort for you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

PS, I picked up the Breakaway GTX jacket and it looks very promising. The quality is exceptional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They're a little stiff but that's to be expected, but that's just walking around the house, I'm sure they'll break in.  Not even as bad as new Carhartts, as a comparison.  Still can't believe how small they run, but it's a known issue.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...